PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Build-a-Bard [Pathfinder]

13ones
2014-05-15, 08:27 AM
So I've been tasked with building a bard character for my upcoming game. Every other 'critical' role is filled. We have a front line of a Thunder striker Fighter and Vivisection Alchemist, a divine casting Bones Oracle, an Admixture Evocation casting Wizard, and we have some terrifying Zen Archer/Inquisitor hybrid. So all in all a sort of weird, but well rounded team.

So I looked at the niche that needs filling and I said 'buffs, that's what we need.' And so I looked at the bard. And then it dawned on me. I've never built a support character in my life. Since starting Pen and papers I've played Arcane casters and Marshal characters and that is it. I have no frame of reference of what I'm supposed to be doing or how to build it.

I have a character concept in mind, a sort of traveling story-teller/performer running away from his circus upbringing in order to have more of an impact in the world. He can sing, dance, act, do all that acrobatics stuff while also being pretty decent with a bladed weapon. I was thinking more of a Dex based build, but the Dervish Dance feat is out, which makes it harder to really do well.

Rules for the game are this: Starting at level 4. 25 point buy. No traits. Primary material only (Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Advanced Race Guide, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Equipment, and the Bestiaries.) We're still debating on Advanced Class Guide. 6000 gold to start, no more than 1500 gold on any one item to start. Guns are banned. Leadership is banned.

So any advice would be lovely. I've always wanted to give the Bard a roll.

khachaturian
2014-05-15, 09:34 AM
with pathfinder, unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of support for optimizing inspire courage. but for a support build, you can still dramatically affect friend and foe alike without a whole lot of effort

starting at level 4,
H1. spellsong
1. flagbearer
3. weapon focus longspear
with the goal of dazzling display at level 5

human is good for the extra feat and skill points. the favored class bonus is also pretty great.

for spell selection, bards really shine with immediate action denial spells, like saving finale and gallant inspiration. with the availability of these sort of game-breaking spells, i would specifically avoid arcane strike, since your immediate/swift action is probably better served changing fate instead of with a rinky-dink combat bonus

at level 4, a reasonable spell list might be

0. dancing lights, detect magic, ghost sound, mage hand, message, prestidigitation

1. charm person, grease, silent image, saving finale. can also pick up another spell as favored class bonus, maybe anticipate peril, clw, hideous laughter, liberating command, sm1

2. gallant inspiration, mirror image

useful gear to pick up with the limitations you describe would include
- quick runner's shirt
- utility wands like detect secret doors, clw
- ioun stone for +1 initiative
- cloak of resistance +1
- traveler's any tool
- tree feather token
- brain mold spores, silver, alchemical stuff

13ones
2014-05-15, 09:41 AM
Ohh those are really good ideas.

Sadly I can't take Flag bearer simply because it's ISW, which isn't one of the 'permitted' books. Everything else was super helpful, however!

Abd al-Azrad
2014-05-15, 01:15 PM
The Guide to the Buffer Bard (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b1hq_xhfCFjtAyjJMKrdtxRbtDEC1kNm6ZYfvS6HqIw/edit?pli=1)

Unfortunately this guide does use forbidden material, but it is an excellent resource. I would particularly consider the Spells selections mentioned. That is where the Guide's suggestions go beyond "Another +1 to everything!!" and into "Ways to counteract nasty tricks the enemies may throw at us."

Removing debuffs is as good as buffing, after all. Especially when done as an Immediate action.

jaydubs
2014-05-16, 12:11 AM
A point. You don't have to play a bard full support. You can opt instead to lay down your best buffs in rounds 1 and maybe 2 (inspire courage, good hope, haste if no one else can cast it), and then transition into melee or ranged fighting. All while having good spellcasting, and tons of utility.

Nothing wrong with full support, but just an option to keep in mind.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-05-16, 06:13 AM
I'm rather fond of the Arcane Duelist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/arcane-duelist) archetype. A free arcane bond with a weapon (letting you enchant it at half cost), a ton of free feats giving some anti-caster capabilities and some nice buff performances.

You'll be able to hang around in melee range with the rest of your party, providing buffs and contributing decent damage. It's a good option if your adventure will have rather long adventuring days.

