PDA

View Full Version : What can an Unseen Servant do?

Arbane
2014-05-17, 04:48 AM
By the rules:

An unseen servant is an invisible, mindless, shapeless force that performs simple tasks at your command. It can run and fetch things, open unstuck doors, and hold chairs, as well as clean and mend. The servant can perform only one activity at a time, but it repeats the same activity over and over again if told to do so as long as you remain within range. It can open only normal doors, drawers, lids, and the like. It has an effective Strength score of 2 (so it can lift 20 pounds or drag 100 pounds). It can trigger traps and such, but it can exert only 20 pounds of force, which is not enough to activate certain pressure plates and other devices. It can’t perform any task that requires a skill check with a DC higher than 10 or that requires a check using a skill that can’t be used untrained. Its speed is 15 feet.

Can it untie you if you're tied up, and had the spell cast before you were KO'ed?

Can it sort a pile of salt mixed with sand into two piles?

Can it move hot lava without being hurt? (it says it takes damage from area attacks, so maybe not.)

Can it 'fetch' an item someone else is carrying? It's not an 'attack', after all....

What other really odd uses can you think of?

Bullet06320
2014-05-17, 05:10 AM
an Unseen servant can carry 20 pounds, I had a Dm let me give my unseen servant a sythe, which is 20 pounds, and use it to clear a trail in a strait path, sort of, I instructed the US to go that way while swiping the sythe back and forth. it worked for most of the brush but he got caught up on trees and I had to direct him around

same character used an US to carry his lunch tray and feed him while he sat back with his mouth open and just chewed

Bakeru
2014-05-17, 05:38 AM
- Can it untie you if you're tied up, and had the spell cast before you were KO'ed?
If it's a knot that can be opened with an SG of 10 or less, sure. Otherwise, no.

- Can it sort a pile of salt mixed with sand into two piles?
...I'd say no. It can't do anything that couldn't be done with hands.

- Can it move hot lava without being hurt? (it says it takes damage from area attacks, so maybe not.)
Nope, area "attacks"/environmental effects still affect it.

- Can it 'fetch' an item someone else is carrying? It's not an 'attack', after all....
There's a different spell for that, in the Spell Compendium. I forgot what it was called. The US can't do it - it would require Sleight of Hand, which can't be used untrained.

Bullet06320
2014-05-17, 06:12 AM
- Can it 'fetch' an item someone else is carrying? It's not an 'attack', after all....
There's a different spell for that, in the Spell Compendium. I forgot what it was called. The US can't do it - it would require Sleight of Hand, which can't be used untrained.

Unseen Trickster its 3rd party, cant find the source immediately, its 2nd level and has ranks in sleight of hand

TuggyNE
2014-05-17, 06:43 AM
Can it move hot lava without being hurt? (it says it takes damage from area attacks, so maybe not.)

I think so, because environmental effects are nowhere defined as attacks that I know of. (With the possible exception of falling objects.)

Darrin
2014-05-17, 08:13 AM
Can it untie you if you're tied up, and had the spell cast before you were KO'ed?

Yes, unless untying the knot involves a Use Rope DC higher than 10. An US could probably cut the ropes with a simple tool, but some DMs might consider that an attack against an object and not allow it. If it's not happening during combat, then it should autosucceed.

Yes. This is exactly the tedious, monotonous task that the spell was designed for. However, it's not clear how long this task would take, so the DM would have to decide how long it takes, and could rule the spell expires before the sorting is done.

If the lava was created as part of a spell effect that does damage over an area, well, you have your answer right there. If the lava occurs naturally and does damage when a creature is near it, then that's more of a DM's Call if that counts as an "area attack". Close enough in my book.

Can it 'fetch' an item someone else is carrying? It's not an 'attack', after all....

If the person carrying the item is an ally or cooperating, then yes. I'd call that picking up or manipulating an object, which is a move action. If the person is an opponent or resisting, then that would either involve a touch attack or a Sleight of Hand DC 20 check, neither of which the US can do.

I've already put some thought into this, actually. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8)

Bakeru
2014-05-17, 09:06 AM
Unseen Trickster its 3rd party, cant find the source immediately, its 2nd level and has ranks in sleight of handI meant "Phantasmal Thief", which, as I just found out, isn't from the Spell Compendium, but the Draconomicon. And 8th level.

I've already put some thought into this, actually. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8)Side note:
You're completely wrong about the Gloves of Object Reading. They have a clear, complete list of what you can find out with them, as well as several cop-out clauses for GMs. None of the stuff you describe actually works with them.
Also, painting doors/holes with Marvelous Pigments is questionable, they are only described as creating stuff, not as altering what you're painting on. You might have a door, but the wall behind it would still be intact.

ericgrau
2014-05-17, 09:17 AM
By the rules:

1. Tough call since tying a knot is DC 10 and untying one might be harder. Especially with such low strength. I'm going to say no. He could untie your tangled shoelaces if the knots aren't too tight but not a firm rope knot intentionally made as tight as possible.

