PDA

View Full Version : Half Hydra Characters

starburns
2014-05-16, 02:24 PM
As a DM, me and my players were having lunch together one day and joking around about the game. I started joking around about if there was some sort of hydra hybrid that could regrow lost arms and legs like a hydra regrows head. My players stopped dead in their tracks and started begging me to build such a race, and offered to sacrifice their current characters to Vecna to learn the secrets of the Half Hydra.
So I built one.
I don't know how or why a Half Hydra comes into being, probably some Tainted Scholar with a hydra fetish, but I'll write the fluff for it later.
I followed the LA adjustment estimation guidelines from savage species and am torn between whether it constitutes an LA +3 or +4 race.
Also any suggestions to make it better/more interesting or suggestions for fluff are appreciated.

Half Hydra characters possess the following racial traits.
• Str +4 Dex +2 Con +8 Int -4 Cha -2.
• Humanoid.
• Medium size.
• A Half Hydra’s base land speed is 30 feet and swim speed is 20 feet.
• Darkvision out to 60 feet.
• Lowlight Vision.
• Natural Bite attack: 1d8 plus Str.
• +4 Natural Armor.
• +2 on Listen and Spot Checks.
• +8 on Swim Checks.
• Scent: A Half Hydra has the scent ability.
• Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat.
• Hydra regeneration: A half-hydra enter a state of regeneration that grants fast healing equal to her constitution modifier (Min 1) and lasts for as many rounds as her constitution score. During this state, any severed limbs are grown back in 1d4+1 rounds. Legs are merely grown back. Two fully functioning arms are grown back in the place of a lost one. A half-Hydra may never have more than twice the number of original arms (4). Heads and other vital organs are not grown back, but can be and are reattached 1 round after putting the head back on the stump. The body is alive and fully functioning as long as the Hydra Regeneration lasts. A half Hydra can enter Hydra Regeneration as a free action, or as an immediate action if a head or vital is severed. Hydra Regeneration can be used a number of times per day equal to the Half-hydras constitution modifier.
• Extra Arms: A half hydra (through use of Hydra Regeneration and loss of limb) can grow extra arms. These arms function in all respects as a typical arm and can be used to wield light or 1 handed weapons, assist in wielding 2 handed weapons, assist in the use of projectile weapons, or manipulate any mundane or magical item that a regular arm can. They do not, however, grant extra magic item spaces; for example, a half hydra with 4 arms can still only benefit from the use of two rings. Any arms in excess of the normal amount (2) whither away and fall off 4 hours after growth.
• Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Sylvan, Aquan.
• Favored Class: Barbarian.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-16, 02:30 PM
I think they should have two heads, for added hydra flavour, one for each lobe.

Red Fel
2014-05-16, 02:38 PM
You could go for the Multi-headed (Lernaean) template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20020621a). The math of the LAs is a pain, but basically, you gain the multiple heads, and unless they're sealed with acid or fire, you can grow new ones.

It wouldn't be too hard to modify that to cover limbs instead; I imagine it would require a smaller LA, all things considered.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-16, 02:49 PM
You could go for the Multi-headed (Lernaean) template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20020621a). The math of the LAs is a pain, but basically, you gain the multiple heads, and unless they're sealed with acid or fire, you can grow new ones.

It wouldn't be too hard to modify that to cover limbs instead; I imagine it would require a smaller LA, all things considered.

Hard to say. Immunity to vorpel swords and similar effects is less useful than being able to hold more weapons.

icefractal
2014-05-16, 06:20 PM
I think I would say LA +2, mainly for the strong stat bonuses. It's got good abilities, but not significantly better than, say a Mineral Warrior Goliath (LA +2).

Definitely not LA +4, that's Pixie territory!

ben-zayb
2014-05-16, 08:51 PM
I think I would say LA +2, mainly for the strong stat bonuses. It's got good abilities, but not significantly better than, say a Mineral Warrior Goliath (LA +2).

Definitely not LA +4, that's Pixie territory!
Nah. A mineral warrior and lolth-touched templated creature gains +8 Str, +10 Con, -2 mental scores for LA+2, and you get to choose your race. This is probably LA+1. LA+2 tops.

Angelalex242
2014-05-16, 09:05 PM
Hail Hydra!

...wait, no, that Hydra.

Anyways, even if such a template were allowed, there's a problem with it. Who wants to sit down and have lunch with a guy with 10 heads? Who wants to let him in the inn? Who wants to be within 50 feet of him?

Hazuki
2014-05-16, 09:08 PM
Who wants to sit down and have lunch with a guy with 10 heads? Who wants to let him in the inn? Who wants to be within 50 feet of him?Somebody who wants a harem, but has a tight budget?

starburns
2014-05-18, 04:12 PM
I think I would say LA +2, mainly for the strong stat bonuses. It's got good abilities, but not significantly better than, say a Mineral Warrior Goliath (LA +2).Definitely*not LA +4, that's Pixie territory!

Yeah, I think savage species is a little off on their estimates. And oddly enough the player who wants to play a half hydra the most is already a pixie.