PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Pathfinder] Surprise Round

EvilPig
2014-05-16, 09:50 AM
Hello.

I need to know if is possible take a "5-Foot Step" during surprise round and then attack a opponent.

EvilPig
2014-05-16, 10:01 AM
I also need to know what happen to a rogue with uncanny dodge during surprise round. Can he act normally even when he is surprised or he just keep his bonus to AC but he cant act?

Last answare i think.

There is a revenant with who players are trying to interact. They capture his attention waking him on. So he feel his assasin and the first thing he do is to scream.
So he scream.

Now whats happen?

Everyone roll for initiative and noone is surprised? What happen to rogue? Considering him got Surprise Attack talents?

Yanisa
2014-05-16, 10:02 AM
Yup, you can always 5-foot step (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Take-5-Foot-Step) if you don't move in any other way during any round. Surprise rounds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Surprise) don't change this rule.

Edit: I see more questions

Uncanny Dodge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue#TOC-Uncanny-Dodge-Ex-) does nothing to awareness... So you can be caught surprised. But indeed you don't count as flat footed like a normal unaware combatant.

Well screaming is a free action that can happen outside your turn. So he would alert his allies before the party can react, which means no one is unaware which means no surprise round. Also see:

You can also take free actions during the surprise round. If no one or everyone is surprised, no surprise round occurs.
Stealth is the rogues tool to gain a surprise round, but if he fails and his target alerts his allies, yeah then you are out of luck and combat starts normally.

TuggyNE
2014-05-16, 08:11 PM
I also need to know what happen to a rogue with uncanny dodge during surprise round. Can he act normally even when he is surprised or he just keep his bonus to AC but he cant act?

If surprised, they retain their Dex/dodge bonus to AC but count as flat-footed for other purposes (e.g. Iajutsu Focus) and cannot act.

Last answare i think.

There is a revenant with who players are trying to interact. They capture his attention waking him on. So he feel his assasin and the first thing he do is to scream.
So he scream.

Now whats happen?

Everyone roll for initiative and noone is surprised? What happen to rogue? Considering him got Surprise Attack talents?

If someone already acted to attack him, that was the surprise round. There certainly is no additional surprise round.

Yanisa
2014-05-16, 11:48 PM
If surprised, they retain their Dex/dodge bonus to AC but count as flat-footed for other purposes (e.g. Iajutsu Focus) and cannot act.
Pathfinder Uncanny Dodge gives flat out immunity to flat-footedness, unlike the 3.5 Uncanny Dodge. (Silly enough you can still be hit by Iajutsu Focus Strike in PF, because that doesn't use flat footed anymore.

Starting at 4th level, a rogue can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She cannot be caught flat-footed, nor does she lose her Dex bonus to AC if

TuggyNE
2014-05-17, 12:50 AM
Pathfinder Uncanny Dodge gives flat out immunity to flat-footedness, unlike the 3.5 Uncanny Dodge. (Silly enough you can still be hit by Iajutsu Focus Strike in PF, because that doesn't use flat footed anymore.

Huh. Odd. All these wacky little tweaks and adjustments for no obvious reason get tedious.