PDA

View Full Version : Stats for a Dread Necromancer

Grayson01
2014-05-16, 12:10 PM
Okay I have a Choice between to sets of a Stats for a Dread Necromancer. Want to Focus on on Minions, debuffs, and Fear effects. Mellee is less of an importance but a back up option. The race I am picking is Star Elf (from the Unapproachable East pg 9) +2 CHA -2 Con or Moon Elf +2 Dex -2 Con. The Martial Weapon I am Choosing is the Naganata (Oriental Adventures) 1d10, reach, Slashing, X3. Which one should I pick and which ability should I assign to each Stat.

Stats
15 16
15 17
11 14
16 13
18 13
15 17

Doc_Maynot
2014-05-16, 12:22 PM
Okay I have a Choice between to sets of a Stats for a Dread Necromancer. Want to Focus on on Minions, debuffs, and Fear effects. Mellee is less of an importance but a back up option. The race I am picking is Star Elf (from the Unapproachable East pg 9) +2 CHA -2 Con or Moon Elf +2 Dex -2 Con. The Martial Weapon I am Choosing is the Naganata (Oriental Adventures) 1d10, reach, Slashing, X3. Which one should I pick and which ability should I assign to each Stat.

Stats
15 16
15 17
11 14
16 13
18 13
15 17

Array numero uno putting that beautiful 18 in Cha (If you can't pick though, go with the second.)

Might I reccomend the Duom. Same as the Naganata, but instead of slashing it does piercing. The benefits are that you can use it to attack adjacent foes.

Drogorn
2014-05-16, 12:25 PM
You'll want to be a necropolitan, so take the first set and put your 11 in con and your 18 in cha. The others can go wherever. The 11 con will become a 9 because of your race, and then be obliterated by necropolitan. You may also want to consider having your character's age be Old.

Silva Stormrage
2014-05-16, 12:31 PM
You'll want to be a necropolitan, so take the first set and put your 11 in con and your 18 in cha. The others can go wherever. The 11 con will become a 9 because of your race, and then be obliterated by necropolitan. You may also want to consider having your character's age be Old.

The 16 would probably be best placed in Dex for a DN, they have a decent amount of ray attacks.

But yes seconded the first array with becoming a necropolitian.

And go with star elf. Charisma is everything for a DN.

Grayson01
2014-05-16, 12:31 PM

No Go on the Necropolitan DM call.

@DR_maynot I will have a Spiked Gauntlet for adjacent foes, prefer the Naganata for flavor reasons but thanks for the info.

tyckspoon
2014-05-16, 12:32 PM
Array numero uno putting that beautiful 18 in Cha (If you can't pick though, go with the second.)

From an optimization perspective, this is absolutely correct - your casting stat is the #1 most important thing, so take the array with the 18, put it in Cha, and be a Star Elf. If you're planning on being undead at some point, do like Drogorn said. If not, put the 16 on Con (if you're not planning on being Undead until very late in the character's career, do this anyway. It'll help keep you alive until you can ditch your stupid frail mortal shell.) The rest of the stats can go pretty much wherever you want, it won't make a huge difference to you.