PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of strength penalty in melee?

WarKitty
2014-05-15, 07:22 AM
Is there any way (on an existing character) to get rid of a strength penalty to damage? I'm playing a finesse character with a level of hit-and-run fighter. It would be nice for when my dex to damage isn't kicked in (since I can't yet afford what I want to make it happen more) to not be taking the -1 to damage every hit.

Loxagn
2014-05-15, 09:54 AM
Hmm. A Graceful Striking weapon is good since it replaces your strength with Dex, and it's only a +1 bonus. But, you can't power attack with it.

If you can spare a dip into Swordsage or two feats, picking up a Shadow Hand Strike and Assassin's Stance will qualify you for the Shadow Blade feat. It lets you add your Dex modifier to damage with any Shadow Hand weapon (which includes, I believe, Unarmed Strikes, Daggers, and Spiked Chains... Can't remember the others.) Assassin's Stance will also open up feats based on Sneak Attack, like Craven. (Grade-A Gouda. Mmm.)

Seriously, see if you can retrain Weapon Finesse into Shadow Blade, it counts as Finesse for prerequisites. Plus, you can just pay 1000 gp to get a Feycraft weapon and have Finesse without wasting a Feat on it.

Seerow
2014-05-15, 10:02 AM
Where did you find Graceful Striking at Loxagn? Because I had never heard of it before, and googling it, the top result was from Homebrew on the DanDwiki that did basically exactly what you said.

WarKitty
2014-05-15, 10:09 AM
I'm primarily a bard, not a fighter. I'm considering a swordsage dip but I'd have to gain enough to be worth sacrificing a caster level and inspire courage level. Already have weapon finesse and TWF, not really interested in retraining (shadow blade doesn't give dex to attack in any case).

Gildedragon
2014-05-15, 10:18 AM
You get Dex to attack by making the weapon Feycraft
There are some restrictions to that but it is generally better
Alternatively: use a bow or take a 3 dip in factotum

Loxagn
2014-05-15, 10:20 AM
Where did you find Graceful Striking at Loxagn? Because I had never heard of it before, and googling it, the top result was from Homebrew on the DanDwiki that did basically exactly what you said.

IIRC it's Arms & Equipment Guide.

Memory might be fuzzy though, don't have the book in front of me.

Loxagn
2014-05-15, 10:22 AM
I'm primarily a bard, not a fighter. I'm considering a swordsage dip but I'd have to gain enough to be worth sacrificing a caster level and inspire courage level. Already have weapon finesse and TWF, not really interested in retraining (shadow blade doesn't give dex to attack in any case).

Hmm. Have you considered the bardblade? Song of the White Raven lets you stack levels of bard with levels of Warblade or Crusader for the purposes of Inspire Courage. You can get some neat stuff going with that.

If not, then I think your best bet might be just grabbing a Sword of Graceful Strikes. I only suggested Feycraft since Gold is always worth less than a Feat. (If it can be bought with funny-shaped bits of metal, don't waste a feat slot on it, as I always say.)

WarKitty
2014-05-15, 10:26 AM
Feycraft is DMGII, but I wanted dex to attack at level 1 and retraining is not in play. Especially with a TWF build feycraft is expensive. The "no feat is worth saving gold" rule I've found really only works if you're starting at mid to high level already, especially if it's something you really need to be effective.

Rather not give up too much casting for anything else though - I'm kind of the jack of all trades so I see this character as more of a competent in melee caster/buffer rather than a melee fighter. If I wanted to play a Crusader I'd have just played a crusader and not messed around with bard.

geekintheground
2014-05-15, 10:47 AM
IIRC it's Arms & Equipment Guide.

Memory might be fuzzy though, don't have the book in front of me.

there is a Sword of Graceful Strikes, but its a specific weapon.

Loxagn
2014-05-15, 10:55 AM
Ah. My mistake. So it's a specific item, then.

And that's fair, WarKitty. I didn't realize you were that low-level. Hmm... Unfortunately, the only method I would know of to have it at level one would be Shadow Blade, but I digress. What weapon are you using, if I might ask?

WarKitty
2014-05-15, 11:04 AM

And that's fair, WarKitty. I didn't realize you were that low-level. Hmm... Unfortunately, the only method I would know of to have it at level one would be Shadow Blade, but I digress. What weapon are you using, if I might ask?

I'm at level 3 actually, but it started at one. Hit-and-run Fighter 1/Savage Bard 2. Currently using dual kukri's but debating if I might not switch that out to take advantage of appropriate maneuvers. Swordsage looks like it could get me full attack after movement and dex to damage, which would be worth the sacrifice. Other than finesse and twf I don't have any feats that tie me to specific weaponry.

Deaxsa
2014-05-15, 12:00 PM

it's also a pf enchantment:
Agile Weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile)

Vedhin
2014-05-15, 12:38 PM
there is a Sword of Graceful Strikes, but its a specific weapon.

I'm pretty sure deconstructing the cost shows that it's a +2 bonus.

Gildedragon
2014-05-15, 12:58 PM
Alternatively: Raven or Parrot familiar, wands of True Strike, UMD ranks: you are golden for overcoming your STR penalty

WarKitty
2014-05-15, 01:07 PM
Alternatively: Raven or Parrot familiar, wands of True Strike, UMD ranks: you are golden for overcoming your STR penalty

I'd prefer to keep the cheese level to a minimum. And in any case that doesn't address what I was asking.