PDA

View Full Version : Computer Repair

Grytorm
2014-05-16, 07:03 PM
Hello, a few weeks ago my computer broke and I have yet to get it repaired. The problem is almost definately the fan which was making noises for quite a while and no longer works consistently. What would it reasonable take to fix it?

Grinner
2014-05-16, 07:22 PM
Are you asking how much is a reasonable price for repair? Or how hard it would be to repair yourself?

Either way, I'd start by telling us a little more about the problem. What exactly is happening? Is the computer freezing intermittently? Which fan is it? How is this affecting your usage of the computer?

AgentofOdd
2014-05-16, 07:37 PM
Also, when it comes to replacing the fan, the biggest question would be; is the computer a desktop or a laptop? Desktops aren't too hard, laptops (with a few exceptions) are very difficult and time consuming.

tyckspoon
2014-05-16, 07:47 PM
Also, when it comes to replacing the fan, the biggest question would be; is the computer a desktop or a laptop? Desktops aren't too hard, laptops (with a few exceptions) are very difficult and time consuming.

^

A desktop fan will take you maybe ten dollars and a few minutes to change out (exception: it's actually the power supply fan that is going out, in which case you have a little bit larger problem. That'd be ~$40 for a decent basic power supply and a little bit more computer knowledge to actually change out. Still easy enough that it's not worth paying somebody else to do it, tho.) A laptop fan.. well, you can still actually change it yourself, but it sometimes takes rarer tools to get the cases open and you're a lot more likely to break something else on the way. Should be a relatively cheap job for a proper computer repair shop, tho.

Grytorm
2014-05-16, 09:15 PM
Yeah laptop. Probably would take it in for repair. But the bottom of the Laptop comes right off so getting into the case doesn't seem that hard. I didn't use it as safely as I should, it spent to much time on soft surfaces. I don't know what fan it is but it was making a buzzing sound for weeks before. I realized it was completely out when a message come up on the screen saying the fan was out. It would run for a few seconds then stop for a few seconds. I probably will take it to a computer repair shop or maybe try to replace it myself. I just wanted to check the reasonability.

AgentofOdd
2014-05-16, 10:39 PM
Yep, sounds like the fan blades were rubbing against their casing and died. Seems to happen to every laptop I know of. If you can access the fan & heatsink from the panel, replacing the broken fan won't be difficult, and there are plenty of guides online (here's one (https://www.ehow.com/how_4530330_replace-laptop-fan.html)) perhaps even one for your model. In terms of cost, a new fan will be around $20-$40, you might need thermal compound which will be another $10, and if necessary the screwdriver will be another $10.

Btw, what laptop are you using? Really curious to know what machine actually allows easy access to the fan.

EDIT: Almost forgot, if you're going to do this, you might as well also clean the heatsink.

Grytorm
2014-05-16, 11:57 PM
It is an HP I think. It looks a bit thicker than other laptops I have seen. The whole bottom is one panel I can take off if I open two stiches. Its kind of neat. I took a look once and pulled out a feather. I don't know how easy it is to access the fan. But the fan is easy to find and the bottom comes right off. Something might block the fan in.

Max™
2014-05-17, 01:52 AM
Just to add, I'm assuming it is out of warranty by now, and thus any repair costs would be out of pocket. Spending more than $100 is unreasonable as you could find a good condition system on ebay or craigslist or whatnot for that, and for $200 you can just get something like a C720 chromebook (which incidentally doesn't use the fan much due to low heat generation) though honestly unless you have something like a new macbook it isn't really that hard to get into a laptop.

Make sure you ground any static you might have built up, open and close it in a clean room with noone smoking or an old fan blowing or whatnot, keep a tray with the screws/parts, and just make sure you check a few sources online to be sure the parts match up.

If you give the model number then I'm sure someone will be able to link you to the right info, I can as well assuming I'm not beaten to it.

I also recommend checking for a youtube tutorial, as the picture/text ones are useful, it can help a lot being able to watch someone going through the steps if you aren't yet confident about doing it yourself.

Generally it isn't much harder than putting together a lego set, just gotta get the right parts in and out in the right order and close it all back up.

Heat sink and fan assemblies generally come off in one piece or require the other removed first, make sure if you're getting the parts online to also get a tube of the compound to reapply it on the sink, it helps A LOT having that done.

Jimorian
2014-05-17, 06:45 PM
Not helpful, except maybe to relieve any stress over the situation, but I'm always looking for an excuse to post this video. :smalltongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpCJzdWxEbQ

Seriously, though, I think it's almost always worth at least looking at whether you can figure it out yourself. You may need to take it in after all, but if you can fix it, you'll feel very accomplished afterward. :smallsmile:

Grytorm
2014-05-18, 03:05 PM
Yep, sounds like the fan blades were rubbing against their casing and died. Seems to happen to every laptop I know of. If you can access the fan & heatsink from the panel, replacing the broken fan won't be difficult, and there are plenty of guides online (here's one (https://www.ehow.com/how_4530330_replace-laptop-fan.html)) perhaps even one for your model. In terms of cost, a new fan will be around $20-$40, you might need thermal compound which will be another $10, and if necessary the screwdriver will be another $10.

Btw, what laptop are you using? Really curious to know what machine actually allows easy access to the fan.

EDIT: Almost forgot, if you're going to do this, you might as well also clean the heatsink.

I got around to looking at the computer and looking at a disasembly tutorial. The computer is an EliteBook 8460P. The first thing he does after taking the battery out and the bottom panel off is remove the fan. I find it kind of funny that I lucked into such a simple system.

Also another problem I have is for some reason inside the case there was a completely loose screw that had been there for a while. I took it out and saved it.

Max™
2014-05-18, 08:27 PM
Was it the same type/size screw as the ones you can see inside?

I'd make sure there wasn't an open slot on the fan housing somewhere, as that could explain what went wrong, when they start to wobble or get off center they can start to buzz or wear unusually fast. I had my case a bit tilted to one side due to how I have my improvised desk setup and one of the case fans was getting more back and forth play on the bearings than usual so it would buzz randomly, cleaning it didn't help but I noticed when I put the flashlight on top of the case it rolled a little to one side so I just shimmed the base a bit more to even it out and it stopped entirely.