PDA

View Full Version : What prc has the best spell list?

CyberThread
2014-05-15, 07:44 PM
Not those lame +1 caster level blah blah blah..

I mean which prc comes with the best native casting (besides ur priest and all its cornies )

paperarmor
2014-05-15, 08:26 PM
Sublime Chord gets Wiz/Sorc 9ths so prolly that.

Jack_Simth
2014-05-15, 08:36 PM
Not those lame +1 caster level blah blah blah..

I mean which prc comes with the best native casting (besides ur priest and all its cornies )

Depends on how you define Ur-Priest's cronies.
Really, though: For the most part, anything that comes with 9th level spell access can be used to make a good showing:
Sublime Chord (Complete Arcane)
Ur-Priest (Complete Divine)
Blighter (Complete Divine)
Apostle of Peace (Book of Exalted Deeds)
Divine Crusader (Complete Divine)

Chronos
2014-05-15, 09:36 PM
Divine Crusader is probably the coolest concept, though it's tough to make it work well.

And a shout-out to Trapsmith, for all its spells at lower than normal level.

Forrestfire
2014-05-15, 09:37 PM
Does Chameleon count? Its spell list is pretty badass.

Jack_Simth
2014-05-15, 09:44 PM
Does Chameleon count? Its spell list is pretty badass.
Considering that it's spell list is "All of them", yeah.

Anlashok
2014-05-15, 09:47 PM
Blighter (Complete Divine)

15 levels to get that 9th level casting though, and a questionable spell list that isn't expanded in splats makes it a bit meh.

Jack_Simth
2014-05-15, 09:50 PM
15 levels to get that 9th level casting though, and a questionable spell list that isn't expanded in splats makes it a bit meh.

There is a reason I listed it just above Apostle of Peace. However, it's expandable with work - Contemplative and Mother Cyst come to mind. It is still a rapid advancement PrC that grants access to 9th level spells, and that grants a certain measure of flexibility.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-05-15, 10:38 PM
There is a reason I listed it just above Apostle of Peace. However, it's expandable with work - Contemplative and Mother Cyst come to mind. It is still a rapid advancement PrC that grants access to 9th level spells, and that grants a certain measure of flexibility.

I'd really like to play a Divine Crusader/Sovereign Speaker. Having 10 domains is almost like having a real spell list.

Dread_Head
2014-05-16, 05:42 AM
I like the afore mentioned Trapsmith and Telflammar Shadowlord due to their lists being nice and the spells being lower levels than usual.

Runescarred Beserker is pretty sweet as well for the ability to add casting to a Barbarian and the spells are at lower levels than usual.

Jeff the Green
2014-05-16, 06:08 AM
I'd really like to play a Divine Crusader/Sovereign Speaker. Having 10 domains is almost like having a real spell list.

Don't forget substitute domain and dips in classes that give you specific domains not offered by the Sovereign host like Divine Oracle. And Heretic of the Faith to get any one domain you want.

nedz
2014-05-16, 06:15 AM
Rainbow Servant — when built on a certain 3 base classes.

Divine Oracle is pretty good especially if you don't get divinations otherwise.
Contemplative is useful, as is Seeker of the Misty Isle.
Basically any which add domains.

Vortenger
2014-05-16, 02:51 PM
Nar Demonbinder deserves at least an honorable mention.

Phelix-Mu
2014-05-16, 02:59 PM
I've always wanted to cram Nentyar Hunter into a build. Five-level PrC with five levels of spells, as I recall. Not the best list in the world, but it does have a nice blend of utility and some offensively minded stuff.

Pluto!
2014-05-17, 10:42 AM
I was going to pop in to say the same on Nentyar Hunter. It's not the flashiest spell list, but 5 levels for Freedom of Movement/Righteous Might/Invisibility is pretty close to the best and fastest spell casting most Ranger/Scout type builds can muster.

gorfnab
2014-05-17, 12:21 PM
Vigilante and Knight of the Weave have interesting spell lists.

CyberThread
2014-05-17, 12:28 PM
Nar Demonbinder deserves at least an honorable mention.