2. Yes since this is a super low skill task. But like an ordinary person he'd take hours if not days to do it.

3. Ya I'd say that's an area attack that deals damage even for being near it. By RAW he might be able to carry a small ball of lava but even then by RAI I'd say no. Even by RAW you might call that an area attack with a really small area. IMO it could walk across spikes unharmed though.

4. Taking an attended object is a disarm attack. He can't even attempt it. He could take an unsecured object from a sleeping person. Pick pocketing is DC 20 so that doesn't work either without unseen trickster.

5. Anything random an NPC needs. I had one counting money for an innkeeper once. He can't talk but he could sort into piles of 10 or 100. Also check out related spells like wood wose, unseen crafter and servant horde which can do more things.

Darrin
2014-05-17, 09:35 AM
Side note:
You're completely wrong about the Gloves of Object Reading. They have a clear, complete list of what you can find out with them, as well as several cop-out clauses for GMs. None of the stuff you describe actually works with them.

You are correct. I think I over-reached on the Gloves.

Also, painting doors/holes with Marvelous Pigments is questionable, they are only described as creating stuff, not as altering what you're painting on. You might have a door, but the wall behind it would still be intact.

I think I'm on much firmer ground there. The pit example in the DMG and the write-up in Dungeonscape I think settles the "altering what you're painting on" as far as RAW goes, but there's still a lot of leeway open to interpretation. In any case, I think it's safe to say that the intent was for it to affect the environment in exactly the way Wiley E. Coyote intended.

ericgrau
2014-05-17, 09:45 AM
I think I'm on much firmer ground there. The pit example in the DMG and the write-up in Dungeonscape I think settles the "altering what you're painting on" as far as RAW goes, but there's still a lot of leeway open to interpretation. In any case, I think it's safe to say that the intent was for it to affect the environment in exactly the way Wiley E. Coyote intended.

There's a web article where it's used to paint doors and break in to places too. After only reading the SRD entry I was surprised as well, but all the examples beyond the SRD seem to suggest that is in fact the intent. Plus there are items like the robe of useful items that can pull off similar tricks.

Man, I miss 2e style abuse. So much more interesting than 3e's "It's over 9000!!" abuse. The reason create water has a clause that says you can't create water inside a person to kill him is because 2e people tried to claim you could so much. The actual abuse might not have been a good thing, but the Wile E Coyote tactics were. Btw.... bags of holding are useful for so much more than carrying your gear...

I've heard of a lot of DMs letting players get away with a great deal with prestidigitation and unseen servant. It might be beyond the spell's power, but for rule of cool it may not be a bad thing. And for all we know many of these things might not actually be beyond the spell's power. Liberal interpretations could be good as long as you don't go too overboard.

Bakeru
2014-05-17, 10:36 AM
Huh. I still can't find them in the DMG, but true, Dungeonscape describes painting a peephole or a crack on a door, which is pretty much what you describe.

Also, your list of Unseen Servant stuff is great - they're basically an additional mundane full-round action. If you need to set something up, and it only takes time, no skill checks, they can do it for you while you hit things.

Bullet06320
2014-05-17, 09:13 PM
I meant "Phantasmal Thief", which, as I just found out, isn't from the Spell Compendium, but the Draconomicon. And 8th level.

that one is 8th level, in the Draconomicon and BoVD, but 5th in the Spell Compendium

the one I was thinking of is Unseen trickster from Quintessential Wizard by mongoose publishing

Unseen Trickster
Conjuration (Creation)
Level Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components V, S, M
Casting Time 1 action
range Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Effect One invisible, mindless, shapeless body of force
duration 1 minute/level
Saving Throw None
Spell Resistance No
This improved form of unseen servant is capable of
taking on a much wider range of actions than its simpler,
lower level brother. The unseen trickster can fulfil all the roles and abilities listed for an unseen servant. In
addition, it can take a limited number of actions to
disrupt or annoy the caster’s enemies. The trickster
may not attack, but it may use the aid another combat
action. It attacks using its caster’s base attack bonus.
The trickster tugs at its target’s belt straps, pokes him in
the eye, and otherwise makes a nuisance of itself. The
trickster also has the limited ability to filch items from
the unwary. The trickster has 4 ranks in the Pick Pocket
skill and has a Dexterity score of 10. Items it steals
seem to hover in mid-air as the trickster carries them and
it has an effective Strength score of 2. Thus, it can lift
20 pounds or drag 100 pounds.
Apart from the exceptions listed above, the unseen
trickster acts as an unseen servant. It cannot be killed,
but is destroyed if it takes 6 points of damage from
an area attack. Against such assaults, it automatically
fails its saving throw. If you order the trickster to move
beyond the range of this spell, it immediately dissipates.
Material Components: A short length of string tied into
a loose knot.

while technically 3.0 its just a matter of converting from pickpocket skill to sleight of hand

Arbane
2014-05-18, 01:53 AM
I think it's safe to say that the intent was for it to affect the environment in exactly the way Wiley E. Coyote intended.

