PDA

View Full Version : I made this.... is it balanced?

Cowboy_ninja
2007-02-13, 07:38 PM
Is this spell balanced? i could also use help with the name :smallbiggrin:

Rush Ray
Evocation [force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You shoot a ray of magical energy
from you hands that does 1d3 points
of force damage if you succeed on
a ranged touch attack. If you hit, the
target is subject to a bull rush, and
must make a Strength check (with
the appropriate modifiers for a bull
rush) against a DC of 15 + 1/2 your
CL or your Strength check which
ever is higher. If the check is failed,
the subject is pushed back 5 feet,
plus 5 feet for every 5 points by
which it failed the check.
Magical effects that
increase strength such as bull’s
strength that are cast prior to using
this spell also apply for calculating
DC.

Arceliar
2007-02-13, 08:42 PM
The DC against being bull rushed seems too high to me for a first level spell. It should probably be as a normal spell (10 + spell level + key ability mod) for consistency sake. Also, an automatic 25 or higher on a strength check at level 20 isn't too bad, but from a level 1 spell that's a pretty big deal..

*Edit: I do believe the Poison spell has the 1/2 level based check, but that's a bit higher level of a spell. And even then I for one thing it should be changed to be like every other spell, if only for consistency's sake.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-13, 09:17 PM
Furthermore, the spell needs a saving throw to be first level, in my opinion, but nothing really fits. Reflex...but it's an invisible force effect. Will, except not. Fortitude doesn't work at all...hrm. Too weak for a second-level spell, too, so I'd say this is just barely balanced.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-13, 09:56 PM
I think it should be resolved as a normal bull rush, but using the caster's Int or Cha (as appropriate) instead of his Str.

elliott20
2007-02-13, 10:05 PM
I think using a normal DC where you'd calculate it like a save DC would bring it in line to a lvl 1 spell. so instead of saving against with will or some such, their strength mod IS their save.

Peregrine
2007-02-13, 11:25 PM
Rays don't normally allow saves, so I have no problems there, but I don't see why it can't allow Spell Resistance.