PDA

View Full Version : RPing a legit Fey

The Oni
2014-05-16, 12:50 PM
So, I talked my GM into letting me play a Gathlain, which for PF players is the example race created in the race builder when Paizo introduced it. It doesn't matter too much if you're not a PF player, since they don't have a helluva lot of fluff surrounding them, other than that they're feyworlders and were probably born from seeds? Anyway, they're about three feet tall with fully-functional wings made of some kind of ivy; they get some 1st-level spell-likes but really the wings are the draw.

He's all statted - an LE cleric with good mental stats all round (14/14/14) but he doesn't mind getting in frontline combat if need be (with a boosted 20 Dex, he's dodgy). His patron is one of the oldest Fey in existence, the Green Mother, who despite her fairly innocuous name is in no way a nice lady and is probably plotting to stab and/or eat at least one of her friends/followers/assistants at any given moment, and who has gifted him with an artifact that masks his evilness from the good-and-neutral-aligned party

So, because he's a Lawful Evil fey, I'm thinking that playing him with a very rigid sense of honor - and then tying that sense of honor to a code of ethics clearly written in crayon by an 1800's asylum inmate - is probably the way to go on this one. With even stats like he has he's not unhinged, mentally, and even a bit charming - so he also needs to be able to defend that code when called on it (whether or not the defense is valid to the average human is irrelevant, he just needs to make the argument sincerely).

In theory I know how to do this, but I've never played a character who wasn't at the very least from the Material Plane, so this could be challenging, and I probably need all the help I can get.

So. Ideas.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-16, 12:55 PM
What's his motivation? Having an inhuman motivation and following it with no respect for mortals (because really--they're pitiable bugs, they don't deserve to be respected as proper beings).

Why does he have to explain his code to humans? It's justification enough that it exists and he holds it. :smallbiggrin: He wants to, and that's all that matters for him, so long as it's consistent.

The Oni
2014-05-16, 01:06 PM
His motivation is furthering the aims of his dark mistress (whether because he actually cares about said aims or because he's just scared of the level 40+ fey whose portfolio includes carnivorous plants is to be left ambiguous). She's specifically instructed him to work with the party, so he's going to do that, and he'll attempt to explain himself for the sake of party unity (hopefully, to terrifying effect).

Eisenheim
2014-05-16, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure the code really needs to be that out there to convey the disturbing and inhuman nature of such a character. It just needs to be pursued without a shred of compassion, empathy or concern for any value other than that personal code. Standard lawful elements, like rigid adherence to to terms of a contract can be played out and always paying your debts and demanding the same of others can play out as completely insane if you have no consideration of people's circumstances when you demand they meet the obligations you take them to have, and likewise, if you pay attention to the words and don't take on board any of the assumptions that usually come with the agreement. The fey in the Dresden Files are pretty good models for this.

One very common theme in fey mythology is seemingly harmless actions carrying large obligations or dangers. Things like eating or drinking in Fairy binding you to it forever or gifts placing a huge obligation on a fey to basically do whatever the giver asks them to clear the debt, or knowing someone's name allowing you to bind and command them. An evil twist on that sort of thing would simply to hold others bound by the same mystical rules that govern fey, and to expect them to do what they're supposed to without ever explaining it to them. Then you punish them for not keeping a code they never knew existed.

Demidos
2014-05-16, 01:13 PM
A thought -- While you do have that whole "code" thing going, really any alignment can have a code. Following one's own personal beliefs regardless of the rest of society is the trait of a Chaotic. Lawful would (at least, in my world) respect the laws of any culture powerful enough to threaten him.

My three cents.

Yora
2014-05-16, 01:16 PM
My approach to fey is that they just do their thing and never feel any need to explain or justify anything to irrelevant mortals. You either humor them and go along with their demans, or get out of their way. Since the whole point of their nature lies in being unpredictable and acting on reason not comparable to human minds, I don't feel like I could ever come up with anything that would be satisfactory coherent.

Which admitedly works well for beings of chaos, but probably doesn't help at all for a strong follower of order.

The Oni
2014-05-16, 01:39 PM
An evil twist on that sort of thing would simply to hold others bound by the same mystical rules that govern fey, and to expect them to do what they're supposed to without ever explaining it to them. Then you punish them for not keeping a code they never knew existed.

Ooh, that sounds fun. Yeah, let's do that.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-16, 02:47 PM
I like Exalted's idea that Fey are basically stories that have decided to take on the mantel of intelligence and identity. Of course, stories have rules, and I'd try to manipulate events to they make the best story, and get incensed and frustrated when things don't follow those rules.

TheCountAlucard
2014-05-16, 02:48 PM
How's his Cup looking? That is, how much does he desire to be desired? Is he the sort who'd want to foster emotions toward him in others? If he could, would he addict people to his presence? Obviously he's got a high Charisma, but can he inspire? Would he even care to?

How about his Ring? How strong is his sense of purpose? Is he the definer of who he is? Given his Lawful bent, it seems likely to want to establish something lasting.

And his Staff? Sure, he can talk to people, but does he interact with them, or does he subscribe to a sort of solipsism? Diplomatic action, from forging alliances and swearing oaths to convincing a man to trade you his soul for a bowl of cold soup, fall under the Staff.

Tell me about his Sword; is his willingness to assert his wishes over others a stunted thing, or does his capacity for conflict make him beautiful and terrible to behold?

The Oni
2014-05-17, 10:00 AM
Ok, these are all great suggestions and I will ruminate deeply upon them.

Now, being that this guy is a flying charger that specializes in pushing people around bullrushes and overruns (Growth Domain Enlarge Person as a swift action FTW), the first name that came to mind is "Roosevelt Ragnvald." Roosevelt literally means "field of roses" and is not altogether an un-fey name, but the DM isn't diggin' it because I guess he hates fun doesn't think anyone can take it seriously on account of the Presidents. I tried looking up Celtic names (traditional for Fey I understand) but nothing really jumped out at me. Any suggestions?

TheCountAlucard
2014-05-17, 10:46 AM
Could explain to the GM that both Presidents Roosevelt were pretty much fairy-tale characters brought to life.

Teddy, for instance, was a boxer while he was President, and his pugilistic tendencies led to him taking a hit that permanently blinded him in one eye; what does he do in response to that? Learn judo.

TroubleBrewing
2014-05-18, 12:03 AM
"Death had to take Roosevelt sleeping, for if he had been awake, there would have been a fight." - Former Vice President Thomas Marshall.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-18, 12:24 AM
"Death had to take Roosevelt sleeping, for if he had been awake, there would have been a fight." - Former Vice President Thomas Marshall.
Just remember, Brewster is code for Roosevelt.:smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2014-05-18, 11:36 AM
Also, who says ya gotta go European to go traditional Fair One? Everywhere from Europe to India to the Americas has had all manner of wild gods, trickster-spirits, and other assorted brownies.

The Oni
2014-05-18, 12:03 PM
So in the end, I said "screw it" and flipped the names. The name's too perfect not to use. So far everyone in the party really likes the character.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-05-18, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure the code really needs to be that out there to convey the disturbing and inhuman nature of such a character. It just needs to be pursued without a shred of compassion, empathy or concern for any value other than that personal code.
Definitely! Play them as a creature without a concept of "understanding". Humans have all sorts of by-laws and "understandings" between them, assuming things that aren't specifically set in stone. We have this notion that "well I didn't really mean it..." or understand that implications aren't always intentional or meaningful.

Strip that fuzziness away.