PDA

View Full Version : How to temporarily suppress individual spells?

Nettlekid
2014-05-15, 03:53 PM
I'd like to build some kind of character who's thing is having different "forms" (not like a Polymorph kind of thing, more like a boss saying "THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM", I guess more like Atlas out of Bioshock when he goes into his fire, ice, and then electricity forms king of thing) and the best way I can think of doing that is having a character with many Persisted spells, but only some are active at any time. For example, imagine a character who had Persisted Giant Size and Minute Form who wanted to switch back and forth between being Medium, Colossal, and Fine at will without using up a new spell each time. How could that character suppress the effects of Giant Size so he could become little, Minute Form so he could become big, and both at the same time to be Medium, while not just walking around in an AMF and denying himself all his spells?

Cruiser1
2014-05-15, 08:26 PM
How could that character suppress the effects of Giant Size so he could become little, Minute Form so he could become big, and both at the same time to be Medium, while not just walking around in an AMF and denying himself all his spells?
If you don't mind homebrew, use The Giant's "Suppressible Spell" metamagic feat: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10546564&postcount=13

Nettlekid
2014-05-16, 12:27 AM
If you don't mind homebrew, use The Giant's "Suppressible Spell" metamagic feat: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10546564&postcount=13

That is indeed pretty perfect, but I don't really like to use homebrew.

Jeff the Green
2014-05-16, 04:00 AM
Not exactly what you're looking for, but shapechange will let you change shape during its duration natively, and Warshaper's capstone will let you do it with other shapechange magic.

Nettlekid
2014-05-16, 01:15 PM
Not exactly what you're looking for, but shapechange will let you change shape during its duration natively, and Warshaper's capstone will let you do it with other shapechange magic.

True, Shapechange does have a "return to normal and then back into things" function built into it. If other spells worked that way, like Giant Size let you go back and forth, that would be ideal.

I wonder, about Spell Stacking. Now, if you cast Giant Size and then Minute Form, the later spell takes precedence and you'd be Fine sized with +22 Str, +6 Dex, and +10 Con, right? Giant Size's modifiers affect you, and then Minute Form's overlap with those? I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe Minute Form just totally overlaps Giant Size.

If you were to be under the effect of Shapechange, switch into one form (an Elf or something) and cast Giant Size, the switch into a Dwarf, would you be a Giant Sized Dwarf or a normal Dwarf? If you cast Minute Form as a Dwarf, could you switch to being a Giant Elf and a Minute Dwarf as long as all the spells were on you?