PDA

View Full Version : Master Tiger Claw Bracers and prerequisites not including initiator level

Talionis
2014-05-15, 07:53 AM
A Master Tiger Claw Bracers says it grants a maneuver of the level the Bracers can provide that you meet the prerequisites for. Prerequisites are only in number of maneuvers you would know and don't list an initiator level.

By that logic can I get a Master level Tiger Claw Bracers wear it for 24 hours and know a maneuver that I don't have the initiator level to know?

Girrilian Windmill Fleshrip only lists knowledge of three Tiger Claw Maneuvers and I can know that many maneuvers with Warblade 1.

I am wondering because I was going to dip Warblade in a build and would never get the initiator level to learn Fleshrip in non epic, but it would be a great thematic damage boost. And I can't afford a Master Tiger Claw Bracer until a level where that is appropriate.

What do people here think?

Gildedragon
2014-05-15, 10:02 AM
Iirc: you are limited by your IL, as it is a prereq for learning the maneuver.

But assuming I am wrong: yeah then you can get it.
Assuming I am right: talk with your DM

TroubleBrewing
2014-05-15, 10:28 AM
Iirc: you are limited by your IL, as it is a prereq for learning the maneuver.

You are correct. The item specifies that you must meet the prerequisites for the maneuver in question.

Talionis
2014-05-15, 12:35 PM
You are correct. The item specifies that you must meet the prerequisites for the maneuver in question.

The only thing "listed" as a prerequisite is the number of maneuvers. I agree with you that a broad reading also includes you must have the necessary Initiator level. But does it matter that the actual prerequisites include only the number of maneuvers for RAW?

Adverb
2014-05-15, 02:44 PM
I feel like the stuff on p.39 of ToB is pretty clear about this, but see if your DM will be kind to you anyway?

Harrow
2014-05-15, 03:20 PM
There is a little section labeled "prerequisites" that includes no mention of Initiator level.

However, I feel this is down to bad editing and that RAI is you need to meet the normal IL requirement to learn that type of maneuver.

Adverb
2014-05-15, 03:22 PM
There's also no prerequisite caster level listed on spells, but you don't see anyone making a first level Sorcerer with Meteor Swarm.

Sewercop
2014-05-15, 04:10 PM
There's also no prerequisite caster level listed on spells, but you don't see anyone making a first level Sorcerer with Meteor Swarm.

That has nothing to do with caster level.. but anyways

That is because back in the day on the wotc board optimized bacckwards to see what was the lowest casterlvl they could cast spells with rules behind them. casterlvl 1 for 9ths... only reason it even was a subject was to prove it where people saying they were wrong. There is no rules of cl and spell level in the rules. Only mentions. Feel free to dig it up.

Or better :D

Prove to me what caster level I need for spells lvl 1-9 :D
Anyone? thats right... you cant

answer is 1 for all

Cloud
2014-05-15, 06:37 PM
Talionis, you also need to meet the minimum Initiator Level. Page 39 and page 44 make this pretty clear. Specifically page 44 and the bit on prerequisites calls out the additional level requirements mentioned on page 39.

Also if your argument about the items actually holds water, then the feat Martial Study would also let you pick in the same manner.