PDA

View Full Version : DM Help DMG 2: Magic places as treasure - at what point do you tell the details?

Kafana
2014-05-17, 07:20 AM
So, the magic locations that give certain power tell of rituals that need to be done, as well as the powers they grant, but for the most part the lore checks say very little. If a character aces a lore check (knowledge arcana for example) I guess I can tell him everything there is to know about the location (the story and the mechanics), but what if he falls somewhere in between. For example, if the check told him that anyone who spent a week near the altar would get an ability (and the mechanics behind that need to be 20 ft), what happens if the character decides to be within 20 meters of the altar during the period of the week?

I guess I could simply houserule that that's ok, simply to avoid the party wasting a week, but there is a bigger issue here - how to deal with descriptions of mechanics. When characters identify a magic item do you roleplay the wizard whose services they hired describe the mechanical effect without using the actual numbers, or do you simply tell them "it's a +1 longsword with 1d6 fire damage"?

HammeredWharf
2014-05-17, 07:41 AM
I'd say the description of the Altar of Dreamwalker is false. The DC 20 info says you must rest within its glade, but mechanics don't support that. Since Knowledge checks don't produce wrong info by RAW, I'd say you must spend a night in a certain location within the altar's glade if the players got 20-24 from their knowledge check. If they got 30+, I'd reveal the exact location and the ability the altar gives.

I guess I could simply houserule that that's ok, simply to avoid the party wasting a week, but there is a bigger issue here - how to deal with descriptions of mechanics. When characters identify a magic item do you roleplay the wizard whose services they hired describe the mechanical effect without using the actual numbers, or do you simply tell them "it's a +1 longsword with 1d6 fire damage"?

In most cases, I think trying to describe it is more awkward than exciting or lore-friendly. Players usually want to write something down on their character sheet. Saying what the item is will get you there faster. There are, of course, special cases, such as cursed items that may not tell you what they do or tales the party may hear. So, if an NPC bard tells the party about a mighty enchanted blade, he probably won't call it a +1 Fiery Longsword.