PDA

View Full Version : Analysis Vector Legion has a 7 deadly sins theme (if Nale had joined)

CaDzilla
2014-05-16, 10:54 AM
Tarquin would be lust. In the traditional sense, he's a serial rapist. In the other sense, he uses and treats people as objects.
Malack was gluttony. He wanted to feed on Belkar shortly after they met and had a plan to turn the WC into his personal feeding ground
Miron is greed because he mostly thinks of profit
Laurin is sloth because she doesn't really move her body a lot during her fights and teleports a lot instead of walking. She also wants her daughter to do the plumbing for the rift ocean.
Jacinda may be either wrath or envy. I lean more towards envy because she steals a lot.
SPG may be wrath or envy. I lean more towards wrath as he's some sort of martial class and was glaring at Tarquin.
Nale would have been pride if he had joined.

Quild
2014-05-16, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure about Malack. But the Empress of Blood would definitely be though, but if you're right (and that's at least surprisingly accurate), she may not have to be taken into account.

Obviously, Tarquin and Malack have shown other aspects, like the fact that they have temper and a certain pride. Laurin has shown greed herself. But you can't expect them to have only one trait.

Maybe there will be a word about that in the book, but since we don't know SPG yet, I'm not sure of this even if it is true.

137beth
2014-05-16, 11:05 AM
Laurin is sloth because she doesn't really move her body a lot during her fights and teleports a lot instead of walking. She also wants her daughter to do the plumbing for the rift ocean.
This one seems like the biggest stretch.

thereaper
2014-05-16, 01:00 PM
Well, I say that SPG was a cold, ruthless killer who has no strong feelings about anything, thereby destroying your whole hypothesis.

And I have just as much evidence as you do.

Durkoala
2014-05-16, 01:20 PM
Alternately, Laurin could be Sloth because she often starts arguing morals with the rest of the Vector Legion, then realises that there's some benefit to herself and supports them wholeheartedly. She always chooses what is easy over what's right.

BLAHMASTER
2014-05-16, 01:24 PM
SPG should be envious of the others' screen-time by now.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-16, 02:07 PM
This one is kind of a stretch, especially since we've only seen Laurin when she was in a situation where teleporting made sense. She wants hee daughter to do the plumbing because her daughter is in fact a plumber.

Jacinda may be either wrath or envy. I lean more towards envy because she steals a lot.
SPG may be wrath or envy. I lean more towards wrath as he's some sort of martial class and was glaring at Tarquin.

We don't know enough about these two to say this. They could embody anything, not just wrath or envy.

Reddish Mage
2014-05-16, 04:14 PM
I think Tarquin is more characterized by pride rather than lust. I don't think there is an intentional or unintentional seven deadly sins theme in action however. Certain members of the Vector Legion (how did they get this name) are characterized best by one of the sins, but then it is even easier to do with the Order of the Stick:

Greed: Haley, Pride: V, Wrath: Roy (his primary motivation is revenge),

Slightly more of a reach: Gluttony: Belkar (in terms of desire rather than food), Lust: Elan (lust for life rather than in the narrow sense), Sloth would be pegged to Durkon's whose character is a stereotypical dwarf and that's just lazy :smallyuk::smallcool:.

That leaves envy for Miko if she would have joined.

CaDzilla
2014-05-16, 04:31 PM
This one is kind of a stretch, especially since we've only seen Laurin when she was in a situation where teleporting made sense. She wants her daughter to do the plumbing because her daughter is in fact a plumber.

There's also her fight scenes. When we see other members of the VL fight, they're constantly dodging and jumping around. Laurin pretty much stands her ground and spams psionics. She gives up easily as well, but that also shows her as a pragmatist

konradknox
2014-05-16, 05:50 PM
I would rather say:

Tarquin = Pride (of himself and legacy)
Malack = Envy (of tarquin's family)
Nale = Wrath (at his family)
Empress of Blood = Gluttony
Laurin = Sloth (I don't owe you any favors, so why should I bother?)

