PDA

View Full Version : Kyuss and Zagan

A Tad Insane
2014-05-15, 03:21 PM
So my group is playing a campaign with the elder evil Kyuss. Our cleric managed to make the dc for the final bit about Kyuss' ritual, and I, who was playing a grappling/natural weapon binder, noticed that the "six armed tyrants" who preformed a ritual to ascend to god-hood sounded exactly like Zagan's legend. After some fourth wall breaking with some retconned RP, everyone agreed that there was a major possibility that Kyuss did find the onld Yuan-ti ruins of Zagan. The problem though is my DM has know idea what Zagan would say about, anything, and so I'm asking on his behalf what the playground thinks an old yuan-ti vestige would say about his doomed ascension? (Mostly I'm interested in were it happened, so maybe my party can get there before anything happens)

DeltaEmil
2014-05-15, 03:44 PM
Normally, vestiges don't say anything much more, since they're only interested in sharing a body and experiencing the world again that is denied to them permanently.

The only thing I could think of what Zagan would say is that one shouldn't try that path to apotheosis, since it doesn't really work, as can be seen with Zagan (became a vestige) and Kyuss (became some worm-monster made of smaller worm-monsters).

On the other hand, the six-armed tyrants could have been a reference to Hextor, the six-armed Tyrant god of Oerth, so it doesn't have to be necessarily Zagan's Yuan-ti cultists, unless your GM decides that this would be a good idea indeed and makes it true for the campaign.

Prime32
2014-05-15, 04:02 PM
It's been a while since I read the details on Kyuss, but weren't the six-armed guys spell weavers?

DeltaEmil
2014-05-15, 04:39 PM
It's not made clear what the six-armed tyrants really were.

The passage just says the following.

Kyuss discovered the ruins of a dead civilization. The structures that remained bore many strange writings, depictions of human sacrifice, and six-armed tyrants ruling over all. Kyuss claimed this site for his own and commanded his people to rebuild the city from the wreckage.

A Tad Insane
2014-05-15, 04:50 PM
So there isn't any canon about Kyuss or the Zagan outside their respective entries in elder evils and tome of magic then? Well, I'm pretty sure my dm will be happy enough to give me just maybe some cryptic words about the ritual and other stuff about how great his kingdom was. Thanks though.

afroakuma
2014-05-15, 05:50 PM
It's not made clear what the six-armed tyrants really were.

The passage just says the following.

It's made explicitly clear down the line that they were spell weavers. There's tons of canon about Kyuss in the aptly-named and most excellent Age of Worms adventure path.

A Tad Insane
2014-05-15, 07:34 PM
It's made explicitly clear down the line that they were spell weavers. There's tons of canon about Kyuss in the aptly-named and most excellent Age of Worms adventure path.
And this is why you have a thread about how amazing you are and I don't. Really thought I had something, but ah well.

DeltaEmil
2014-05-16, 01:21 AM
It's made explicitly clear down the line that they were spell weavers. There's tons of canon about Kyuss in the aptly-named and most excellent Age of Worms adventure path.That's good to know, because that information isn't within Elder Evil.

Vedhin
2014-05-16, 09:02 AM
Although I'm late to the party, yes, spellweavers.

There's another AP that gets into spellweavers, but I can't recall the name offhand.

afroakuma
2014-05-16, 09:43 AM
That's good to know, because that information isn't within Elder Evil.

Nah, Elder Evils didn't have room to go into details about a whole campaign and full backstory. Age of Worms was twelve adventures and supplementary materials devoted to it, which helped. Even then it doesn't tell the whole story. I had conjectured that the force behind the Age of Worms (of which Kyuss is merely the herald) is something else, possibly related to the Far Realm.