PDA

View Full Version : One Last Book...

Afgncaap5
2014-05-16, 09:02 PM
My DM in a biweekly game has just announced that, now that we're level 5, we can submit an update to our character backstories. If we can justify (and he stressed "really justify") it in writing through this backstory update, he will allow us to pick another book that our characters can have access to.

The game is a mostly core-only campaign, though after reading my first backstory he told me that my character (a dwarf paladin) could have access to Races Of Stone.

I'm trying to decide what books would be good, either for general rules things, or specifically for dwarf/paladin combos. If it helps, my character's in an Arthurian/high-chivalry society of dwarves, and there are elements of werewolf combat in his backstory. (The fellow knight he's trying to court has learned that her family has a lycanthropic curse on it, basically.)

Thanks!

Yorrin
2014-05-16, 10:09 PM
As much as I heartily approve of your backstory and race/class choice, it doesn't tell us a whole lot about the direction you're taking with the character mechanically. Depending on what direction you want to take it I can recommend looking at anything from Complete Champion to Complete Scoundrel to Tome of Battle to Fiendish Codex 2.

Afgncaap5
2014-05-16, 11:51 PM
Well, I'd been building toward using some of the heavy armor options presented in Races of Stone. So far the character's been playing a tank effectively, by making sure that enemies deviate from their intended targets to me. I doubt that I'll be getting much use out of my celestial steed, but stranger things have happened.

If there were good, non-ranger options for focusing on certain kinds of enemies (the werewolf-hunting aspect, for instance) I'd be going toward those. For now, though, I'm balancing between complete warrior/champion-style options. (Which kills me, since I love Complete Scoundrel.)

Falcon X
2014-05-17, 01:02 AM
Doubt your DM would like these choices but:

Book of Exalted Deeds: Exalted spells are automatically put onto your Paladin spell list if you have access to this book. Hey, free spells! Plus some great feats like the Vows, and some good Prestige Classes for Paladins.

Tome of Battle: Because Crusader is the Paladin done awesome! Plus it's the best tank in the game. It can work as a prestige class too because your maneuver levels are based on character level, not class level. Then there is deepstone sentinel...

Complete Divine and Complete Warrior - Because they just have a lot of stuff for you.

As for hunting aspects, it really depends on what you're hunting. Occult Slayer (CW) is a great Anti-mage. Undead slaying is found in Libris Mortis.

Might check out Champions of Valor too... I think it can give you Paladin Inspire Courage like a bard.

HammeredWharf
2014-05-17, 01:13 AM
Complete Champion: The X Devotion feats are nice for a Paladin and Awesome Smite is rather good.

Spell Compendium: Gives you a decent selection of spells.

Tome of Battle: A dip into a ToB class is useful for almost any melee character. Paladins also get Ruby Knight Vindicator, a great PRC.

Khedrac
2014-05-17, 02:21 AM
PHBII is often a solid choice for an extra book. I'm not so sure for a paladin though, but you might want to check it out.