Actually sorta popular for some off the beaten path mystic thuerge builds :)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-17, 12:58 PM
I'm going to agree that either Rainbow Servant or Sublime Chord will be the best choice here, depending on the situation. Rainbow Servant allows three classes to spontaneously cast from the entire Cleric spell list as early as 11th level, and Sublime Chord can use this trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267805-Sorcerer-Handbook#4) to get around the limited number of spells known.

Actually sorta popular for some off the beaten path mystic thuerge builds :)

You need 2nd level arcane spells to qualify for Mystic Theurge, and Nar Demonbinder skips 2nd and 3rd level spells and jumps straight to 4th, so it can't qualify you for that.

It is useful for qualifying for a prestige class that requires 3rd level arcane spells but can advance divine casting, as you can use Sanctum Spell to make its 4th level spells count as 3rd to qualify. There aren't many classes that this is useful for, though.

Renen
2014-05-17, 01:00 PM
Does sandshaper count?
It progresses your base spell list but... it gives a tonn of spells that you might not otherwise have depending on how you entered it

The Viscount
2014-05-17, 01:30 PM
I'm going to give mention to scaled horror. It gives you the entire ranger list in 10 levels (7 gets you 4ths if you're impatient) which is pretty nice, especially since you don't have to be a ranger to enter.

Jeff the Green
2014-05-17, 05:55 PM
Does sandshaper count?
It progresses your base spell list but... it gives a tonn of spells that you might not otherwise have depending on how you entered it

It's especially awesome for a duskblade.

The other one I like is Runescarred Berserker. It's basically the only class that really likes AMF, and it gets some key things melee needs, like FoM, and nifty things like greater invisibility and righteous might.

Of course, all of these are better for an artificer or archivist than the class they come from. :smallyuk:

Tvtyrant
2014-05-17, 05:57 PM

This is why you play patty cake with a ghoul to eat up your ex-Druid levels, letting you enter it super early.

Captnq
2014-05-17, 05:59 PM
You know, it almost makes me wish someone made a spreadsheet of that (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5044.msg75036#msg75036).

Captnq
2014-05-17, 06:06 PM
Sorry. That was catty of me.

Prestige Bard, Paladin, and/or Ranger - Spell lists respectively
Sanctified One - Sanctified spell list
Lyric Thamaturge - Sor/wiz
Nosomatic Chirurgeon - Adept spell list
Sandshaper - Sandshaper

Those are your top picks.

Oh, and if you want a list of every spell list with the spells in one file
Go to my sig, get the EVD
Spells/The Spell Lists v4.02.doc

Every Spell List. EVERY Spell List. For EVERY list of spells. If it a list of spells from a feat? It's on there. A domain? Got that too. Odd ball class from Dragon Magazine? Maybe. I hate dragon magazine. I think I added a few, however. but if it's in a book, or on a website from WotC, it's in there.

ArqArturo
2014-05-17, 06:09 PM
Pious Templar either gets the spell-list from both the Paladin and the Blackguard. Both spell lists are pretty solid, even if the PrC is one or three levels worth it. But you can raise it with an even better Prc (let's say, Fist of Raziel).

The Holy Liberator also uses the paladin list.

Captnq
2014-05-17, 06:17 PM
Oh Here. I'll just cut and paste so everyone can compare.