Spore
2014-05-16, 08:33 AM
You are 6 guys and you expect a single character to take the heat of minimum CR+1 encounters? You should probably go into melee, too. My best guess would be a Half-Orcish Skald (Falchion Crit fishing) but that doesn't mix at all with your background story.

For some reason I would love a Prankster (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedRaceGuide/coreRaces/gnomes.html#_prankster-%28bard%29) bard to be played by a really talented roleplayer. The possibilities for improv comedy are nearly limitless. :D

grarrrg
2014-05-16, 10:05 AM
You are 6 guys and you expect a single character to take the heat of minimum CR+1 encounters? You should probably go into melee, too. My best guess would be a Half-Orcish Skald (Falchion Crit fishing) but that doesn't mix at all with your background story. :D

He said they have a Fighter and a Vivi-Alchemist, presumably focused on hulking up.
That said, going melee/buffing would be handy, you'll have another body for possibly flanks, and Inspire Courage is more fun when there are more people hitting things.

Don't forget the Lingering Performance either, it can really stretch your Rounds of Performance.

13ones
2014-05-16, 10:38 AM
For some reason I would love a Prankster (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedRaceGuide/coreRaces/gnomes.html#_prankster-%28bard%29) bard to be played by a really talented roleplayer. The possibilities for improv comedy are nearly limitless. :D

I actually played a couple one-offs with a Prankster bard last year. By God the PUNS he laid down. Like everything was a pun, or a really horrible or spiteful joke. He was a likeable guy IRL but his character made the entire party, and sometimes the Boss groan.

He had a Dragon-Knight chase him around after mocking him for awhile, giving us chance to steal the thing and then gank the knight.

Good times.

And I really was looking at Arcane Duelist, but what I've seen while trying to stat this Bard is that Bards are already sort of MAD..and wading into Melee makes me MADer. Also I have no idea what feats I'd take for an Arcane Duelist at all.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-05-16, 12:04 PM
I actually played a couple one-offs with a Prankster bard last year. By God the PUNS he laid down. Like everything was a pun, or a really horrible or spiteful joke. He was a likeable guy IRL but his character made the entire party, and sometimes the Boss groan.

He had a Dragon-Knight chase him around after mocking him for awhile, giving us chance to steal the thing and then gank the knight.

Good times.

And I really was looking at Arcane Duelist, but what I've seen while trying to stat this Bard is that Bards are already sort of MAD..and wading into Melee makes me MADer. Also I have no idea what feats I'd take for an Arcane Duelist at all.

Well you have a 25 point buy to play with, which really negates most MAD concerns. You could go with a build like Str: 14 Dex: 16 Con: 14 Int: 10 Wis: 10 Cha: 14 and be just fine. Add in racial bonuses and tweak the numbers around. Use Wisdom as a dump stat if you like. Your weapon is an Arcane Bond, so you can enchant it yourself at half cost, netting you a +1 Agile Rapier as soon as you have 4000 gold to spend. Strap on a buckler and some armor, and you'll have decent AC. The Str 14 is mostly so you can carry gear around, pick up Power Attack and have a little bit of a damage bonus during the early levels.

That does mean you'll probably want the Weapon Finesse feat at first level, and maybe Power Attack + Furious Focus at later levels.

Stormageddon
2014-05-16, 01:15 PM
Well you have a 25 point buy to play with, which really negates most MAD concerns. You could go with a build like Str: 14 Dex: 16 Con: 14 Int: 10 Wis: 10 Cha: 14 and be just fine. Add in racial bonuses and tweak the numbers around. Use Wisdom as a dump stat if you like. Your weapon is an Arcane Bond, so you can enchant it yourself at half cost, netting you a +1 Agile Rapier as soon as you have 4000 gold to spend. Strap on a buckler and some armor, and you'll have decent AC. The Str 14 is mostly so you can carry gear around, pick up Power Attack and have a little bit of a damage bonus during the early levels.

That does mean you'll probably want the Weapon Finesse feat at first level, and maybe Power Attack + Furious Focus at later levels.

This +1! Bards MAD isn't that bad since you don't need a super high CHA to be effective. High CHA for bards is only really useful if you want to focus your energy on spell DCs but since your roll is buffer/combat 14 or 15 is the max I would invest into CHA.