PDA

View Full Version : Need a Flaw to Take

Grayson01
2014-05-17, 08:07 PM
Okay this is for a Dread Necromancer I have been building. I finally found a Feat that will give me UMD as a class skill and it acctually fits the Concept of the Character. Aereni Focus
pick one skill it becomes a class skill and you get a +3 bonus. My Character is a Star Elf and concept wise I was going much towards the Eberron Elven Undead Veneration type. So I originally planned to not take any Flaws but now I want this feat sooooo Long STory short need to pick one. I would take Pathetic but my ablility modifiers are too high rolled great stats. SO I am debating between Murkey Eyed and Inattentive. Any ideas Which one to take?

Gildedragon
2014-05-17, 08:36 PM
Haunted, from Dr327, you have ghostly sounds surround you enacting a penalty to listen and move silently
or Phantom Sparks, flashes of light bloom spontaneously all around you giving a similar penalty to spot and hide
Inatentive might be a good option as it can be overcome

Grayson01
2014-05-17, 10:13 PM
NO access to Dragon :-( that would be a good one thought.

Inevitability
2014-05-18, 12:40 AM
I'm playing in a campaign where everyone gets max hp at the moment, and Frail proves to be so much better there. Hell, about everyone took it.

Did you roll well for HP? Is your constitution high?

Alex12
2014-05-18, 03:07 AM
NO access to Dragon :-( that would be a good one thought.

Well, that renders the best flaw for Dread Necromancers unavailable. It's Slow Healing, from Dragon 328. Essentially neutralizes natural healing (which you don't care about since you can heal at-will through Tomb-Tainted or undead) and halves the caster level of all Conjuration(healing) spells cast on you (since they'll deal damage to your Tomb-Tainted or undead self, this is a good thing).

As it is, if you're going undead quickly, then the -3 to Fort saves one could be useful. Vulnerable could also be good, since a mere -1 to AC is pretty irrelevant in the long run.

sideswipe
2014-05-18, 06:01 AM
if you are a high op group then vunerable. as ac is pointless. if low op then murkey eyed.

The Grue
2014-05-18, 06:09 AM
Well there's Noncombatant. -1 to Melee attack rolls isn't that big a deal for casters.

sideswipe
2014-05-18, 06:16 AM
Well there's Noncombatant. -1 to Melee attack rolls isn't that big a deal for casters.

its -2 to melee rolls

TuggyNE
2014-05-18, 06:47 AM
its -2 to melee rolls

The point, I think, stands. :smallamused:

Alex12
2014-05-18, 07:25 AM
The point, I think, stands. :smallamused:

Well, for Dread Necromancers specifically, who (especially at the lower levels and at lower optimization levels) are decent melee types, a -2 to attack rolls actually can have a non-trivial impact.

Metahuman1
2014-05-18, 01:25 PM
None Combatant if your trying to do minimal Melee anyway. Otherwise, Vulnerable, and make sure to juice AC and HP and miss chance with spells and Items like you should be doing regardless to compensate.

Grayson01
2014-05-18, 03:47 PM
I'm playing in a campaign where everyone gets max hp at the moment, and Frail proves to be so much better there. Hell, about everyone took it.

Did you roll well for HP? Is your constitution high?

I ran a Max HP game it was quite fun.

We use the Average HP per level rules from the DMG. So for me it's 3+con at even levels 4+con at odd levels.

My con after Race ADJ is 15 so + 2 mod.
so 1) 8hp 2) 13hp 3)19hp 4) 24 hp 5) 30hp

So Frail makes me slightly nervous.

I don't wanna focus Mellee more of Debuffing however I would like it to be an options.

I have a 17 Dex so the -1 AC might not be a bad option, but is it better then a -4 to spot and listen when I get +2 from race and a wis of 14 so a +2 mod and I will get alertness at 7 when I get my IMP wand weilding Familiar?

Brookshw
2014-05-18, 04:25 PM
How are you going to rp the guy? Maybe there's something that meshes well with the concept.

Grayson01
2014-05-18, 06:09 PM
How are you going to rp the guy? Maybe there's something that meshes well with the concept.

Okay so he is going to be and Elf more on the line of Ebberon Arenial elves. LN, see's the world more through a lense of Law and Chaos. Good and evil to him his just a mistaken concept by others (to go with Negative and positive energy being evil/good in in of itself). Undead just like everything are just tools to be used, used in enforce order and law. Life is not something to take on a whim but is not a holy sacred needs to be protected above all other things. Random acts of Violence are without need in his views however coordinated strikes of violence that help to instill the rule of law are not without there use or merit. Not going for the creepy undead necromancer vibe, nore the absent mineded professor vibe. More of a Stoic calculating Philospher who worhsips his elven fallen ancestors but sees the bodies of the dead as nothing more matreials to use.