Miron = Greed (speculation)
Jaquinda = Lust (speculation)

Codex
2014-05-16, 06:18 PM
Using magic is in no way lazy. Laurin is sloth in the same way a hummingbird is.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-16, 06:55 PM
the Vector Legion (how did they get this name)
TWITTER CANON! (https://mobile.twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/435651746556149760)

Domino Quartz
2014-05-16, 07:09 PM
Using magic is in no way lazy. Laurin is sloth in the same way a hummingbird is.

Hummingbirds use magic?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-05-16, 07:41 PM
I think Tarquin is more characterized by pride rather than lust. I don't think there is an intentional or unintentional seven deadly sins theme in action however. Certain members of the Vector Legion (how did they get this name) are characterized best by one of the sins, but then it is even easier to do with the Order of the Stick:

Slightly more of a reach: Gluttony: Belkar (in terms of desire rather than food), Lust: Elan (lust for life rather than in the narrow sense), Sloth would be pegged to Durkon's whose character is a stereotypical dwarf and that's just lazy :smallyuk::smallcool:.

That leaves envy for Miko if she would have joined.

Was, at first it was, but now it is for the sake of saving the world. He even said so himself way back after the trial in Azure city.

Amphiox
2014-05-16, 08:09 PM
Laurin as Sloth is genius, though not necessarily for the exact reason given in the OP.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloth_(deadly_sin)

Sloth is defined as spiritual or emotional apathy, neglecting what God has spoken, and being physically and emotionally inactive. It can also be either an outright refusal or merely a carelessness in the performance of one's obligations, especially spiritual, moral or legal obligations.

Laurin is passive in battle, content to play a support role, letting her companions dirty their hands with most of the killing, and deliberately refusing to use a large portion of the psionic powers (ie the HP damaging and lethal ones) she has, most of the time. She was careless in her performance of her obligation (ie Tarquin's favor), retreating in combat to an inferior enemy rather than risk injury to herself, and expending her powers unnecessarily to avoid small inconveniences to herself rather than endure those inconveniences and go for victory (as one truly serious about fulfilling a commitment to a companion would do). She appears to have moral reservations about what her team is doing, but goes along anyways rather than challenge them. She constantly seeks "easy" ways to a life of safety and luxury for her daughter...

Roy's habit of snarking can also be seen as a mild expression of wrath.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-16, 08:49 PM
I would say that even if a seven sins theme could be made from the members of the Vector Legion, I doubt they were designed with that theme in mind.

Mando Knight
2014-05-16, 11:09 PM
Laurin is passive in battle, content to play a support role, letting her companions dirty their hands with most of the killing, and deliberately refusing to use a large portion of the psionic powers (ie the HP damaging and lethal ones) she has, most of the time. She was careless in her performance of her obligation (ie Tarquin's favor), retreating in combat to an inferior enemy rather than risk injury to herself, and expending her powers unnecessarily to avoid small inconveniences to herself rather than endure those inconveniences and go for victory (as one truly serious about fulfilling a commitment to a companion would do).

A support role is hardly passive. While fighting the Order, she was the one who allowed the triceratops to cut off Bloodfeast at every turn, used plenty of "mental blasts" (I never checked the Geekery thread to find out what they decided the blasts were) that seem to have disorienting effects. Mobility and crowd control are extremely powerful supporting roles.

Also, she retreated because it was clear that Vaarsuvius had drained too much of her power by forcing her to spend it on counterspells. That's not sloth or cowardice, it's knowing when to fold 'em and walk away.

Hamste
2014-05-17, 06:52 AM
Hummingbirds use magic?

