PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Suggestions for an Equivalent Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion

Turelim
2014-05-16, 12:21 AM
Hi Guys from the playground,

My party is looking a good have to rest without interruption, so we a are saving to create a Commanding object for invocating a Morderkainen's Magnificent Mansion.
My question is, did you create a similar object before but with a lesser cost? I'm looking for options before spending all our money on it.

All suggestions all acepted :D

JeminiZero
2014-05-16, 12:48 AM
While not nearly as fancy as Magnificent Mansion, Rope Trick (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ropeTrick.htm) is almost as safe.

RedMage125
2014-05-16, 04:05 AM
I made a Wonderous Item once that was basically a doorknob that created a door to a MMM when placed against a vertical surface. It was the same mansion each time, too. Became a base of operations of sorts.

Turelim
2014-05-16, 06:42 AM
While not nearly as fancy as Magnificent Mansion, Rope Trick (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ropeTrick.htm) is almost as safe.

Rope Trick sounds good, but i don't know if we can use it for rest without problems.

sideswipe
2014-05-16, 07:00 AM
just make sure the item is a high enough caster level to sleep in. and if you raise the rope you are basicly safe. in your own little pocket dimension.

Turelim
2014-05-16, 07:25 AM
just make sure the item is a high enough caster level to sleep in. and if you raise the rope you are basicly safe. in your own little pocket dimension.

Good to know but the spell doesn't mention anything about space apart from "The space holds as many as eight creatures (of any size)", i don't know how to interprete that.

Note: Rope Trick sounds safe if we enter with a bag of holding there?

sideswipe
2014-05-16, 07:40 AM
the space would in my eyes be a completely black space which restrains you from delving deeper by an irremovable and unstoppable force. the amount of space in the rope trick bends to react to the creatures inside it. although there is no light in the rope trick there is the window and light has only an effect on the space the rope trick allows to be inhabitable. (i suppose like a stretchy bubble of force with eternally black walls.) there is always breathable air in the trick.

i am sure there is a way to cure the bag of holding problem.

Turelim
2014-05-16, 09:15 AM
Sounds aceptable, anyone knows a way to avoid The bag of holding's problem?

Urpriest
2014-05-16, 09:44 AM
Sounds aceptable, anyone knows a way to avoid The bag of holding's problem?

There isn't a problem. Bag of holding only has bad interactions with things that explicitly say they do, like Portable Holes.

Anyway, there are existing items that produce this kind of thing. The Rod of Security is the closest in the DMG, but plenty exist elsewhere too.

Turelim
2014-05-16, 10:46 AM
There isn't a problem. Bag of holding only has bad interactions with things that explicitly say they do, like Portable Holes.

Anyway, there are existing items that produce this kind of thing. The Rod of Security is the closest in the DMG, but plenty exist elsewhere too.

I'm not really sure... Rod of security is good, but too expensive for us at the moment.

Rope trick says " it is hazardous to create a extra dimensional space within an existing extradimensional space or to take an extradimensional space into an existing one"
If i'm right bag of holding is consider as extra dimensional space, so it would create problems.

Urpriest
2014-05-16, 10:55 AM
I'm not really sure... Rod of security is good, but too expensive for us at the moment.

Rope trick says " it is hazardous to create a extra dimensional space within an existing extradimensional space or to take an extradimensional space into an existing one"
If i'm right bag of holding is consider as extra dimensional space, so it would create problems.

"It is hazardous" doesn't tell you what the hazard is, though. They wrote that line back when there was a general rule about interactions between extradimensional spaces, but that rule was removed before the player's handbook was printed. As of now, there is no actual hazard.

Turelim
2014-05-16, 11:10 AM
"It is hazardous" doesn't tell you what the hazard is, though. They wrote that line back when there was a general rule about interactions between extradimensional spaces, but that rule was removed before the player's handbook was printed. As of now, there is no actual hazard.

Really?
Because my copy of PHB is the version with errata incorporated and the hazardous mention is still there, SRD20.org has that mention too

Urpriest
2014-05-16, 11:30 AM
Really?
Because my copy of PHB is the version with errata incorporated and the hazardous mention is still there, SRD20.org has that mention too

You misunderstand. The "hazardous" line is still there, yes, but the rule that tells you what the hazard actually is is nowhere to be found, because it was removed before the book was published.

Turelim
2014-05-16, 11:39 AM
You misunderstand. The "hazardous" line is still there, yes, but the rule that tells you what the hazard actually is is nowhere to be found, because it was removed before the book was published.

So it can be at DM discresion if he wants to screw with us?

John Longarrow
2014-05-16, 11:46 AM

I would ask your DM if he has an issue first. If he doesn't, then it will be fine. If he does, then he should tell you (or give you a chance to find out) what the "Hazard" is.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-05-16, 12:14 PM
There are also a few spells that are similar to MMM and rope trick in Frostburn, Sandstorm, and a sanctified one in Champions of Valor.

Urpriest
2014-05-16, 12:36 PM

In a sense, sure. But again, this is just a sentence mistakenly left in when the rule it referenced (some general rule about the hazards of bringing one extradimensional space into another) was cut. It's clear enough that a DM is about as likely to enforce it as to enforce the 33 spell slots for Vigilante typo.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-05-16, 01:08 PM
In a sense, sure. But again, this is just a sentence mistakenly left in when the rule it referenced (some general rule about the hazards of bringing one extradimensional space into another) was cut. It's clear enough that a DM is about as likely to enforce it as to enforce the 33 spell slots for Vigilante typo.

To be fair, if they're a steadfast 2E grognard, they may yet enforce the penalty. I recall playing with a group of people who used the 2E rules for a Ring of Sustenance where it worked for only one out of every two weeks on those and other grounds.:smallsigh: