PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder First time pathfinder adventure!

GreyBlack
2014-05-16, 07:59 PM
So I've made the switch recently to Pathfinder after much debate with my local gaming group. In doing so, they sort of put me on to run the first campaign in the new system. As such, I'm curious as to what you feel the best creatures to send against your group would be.

THE SET UP:
The PCs recently escaped from jail by disguising themselves/taking down guards/guard dogs and slipping out in the middle of a riot in the streets. They've heard through a contact one of the PCs had made prior to getting thrown in jail that the town is rioting due to an unpopular leader's policies of habitually mind-wiping people.

I have a few ideas about where to go with this, but, as I'm not 100% familiar with the pathfinder system, I want to know what sorts of beasties I can throw against the PCs at this point. Obviously they'll be facing the run of the mill guards, but I'm trying to think what they can fight. Any suggestions for good creatures I can run against them to let them learn Pathfinder but also feel badass?

JusticeZero
2014-05-16, 08:18 PM
Don't use orcs, no matter how iconic they are. Lots of people use things like rats or kobolds or goblins for this. Last time I ran something, I used a bunch of Vegepygmies (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/plants/vegepygmy), which also led to the first adventure seed because those things have to steal people and livestock and whatnot to make more, and so the source of the things needs to be rooted out. It also means that they have an easy excuse to be raiding villagers and whatnot.
Specific to note are that they don't do very much damage per attack. This is huge, because low level characters HP pools are too small to survive swingy high damage attacks reliably. If they do get to concentrate attacks on someone, they will go down in a hail of nicks and cuts instead of one colossal swing. Plus, they'll be laying on the floor for the party to retrieve and pour healing potions into; the pygmies would only cart the bodies away if the party abandons them, and they want to take incapacitated prisoners, not corpses.
Also, those longspears they default with set up lots of tactical opportunities. They have to think a little bit more than just crash and swing.
They might be hiding in the sewers and snatching hobos or something, and well, the sewers is a kind've popular place to hide.