Have you seen how many flaps they get per minute? If that isn't magical, I don't know what is. They can also fly backwards or hover, that must be witchery! What is more, hummingbirds float, you know what else floats? Small rocks...erm, I mean wood which we all know is what witches are made from. The people of Salem were all wrong, they should have put more focus on burning all the hummingbirds.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-17, 06:56 AM
Have you seen how many flaps they get per minute? If that isn't magical, I don't know what is. They can also fly backwards or hover, that must be witchery! What is more, hummingbirds float, you know what else floats? Small rocks...erm, I mean wood which we all know is what witches are made from. The people of Salem were all wrong, they should have put more focus on burning all the hummingbirds.

Tell me. What do you do with hummingbirds?

Burn them!

CaDzilla
2014-05-17, 06:59 AM

It's not magic, it's psionics, there's a difference
and behold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj5huCuhD_Q)

King of Nowhere
2014-05-17, 07:36 AM
i think this is really a big stretch. tarquin is as prideful as nale, in a slightly different manner. and all ohers are quite forced too

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-17, 09:28 AM
i think this is really a big stretch. tarquin is as prideful as nale, in a slightly different manner. and all ohers are quite forced too

Actually, I think the one for Miron works well, from what we've seen of him. However, 1/7 isn't quite enough.

Yorkshireman
2014-05-17, 03:57 PM
If you think about it, Laurin is pretty jealous of the Elves. With that in mind I'd suggest:

Tarquin = Lust
Malack = Gluttony
Miron = Greed
Laurin = Envy
Jacinda = Wrath
SPG = Sloth.

I mean, come on, the guy hasn't even bothered to have a canon name :smalltongue:

Oddity222
2014-05-17, 04:13 PM
I whole heartily agree about Laurin representing envy, with her jealousy towards elves, and people having better life than her. But I think:

Tarquin - Gluttony - in the sense of intoxication with his future legend, and being addicted to story tropes. He also wants more and more, but spoils it easily, like sending hundreds of his soldiers to death, and killing people just create giant flaming letters.

Malack - Wrath - he easily lost his temper whenever around Nale, and he got livid when Durkon rejected him. Malack doesn't loose his temper exactly easily, but when was angry, he was always going all out with it.

ReaderAt2046
2014-05-18, 01:34 PM
I'd put it as:

Tarquin: Pride. He believes that the story revolves around him, and is willing to do anything to avoid becoming a beta character.

Laurin: Envy. Laurin absolutely hates elves for forcing humans into the ****ty part of the continent and hogging all the good land.

Miron: Greed. His entire motivation seems to be money.

John Coake
2014-05-18, 07:48 PM
SPG is clearly the only one who is related to the 7 sins, due to him representing ALL OF THEM AT ONCE! Clearly he is so evil and sinful, that he cannot have any screentime.

Cavenskull
2014-05-18, 08:12 PM
Shoulder Pad Guy is sloth, because we never really see him doing much of anything.

b_jonas
2014-05-19, 10:22 AM
Nale would have been pride if he had joined.

Thog is definitely glutttony. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html)

Sabine is probably lust.

Yikyik might be wrath, and Zz'dtri or Hilgya might be envy. Or something.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-05-19, 01:47 PM
Thog is definitely glutttony. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html)

Sabine is probably lust.

Yikyik might be wrath, and Zz'dtri or Hilgya might be envy. Or something.

I'm not sure how Zz'dtri or Hilgya qualify for envy. In fact, I don't think they fit any sin well.

ben-zayb
2014-05-20, 03:23 AM
Personally, i think <insert vector legion member> represents <insert deadly sin>, while *rounds up the rest of the legion*

*makes some reasoning, ridiculous or not, to support his preconceived conclusions*

Hamste
2014-05-22, 08:51 PM
Personally, i think <insert vector legion member> represents <insert deadly sin>, while *rounds up the rest of the legion*

*makes some reasoning, ridiculous or not, to support his preconceived conclusions*

Some very good points made here. I think ben-zayb is the closest one so far on this matter. Obviously <insert vector legion member>, is <insert deadly sin here>. How did I not see it before!