PDA

View Full Version : Hellfire Warlock Monk Viability?

Augment Tab
2014-05-17, 06:44 PM
I've had the idea of a monk/warlock/hellfire warlock banging around in my head for a while, but can it be made to work? I'm sure someone else has tried it already, I just haven't seen anything about it.

Basically, it'd use the Beast Strike feat and Eldritch Claws combined with Hellfire Blast.

Would the Con damage from Hellfire Blast take effect on each unarmed strike, or just when Eldritch Claws is activated?

Are there any other ways to reduce the Con hits other than the Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest) feat or a dip in binder for Naberius?

nedz
2014-05-17, 07:35 PM
Alignment restrictions mean that you have to be LE.

I did once create some HalfDragon Kobold Monk/Warlock/Enlightened Fist Mooks which seemed to work though the Sorcerer versions were better. I wasn't using the EF class features relating to Fists, but they could have been.

Val666
2014-05-17, 07:47 PM
I made a build with unarmed clawlock:

Barbarian 1/Storm Giant Bloodline 3/Warlock 1/Swordsage 1/Warlock 5/Frostrager 5/Binder 1/Hellfire Warlock 3/Uncanny Trickster 3

feat progression:

Feats
1:Improved Unarmed Strike, Two Weapon Fighting(Unarmed Only), Sacred Vow,Vow of Poverty,Great Fortitude, Frozen Berserker, Nymph's Kiss(because skills are nice)
2: Power Attack, Touch of Golden Ice
3: Adaptive Style
4: Sanctify Natural Attack
6: Eldritch Claws, ?
8: ?
9: Beast Strike
10: Nimbus of Light
12: Superior Unarmed Strike, Stigmata
15: Desert Fire
16: ?
18: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting(unless DM rules otherwise on the barbarian ACF then Imp Nat Att), ?
20: ?

There are still some missing spots Dx you can fill them as you glad. Study the build! It does like an extra bunch of eldtrich damage per unarmed attack

It is using the City Brawler barbarian variant from dagron mag, It replaces weapon martial proficiency and...armor thinh think for improved unarmed strike and twf (unarmed only)

Necroticplague
2014-05-17, 07:57 PM
Hellfire warlock doesn't have an effect on eldritch claw damage. The eldritch claws aren't eldritch blast, they're just claws that happen to add the damage of such to them. So you can't use hellfire blast on them. Conversely, claws state they do the damage of your eldritch blast, not your hellfire blast, so it doesn't work in both directions.

Assuming you start at a relatively high level, you can get it to work. Require quite a few feats, and you'd have to do something about the insane MAD from it. Even if you could do good damage (I'd recommend picking up rapidstrike and multi attack lines), your part-caster chassis would make you a veritable paper bag (not counting monk isn't too tough on its own).

Chaosvii7
2014-05-17, 08:02 PM
Personally I'd use Battle Dancer from Dragon Compendium. It's got unarmed strike progression and the unarmored bonus to AC, but it's charisma-based. You could even dip Paladin of Slaughter to get bonus BAB and Charisma to saves on top of everything. Your CHA would give you so much you'd be like the ultimate force of personality. You'd have to be the most Chaotic Evil sonnuva, but it's a small price to pay for being so charismatic.

I think that should still let you get into Enlightened Fist, unless there's specificity regarding Alignment. I don't know how well it'll mesh into clawlock builds, but you should be able to get some mileage out of it with high CHA.

Augment Tab
2014-05-17, 08:39 PM
Hellfire warlock doesn't have an effect on eldritch claw damage. The eldritch claws aren't eldritch blast, they're just claws that happen to add the damage of such to them. So you can't use hellfire blast on them. Conversely, claws state they do the damage of your eldritch blast, not your hellfire blast, so it doesn't work in both directions.

If that's the case, then I'll just bail on the idea. I know how to build clawlocks, I just wanted to see if it would be possible to build them using hellfire warlock to get the character concept I had. It's looking like it's not possible.

Thanks, everyone.