PDA

View Full Version : At level 11 how much can true seeing break a normal pre made adventure?

CyberThread
2014-05-15, 05:49 PM
Considering most pre made adventures that are sold and stuff, how much at level 11 would true seeing break the average adventure?

Kazudo
2014-05-15, 05:54 PM
Depends on what's in the adventure. One without illusion magic would suffer very little I would think.

squiggit
2014-05-15, 05:59 PM
If you're not running a lot of illusions, invisibility or magical disguises not at all. It's really annoying if you are though.

Random question popped into my head, slightly off topic: True seeing says that the subject "Sees the true form of polymorphed things". It doesn't specify that he can or may, just that he does. Does that then mean, for instance, that if a factotum polymorphs himself into a hydra that someone under the effects of true-seeing who didn't have some way to identify the spell wouldn't know he did?

Kazudo
2014-05-15, 06:07 PM
Arguably yes, though once the spell expired they'd be aware. And if they were aware that there was a hydra there before they cast it, then they'd probably know out of common sense.

Karoht
2014-05-15, 06:09 PM
Considering most pre made adventures that are sold and stuff, how much at level 11 would true seeing break the average adventure?Not very. Certainly it is incredibly helpful. Illusions usually aren't heavily used in modules (YMMV), Invisibility is already very counterable at low levels, True Seeing doesn't counter Stealth or help spot things like ambushes or traps and the like. Also, the range is very short, only 60ft cone, unless homebrew/houserules say otherwise. A good DM can skirt around that range without too much issue if they want, lots of ranged effects are longer than 60ft.

Also, Invisible Spell metamagic combined with something like Solid Fog is hilarious if you know True Seeing is active.

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-15, 06:47 PM
I know tomb of horrors pretty much requires it at some points. And it's for 9th level characters.

Svata
2014-05-15, 07:18 PM
That IS the Tomb of Horrors, though. It is designed to be rediculous.

holywhippet
2014-05-15, 07:25 PM
That IS the Tomb of Horrors, though. It is designed to be rediculous.

I'd have said it is designed to be lethal. I still can't imagine what Gygax was thinking when he designed that module except possibly him laughing at the number of PCs it was going to chew up and spit out. As much as he gave to D&D, I still blame him for giving DMs the mindset that PCs can, will and should die regularly.

Kudaku
2014-05-15, 07:41 PM
Random question popped into my head, slightly off topic: True seeing says that the subject "Sees the true form of polymorphed things". It doesn't specify that he can or may, just that he does. Does that then mean, for instance, that if a factotum polymorphs himself into a hydra that someone under the effects of true-seeing who didn't have some way to identify the spell wouldn't know he did?

I'd probably rule that the target of True Seeing would be able to see both forms - the polymorph form would be visible but translucent and he could see the original creature within.

Why?

Because True Seeing is meant to be a buff and being unable to see the polymorph form is a (potentially fairly large) disadvantage.

Anlashok
I'd have said it is designed to be lethal. I still can't imagine what Gygax was thinking.

The story I heard was that it was part his own players being really high level and complaining about how easy the game was becoming for them. So he made that.

CyberThread
I'd have said it is designed to be lethal. I still can't imagine what Gygax was thinking when he designed that module except possibly him laughing at the number of PCs it was going to chew up and spit out. As much as he gave to D&D, I still blame him for giving DMs the mindset that PCs can, will and should die regularly.

Called hard mode....seen how popular Dark Souls is among a certain group of folks?

Gavinfoxx
2014-05-15, 07:46 PM
Tomb of Horrors was meant as a time, pointed competition for tournament play where there are competing teams with winners and losers. THAT is why it is designed the way it is. NOT for normal gameplay!

TuggyNE
2014-05-15, 07:51 PM

It doesn't say that they stop seeing the polymorphed form, either, so I would run it as showing the polymorph as a translucent outline or similar.

Jack_Simth
2014-05-15, 08:42 PM
The really fun question:
You polymorph into a monstrous form, then Veil back into your normal one. What does someone looking at you via True Seeing see?

Urpriest
2014-05-15, 08:48 PM
It shouldn't break anything. An adventure of that level that uses illusions inherently assumes that the PCs can cast True Seeing, because it assumes that the PCs will be able to overcome the challenge of the illusions rather than falling into a TPK or something.