PDA

View Full Version : Playable Power-gamer PC's - any suggestions?

Spasticteapot
2007-02-13, 08:44 PM
I'm going to be playing D&D after a long hiatus, and want to make up for my slight lack of familiarity with the system by overwhelming firepower. While I'm not looking for the likes of Pun-Pun or infinite damage, I'd like some suggestions for a build that will hold its own even at low levels.

I'm thinking a caster of some sort - either the sorcerer (Got Evocation?) or perhaps a druid. While divine casters are'nt quite as combat-capable as sorcerers, druids do have access to spells like Call Lightning and Flame Strike that are'nt far behind those of a sorcerer. And, of course, both animal companions and wild shape are wonderfully munch-y abilities.

As a side note, a schmuck I know (he did'nt pay me for fixing his laptop, the @#$#@$!) may also be playing. Odds are, he'll be a cleric. The ability to call lightning/fireball/rip out his throat is definitely a plus.

Any suggestions?

cupkeyk
2007-02-13, 09:10 PM
Coma mage is better than evoc. You can kill everything in one or two rounds with the correct spell by targetting their dump stat.

Low DEX? Shivering Touch
Low Int? Feeblemind or Mindfrost, Empowered Ray of Stupidity
Low STR? Ray of Exhaustion, Escalating enfeeblement

and yes, Clerics typically dump stat Dex.

Spasticteapot
2007-02-13, 09:58 PM
Coma mage is better than evoc. You can kill everything in one or two rounds with the correct spell by targetting their dump stat.

Low DEX? Shivering Touch

As the Guiness Beer marketing department put it...

Brilliant!

These are all spells from the PHB (or at least most of them are), I can start using them at low levels, and saying "I use an Empowered Ray of Stupidity to even the odds!" is just plain funny.

Looks like a Coma Mage might be the way to go. Should I play a human (for the extra feets - useful for both spellcasting AND dancing!), an elf (Darkvision, anyone), or perhaps a hobbit?

Finally, I'd like to ask if anyone knows if there's a good substitution for one of my favorite 2e spells:

Cantrip: Burp. It's used on opposing spellcasters to disrupt spells, and to embarass annoying loudmouths.

Perhaps I could upgrade to Power Word: Burp?

PinkysBrain
2007-02-13, 10:06 PM
These are not all spells from the PHB.

If you are going to play a core only game I'd go for druid over sorcerer, if you are not playing a core only game I'd head for the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil from complete arcane.

TSGames
2007-02-13, 10:34 PM

Low DEX? Shivering Touch

This build can be taken to a nasty extreme with the inclusion of Libris Mortis and either Heroes of Horror or Book of Vile Darkness, ideally both would be very useful. Simply become a Necropolitan(LM), this will cost you like a resurrection spell plus some extra XP, but you become undead. Then, if you are a sorc. or other spont. caster take the feat that allows you to learn the "corrupt spells." Proceed to drain the stats of anything you come up against, often without a save. The reason you must be undead or construct or some such nonsense is that the corrupt spells normal do ability damage to the caster, to which you will now be immune.

For example, Chain of Sorrows(HoH) is a 7th level spell that deals 2d10 CHA drain, half on a successful save, and on a failed save is passed on to the next ally the target touches.

Fangs of the Vampire King(BoVD) is a 2nd level spell that allows the caster a bite attack at +10 attack bonus+STR and deals 1 point of CON and 1d6 damage. It also lasts for one minute per level.

Lahm's Finger Darts(BoVD) is also a second level spell that lets you launch fingers at targets that "strike unerringly" like Magic Missile, and similar to Magic Missile you can launch an additional dart for every 3 caster levels beyond first, and each dart deals 1d4 DEX. Not to mention it has a range of medium, and can hit multiple targets as long as they are within 15ft of each other. The catch? The fingers grow back "when the corruption cost is healed." You're undead, you take no corruption cost and thereby grow your fingers back immediately. That cleric you dislike should not stand a chance, especially if you pick the maximize spell feat and are above 9th level(that's a lot of DEX damage).

Spasticteapot
2007-02-13, 10:56 PM
This build can be taken to a nasty extreme with the inclusion of Libris Mortis and either Heroes of Horror or Book of Vile Darkness, ideally both would be very useful. Simply become a Necropolitan(LM), this will cost you like a resurrection spell plus some extra XP, but you become undead. Then, if you are a sorc. or other spont. caster take the feat that allows you to learn the "corrupt spells." Proceed to drain the stats of anything you come up against, often without a save. The reason you must be undead or construct or some such nonsense is that the corrupt spells normal do ability damage to the caster, to which you will now be immune.

Most of that stuff is awesome, but I have a feeling that my GM is not going to be too keen on undead PCs. Furthermore, I'm looking for something at 2nd or 3rd level - we're not going to be starting off anywhere fancy.

AtomicKitKat
2007-02-14, 01:29 AM
The catch? The fingers grow back "when the corruption cost is healed." You're undead, you take no corruption cost and thereby grow your fingers back immediately.

Strict DM might interprete that as "Your fingers never grow back, since you took no ability damage and have no ability damage to heal."

BCOVertigo
2007-02-14, 01:32 AM
Lahm's Finger Darts(BoVD) is also a second level spell that lets you launch fingers at targets that "strike unerringly" like Magic Missile, and similar to Magic Missile you can launch an additional dart for every 3 caster levels beyond first, and each dart deals 1d4 DEX. Not to mention it has a range of medium, and can hit multiple targets as long as they are within 15ft of each other. The catch? The fingers grow back "when the corruption cost is healed." You're undead, you take no corruption cost and thereby grow your fingers back immediately. That cleric you dislike should not stand a chance, especially if you pick the maximize spell feat and are above 9th level(that's a lot of DEX damage).

I'm not exactly familiar with the way undead circumvent corruption cost, but it seems to me they would never regrow the fingers....seeing as the triggering event for regaining a finger is recovering a point of strength, which can't happen.

I'd make you go over and dig the fingers out of the opponent's corpse after he went down. No free new fingers, you get to recycle you stinky little abomination.

Edit: I swear the last five posts I've made have been simued....ACCURSED VERBOSITY!