And how well does that stuff ever work out for him? :smallbiggrin:

Another idea for the "possibly abusive uses" list: Alphabetizing books on a shelf. Can an Unseen Servant read? Someone mentioned stacking coins - can it count?

ericgrau
2014-05-18, 11:38 AM
I would put counting below a DC 10. It seems simple enough. Literacy is a good point. That's something we take for granted. If this was D20 modern I'd say sure no problem. In a fantasy world I dunno.

Segev
2014-05-19, 05:36 PM
I would put counting below a DC 10. It seems simple enough. Literacy is a good point. That's something we take for granted. If this was D20 modern I'd say sure no problem. In a fantasy world I dunno.

Given that, mechanically, it requires a class "feature" to be illiterate, Unseen Servants can be considered "literate." This leads to fun with Explosive Runes.

Unseen Servants can do anything a human commoner can that does not require being trained in a skill or a skill roll against a DC higher than 10. I believe the only thing a commoner could that they explicitly cannot is speak or otherwise make noise without employing tools of some sort. Oh, and they can't fight. At all.

But if you want them to fetch your thrown javelins, so long as they're within range of you, it is a free action to hand items to other people.

Arbane
2014-05-20, 01:16 AM
Given that, mechanically, it requires a class "feature" to be illiterate, Unseen Servants can be considered "literate." This leads to fun with Explosive Runes.

One Pathfinder game I was in had a dragon who knew Explosive Runes, and had put them ALL OVER its lair and hoard. When we sneaked into its lair while it was out, I'd considered sending an Invisible Servant in to haul out the loot, on the ground that it probably couldn't read, but we had to flee before it got to that point.

Oh, another one: If an Invisible Servant can tell salt from sand, could it tell real gems from fakes? (Probably not, that would take an Appraise check.)

ChocoSuisse
2014-05-20, 05:26 AM
They are mindless. To me, they're no more literate than an average dog, which doesn't have any "class feature".

Segev
2014-05-20, 08:16 AM
They are mindless. To me, they're no more literate than an average dog, which doesn't have any "class feature".

The average dog cannot understand language; it requires a Handle Animal check to get it to learn and perform "tricks."

An Unseen Servant understands whatever language its creator addresses it with, and can carry out complex (if not difficult-to-execute) instructions.

"Grab the painting of the man with the beard" and "fetch me volume seven of the Encyclopedia Arcanica" are both valid instructions. The former may not require reading, but the latter would in order to identify the tome in question.

ChocoSuisse
2014-05-20, 09:31 AM
I'd say the unseen servant is not really a creature, it doesn't even have stats.

it's more like the effect of a lesser telekinesis spell you don't have to concentrate on.
it doesn't "understand" your language, it's more like your command is a verbal component used to control the effect.

Using your example "fetch me volume seven of the Encyclopedia Arcanica", I'd say it would work even if the cover of this book is blank, as long as you know what it looks like.

Segev
2014-05-20, 12:33 PM
It does have stats, just not "complete" ones. It has hit points (in that it can be disrupted if it takes more than a certain amount), it has immunities (only AoE damage can affect it), it has specific rules for how successful it is on skill checks (auto-succeeds on anything one can do untrained with a DC 10 or less; auto-fails anything else).

It obeys commands. It takes actions on its own, not consuming its master's.

It certainly acts more like a creature in the rules than it does a "telekinetic effect."

Dalebert
2014-05-20, 01:30 PM
Using your example "fetch me volume seven of the Encyclopedia Arcanica", I'd say it would work even if the cover of this book is blank, as long as you know what it looks like.

That's your prerogative as a DM but by RAW, it can read and understand Common because the average person can do so without a skill check.

I asked my DM if I could issue commands to my US via Dark Elf Silent. I needed it to provide a distraction as we were about to be noticed by a guard. By RAW, I should be able to. It doesn't say what language commands have to be issued in. That doesn't mean it understands all languages in general, of course, but it should understand any command by its maker. My DM made a house rule that US follows mental commands which made it SO much more powerful; too powerful IMHO.

BTW, it doesn't take a move action to command one. You're not directing a spell per se. You just have to speak to command it which doesn't necessarily take particular concentration. People can say simple things in combat within reason. If it did, then it wouldn't be useful for reloading light crossbows (a move action).

Consider getting a metamagic rod to double range on these. With the long duration, that's a lot of bang for the buck--makes it that much more handy.

I think some more interesting questions are things like...
Can it cling to you? Can it ride with you on a horse? Can it be placed inside a box? What size box?

Why do I care? It's a spell that lasts all day at higher levels. What if you're travelling at high speeds? Flying?

If you attempt to send it beyond the spell’s range (measured from your current position), the servant ceases to exist.

Presumably it winks out if you move faster than it can, say galloping on a horse or riding a flying carpet, unless it can ride with you. Depending on how much of a douche your DM is, he might have it wink out because you forgot about it and didn't command it to hop onto your horse or to cling to your clothing and get inside your spell pouch. It's invisible and generally silent, after all.