PDA

View Full Version : The Iron Kingdoms: Full-Metal Fantasy

Kevka Palazzo
2007-02-14, 01:31 PM
Recently a friend got me into steampunk, and I had the wonderful fortune to discover the Iron Kingdoms "campaign setting".

However, there is a surprisingly small amount of data concerning the actual books on the various sites that I've been to, so I'd like to know what the Character Guide contains, specifically:

1) Monsters unique to the IK setting.
2) Rules on how to make a steamjack.
3) Rules on how to play a steamjack.

Anybody who's had some experience with this setting and wants to spread the steampunk gritty love and industrial goodness, share your knowledge please!

Kevka Palazzo
2007-02-14, 01:55 PM
I know it's only been up here a few minutes, but given the number of views (1, mine) and the number of replies in other threads, I'm going to go ahead and bump this thread once. Otherwise it will die and vanish into obscurity and oblivion.

Yes that's right, obscurity and oblivion.

CriticalFumble
2007-02-14, 03:02 PM
However, there is a surprisingly small amount of data concerning the actual books on the various sites that I've been to, so I'd like to know what the Character Guide contains, specifically:

I haven't played any IK, but I'm a Warmachine fan, so I have a little info that may help.
1) Monsters - You'll want the IK Monsternomicon 3.5 for this. The Character guide only has a smattering of info aside from playable races.

2) Building a 'jack - I think this is covered in the Character Guide, but they've also released the Liber Mechanika, which has much more in-depth info (how much of it applies to building steamjacks specifically, I don't know).

3) Playing a 'jack - As far as I know this is impossible. Jacks are basically coal-powered constructs with an intelligence score, but are basically useless without some kind of operator. Your best options along this route are to either acquire a jack for your character, or find out about the Cyriss-worshippers who can eventually house their minds in advanced mechanika.

You can get a lot more info at the IK boards over on the PP site: http://www.privateerpress.com

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-02-14, 04:22 PM
Building and playing with jacks are covered in Liber Mechanika, as well as creating your own mechanika items (give any bonus or upgrade, very detailed system) and new spells and items.

Mechanika is COMPLICATED!

How to get a +1 Frost Greatsword: Buy a +1 Masterwork Greatsword. Attach a rune plate of Frost. Attach a +1 equivalent conduit to the rune plate, feed it into an accumulator (pick one of 6 sizes), choose the power feed type...

Really good if you want to spend the time on it.

Oh, and it lets you design your own steamjacks, but bear in mind that a 100hp DR10 monster isn't cheap, jacks go from 10,000gp to 80,000gp, and require 100 pounds of coal and 100 gallons of water every six hours.

Also, depending on the quality of cortex you buy, they can either follow only very specific commands or can have an intelligence (effective, they are still near-mindless) of 10. They do what you tell them, and do it well, but the level of cortex determines how autonomous they are. The cortex is actually around 4/5 of the entire cost of the jack, depending on the size and type. So if one blows up, if you are lucky enough to salvage the cortex then a new body costs relatively very little- between 2,000gp and 10,000gp.

Definitely buy it. It is worth your money.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-02-14, 04:30 PM
Is Liber Mechanika the only book that details jackmaking? I'm sure it's significantly thorough, but is it the only book that covers it sufficiently?

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-02-14, 06:38 PM
Without a doubt. The IK Core book barely mentions them.

Rarkasha
2007-02-14, 07:37 PM
Right. The way the IK core book covers building jacks, it just gives basics such as costs and time, and doesn't really go into depth about how to equip it (other than giving it huge sized weapons). Nor does it cover special kinds of jacks, (I believe there is one that can immerse itself in water without putting out it's own fire).

It should be sufficient for making and controlling regular and some war-jacks, though.

Leon
2007-02-15, 05:50 AM
Nor does it cover special kinds of jacks, (I believe there is one that can immerse itself in water without putting out it's own fire).

Thats Cryx Necrotech territory, Lord Toruk and his minions dont get much look see in IK aside from being nasty foes

Although you can do the Eliectic powered types - there are Jack Sized Stormsphere's

Recently a friend got me into steampunk, and I had the wonderful fortune to discover the Iron Kingdoms "campaign setting".

Anybody who's had some experience with this setting and wants to spread the steampunk gritty love and industrial goodness, share your knowledge please!

Monsternomicom 1 is avalible now and No 2 is comming soon, there is a PDF avalible on the website that shows what standard monsteres from the MM are usable as well

The IKCG has a bit of background for the countries and how they tick, info on the Races and Classes (particulay how they are different from normal), Weapons and Armour, Section on the various religion and the isseus that go along with that, section for Alchemicals, Magic section and the "lite" Mekanicka section

Liber Mechanicka is Chock full of anything that you would want for Making Jack, Steam armour and anything else - Ignore the Arcane Mek in the IKCG, the one in Liber Mech is a revised and better version

As to playing a Steam jack, no - but you can play the Jack Marshal (or Warcaster) who controls the jack

Attilargh
2007-02-15, 06:14 AM
As to playing a Steam jack, no - but you can play the Jack Marshal (or Warcaster) who controls the jack
Just to clarify, the two are not the same thing. 'Jack marshals are the guys who control the 'jacks with verbal commands, hand signs and whatnot. Warcasters are the blokes who have a magical connection to their 'jacks and wade into the battle wearing a steam-powered armour with an inbuilt power field generator to fling a nasty spell or two up the opponent's digestive system before chopping them down with a big mechanikal weapon.

Leon
2007-02-16, 06:48 AM
Thinking smaller than Jack's you could also make Servitors (there is a PrC that deals with them) that are alot cheaper to run - if not as potent in combat. you could potentially run one off a Stormchamber - endless power

Dant
2007-02-16, 06:27 PM
Heck, I'd recommend getting the IKCG just for the equipment section, steampunk or not. Still, if you want specifics, Liber Mechanika and the first book of the character guide are the ones you want.

Lord Xaedien
2007-02-17, 02:42 AM
Making jacks is handled in the Liber Mechanika, but you cannot really run the 'jacks without the character guide, as it has all the information on ordering the jacks around, as well as the warcaster prestige class, which is really what makes jacks work, as well as several other classes and feats towards jacks.

While we are on the subject, let me just say this: Iron Kingdoms is the best campaign setting I have ever played. I heartily endorse buying all the privateer press books, and I actually have a hard time playing anything else... although I do occassionally miss psionics enough to run a traditional forgotten realms campaign.