PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Attack Question 2

GutterFace
2014-05-15, 12:21 PM
Something has been nagging me and i need some assistance if you guys/girls can help!

what type of damage is SA considered?

for example if you sneak attack with a mundane dagger is the SA damage considered more dagger damage?

if you SA with a flask of acid is the SA damage, acid?

Xerlith
2014-05-15, 12:25 PM
It is considered damage of the same type as the base damage dealt.
So yes, dagger would deal more piercing physical damage, SA disintegrate more untyped damage, SA scorching ray more fire damage and so on.

Basically this is why acid flask rogues are so good - Acid damage is rarely resisted.

darkbuu_1
2014-05-15, 12:31 PM
One exception is if you do ability or level damage the SN is considered to be negative energy damage and does regular hit point damage.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-15, 12:31 PM
Well, looking at the table it gives you +xd6 to your damage when you qualify, which, to me at least, implies it is more of the same. Moreover, the text refers to it as 'extra damage', which, again, sounds like more of the same. This sounds to me like that something with DR will have their DR eat into sneak attack damage with a method that doesn't bypass it, while something that is vulnerable to fire will take one and half damage that also includes the sneak attack if you hit it with, say, an alchemist fire or a scorching ray.

GutterFace
2014-05-15, 01:04 PM
It is considered damage of the same type as the base damage dealt.
So yes, dagger would deal more piercing physical damage, SA disintegrate more untyped damage, SA scorching ray more fire damage and so on.

Basically this is why acid flask rogues are so good - Acid damage is rarely resisted.

perfect. thank you!

Grell Alchemy and Acid Flasks for all!