PDA

View Full Version : things i am allowed to do while gaming

reorith
2007-02-14, 04:53 AM
my dm allowed my paladin to go on genocidal campaign against a neighboring orc nation. in the names of he-who-never-sleeps and the invincible. without changing his alignment.

what have you gotten away with?

Quietus
2007-02-14, 04:56 AM
I've gotten away with making a 200 foot drop at level 2 or 3, without taking damage.

Top of a 200 foot wall, bluffed my way into making people believe I was on the bad guy's side. Started firing off the seige engines... did as much damage as good. They pushed me aside, I snuck up on one, sneak attacked, too him out, then headed for the ladder. On second thought, sneak attacking him was probably a bad idea.

I got on the ladder, started making my way down. They pushed the ladder away from the wall. I Tumbled as far down as I could on that side before it went full vertical, Escape Artist'ed through the rungs, Tumbled down to 10 feet from the ground, then jumped off. Successful checks all the way, not a single point of damage taken.

daggaz
2007-02-14, 05:44 AM
silly DM, tumble (and falling) doesn't work that way.. You were lucky man.

Quietus
2007-02-14, 05:47 AM
I also rolled spectacularly. This particular DM rewards creativity over anything else. He also has a habit of throwing situations at us in which he doesn't know how we can survive, and expecting us to fix it. Out of curiosity, how would you suggest surviving that?

daggaz
2007-02-14, 05:58 AM
A very large vertical drop? There's various tricks for stopping a slide, but once it goes vertical... Feather fall is a rogue's best friend, I would say. Don't leave home without it. But seriously, tumble won't help you much at all in that situation (it can shave ten feet off the vertical drop), unless you go epic.

Quietus
2007-02-14, 06:02 AM
But I wasn't tumbling while it was vertical; I was basically "sliding" down the diagonal ladder as it fell. Not quite the same thing, and Tumble was the closest thing my DM could think of that fit.

::edit:: Oh, and feather fall was out of the question. That's arcane; We have yet to run into an arcane caster that doesn't want to kill us. It's also worth noting that aside from the intelligent katana and the Shocking Longsword we've picked up (read : Stolen, in the case of the longsword), we don't have any magic items, either.

... Oh, and we're level 5.

daggaz
2007-02-14, 06:05 AM
Oh I see, sorry I misread your post. Thought you fell free after you escape artist'ed out of the ladder. Yeah that is cool.

Quietus
2007-02-14, 06:07 AM
No problem; I may have worded it badly. It's quarter after six here and I should have been in bed hours ago, but I got a bit excited when I realized that I might not get instagibbed by Tiamat in an epic game I'm part of.

daggaz
2007-02-14, 06:12 AM
hehe, yeah, when your group takes her down, make sure to post the WHOLE story here on this thread. It will all count.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-02-14, 06:12 AM
Well, first off, my DM decided that if I dispel a 'shrink object' on a pole that (being small from SO) just got shot out of a crossbow, it loses no momentum. So the party spellcaster and I took a repeating crossbow, put a gnome crossbow sight on it, and used this little combo as a portable ballista.

And about locked doors... find big rock (10-20lbs), shrink to pebble, place pebble in lock, dispel. Pop goes the weasel.

Quietus
2007-02-14, 06:18 AM
Daggaz - you bet I will. One of the "good" PC's (a Dwarven Paladin, I believe) is currently in Afghanistan, but I think he's coming back in March.

Should be entertaining. My character, being a Cleric, is going to be inviting everyone who prepares Divine spells to his Magnificent Mansion for an eight hour Kum-bay-ah, followed by a Heroes Feast. The DM is a great artist, we're trying to convince him to draw an picture of what that whole dinner would look like. Demons on one side of the table, Angels on the other.... it'll be interesting to see.

Oh, and Jacob - I like those ideas. My DM would probably allow those... though it takes a lot to shrink a 10-20 lb rock to a pebble. Might as well use Knock.

Brauron
2007-02-14, 01:25 PM
I turned one large bear into a couple weeks worth of jerky, a blanket, a hat, boots, a waterskin, candles and a variety of fish-hooks, needles, religious symbols and a necklace.

I'm a barbarian with INT 10. The DM figured that my Survival skill (we're playing 3.0) had enough ranks that I'd be able to utilize every part of an animal I'd killed.

I offered everybody a chance to eat some of the bear's heart, liver or brain...everyone declined, and the wizard threw up (and honestly, the person playing the wizard looked a little green) so I got an additional yummy snack.

Quietus
2007-02-14, 01:28 PM
Haha.... gotta love it. Instant simple craft skills!

goat
2007-02-14, 01:33 PM
My honourable samurai is being allowed to torture 4 ninja, because we're in the middle of nowhere and they don't technically exist.

And he gets away with naming, drawing pictures of and making suggestive comments about his horse, because he's too socially inept to know it's freaking people out.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-14, 01:46 PM
Enlarging an Ogre. Or two.

We haven't made that permanent yet, but if we can get it before the DM rules against it we will.

Ravyn
2007-02-14, 04:24 PM
Well.... apparently I'm allowed to lip off to beings who are older than the world and more than mildly insane--without losing my mind or getting its contents yanked out, riffled through, and sloshed back in without any semblance of order. Okay, being. I've only done it once. We'd had a bit of a run-in with one of his servants, the guy shattered a staff to activate a spell that would get him away, I picked up the pieces so I could get them ID'd and this THING started asking me who I was and where his servant was. And I started snarking at him and sidestepping the question. Apparently he found it amusing. I learned more from him than he did from me, I think... and as far as I know he never did get my name.