PrC - Spell List
Animal Lord (3.0 Only) - Animal Lord
Apostle of Peace - Apostle of Peace
Assassin - Assassin
Beholder Mage - Sor/Wiz
Beloved of Valaria - Beloved of Valaria
Blackguard - Blackguard
Blighter - Blighter
Bone Collector - Bone Collector
Celebrant of Sharess - Celebrant of Sharess
Chameleon - Cleric, Wizard, Sor/Wiz
Champion of Gwynharwyf - Champion of Gwynharwyf
Consecrated Harrier - Consecrated Harrier, Ranger
Corrupt Avenger - Corrupt Avenger
Court Herald - Court Herald
Cultist of the Shattered Peak - Sor/Wiz (Abjur, Ench Only)
Death Delver - Death Delver
Demonologist - Demonologist
Disciple of Thrym - Disciple of Thrym
Divine Crusader - Cleric Domains
Ebonmar Infiltrator - Ebonmar Infiltrator
Emissaries of Barachiel - Emissaries of Barachiel
Fatemaker - Fatemaker
Fiend of Blasphemy - Fiend of Blasphemy, Cleric Domains
Harper Scout - Harper Scout
Hoardstealer - Hoardstealer
Holy Liberator - Holy Liberator, Paladin (Remove Lawful Spells)
Hunter of the Dead - Hunter of the Dead
Justicar of Taiia - Justicar of Taiia
Justice of Weald and Woe - Justice of Weald and Woe
Knight of the Chalice - Knight of the Chalice
Knight of the Middle Circle - Knight of the Middle Circle
Knight of the Weave - Knight of the Weave
Maho-Tsukai - Maho-Tsukai
Merchant Prince - Merchant Prince
Mortal Hunter - Mortal Hunter
Nar Demonbinder - Nar Demonbinder
Nentyar Hunter - Nentyar Hunter
Ocular Adept - Cleric, [Evil, Hatred, Law, Strength, OR Tyranny Domain]
Pious Templar - [Blackguard OR Paladin]
Prime Underdark Guide - Prime Underdark Guide
Runescarred Berserker - Runescarred Berserker
Scaled Horror - Ranger
Shade Hunter - Shade Hunter
Slayer of Domiel - Slayer of Domiel
Soldier of Light - Soldier of Light
Sublime Chord - Bard, Sor/Wiz
Suel Arcanamach - Sor/Wiz (Abjur, Div, Illus, Trans Only)
Telflammar Shadowlord - Telflammar Shadowlord
Templar - Templar
Temple Raider - Temple Raider
Thayan Slaver - Thayan Slaver
Trapsmith - Trapsmith
Ur-Priest - Cleric
Vadalis Beastkeeper - Vadalis Beastkeeper
Vassals of Bahamut - Vassals of Bahamut
Vigilante - Vigilante
Windrider - Windrider

That's all of them.

You know what?

I should make a new spreadsheet. Number of spells available by level. Then I can take every base Class and unique PrC list and and then you can crunch the actual number. Then you know that taking Justicar of Taiia gets you 0/7/6/6/4 and Justice of Weald and Woe gets you 0/10/9/8/8.

Levels 0/1/2/3/4, of course.

Chronos
2014-05-18, 06:59 AM
Quoth Captnq:

Every Spell List. EVERY Spell List. For EVERY list of spells. If it a list of spells from a feat? It's on there. A domain? Got that too. Odd ball class from Dragon Magazine? Maybe. I hate dragon magazine. I think I added a few, however. but if it's in a book, or on a website from WotC, it's in there.
An amazing resource, to be sure, and one I've used many times, but you're still missing Genesis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm), Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a), and Acorn of Far Travel (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a). Plus probably more from the web, but those are the ones I've noticed.

Urpriest
2014-05-18, 10:50 AM
I'm going to agree that either Rainbow Servant or Sublime Chord will be the best choice here, depending on the situation. Rainbow Servant allows three classes to spontaneously cast from the entire Cleric spell list as early as 11th level, and Sublime Chord can use this trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267805-Sorcerer-Handbook#4) to get around the limited number of spells known.

You need 2nd level arcane spells to qualify for Mystic Theurge, and Nar Demonbinder skips 2nd and 3rd level spells and jumps straight to 4th, so it can't qualify you for that.

It is useful for qualifying for a prestige class that requires 3rd level arcane spells but can advance divine casting, as you can use Sanctum Spell to make its 4th level spells count as 3rd to qualify. There aren't many classes that this is useful for, though.

Way easier to just add spells known via a Bloodline feat or the like, since you can still cast them out of higher level slots.

Inevitability
2014-05-18, 02:56 PM
Assassin is one of the few PrC's that gained new spells with splatbooks, so you should be able to find a couple of nice things there, shouldn't you? They even gain save-of-dies, something that I don't encounter a lot with PrC's.