PDA

View Full Version : Enlarge Person and Wildshape

Suzaku
2007-02-14, 03:15 PM
When a druid wildshapes into an animal could somene else cast enlarge person onto the druid? I know animal growth technically doesn't work because you don't gain sub type of the animal and you keep your own.

Quietus
2007-02-14, 03:22 PM
I see no reason why not.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-14, 03:25 PM
That depends. Before, maybe. After, no, because it doesn't work on non-humanoids.

Wippit Guud
2007-02-14, 03:26 PM
What type is a wildshaped druid?

NullAshton
2007-02-14, 03:28 PM
They still would have the humanoid type, so yes it would work.

cupkeyk
2007-02-14, 03:30 PM
Alternate Form (Su): A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume one or more specific alternate forms. A true seeing (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsTtoZ.html#true-seeing) spell or ability reveals the creature’s natural form. A creature using alternate form reverts to its natural form when killed, but separated body parts retain their shape. A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template. Assuming an alternate form results in the following changes to the creature:
The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. It gains the size of its new form. If the new form has the aquatic subtype (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monsterTypes.html#aquatic), the creature gains that subtype as well.
From the SRD. So a wildshaped humanoid druid is still a humanoid and is still subject to enlarge person.

dcviana
2007-02-14, 03:34 PM
But they would get only the benefits of a larger humanoid, a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC. They would not gain the benefits of a larger animal (higher HD).

Quietus
2007-02-14, 03:41 PM
Agreed - they'd get the benefits in terms of ability scores, and penalties for increased size, but not extra hit points. Of course, they'd also have a bigger grapple and bull rush and such.

NullAshton
2007-02-14, 03:43 PM
...they never get extra hitpoints with wildshape anyway, so what does it matter?

Quietus
2007-02-14, 03:46 PM
Poison DC's, mostly. Though I'd base those off the druid's HD.

Suzaku
2007-02-14, 03:58 PM
I was mostly interested in reach and grapple modifiers.

Quietus
2007-02-14, 04:23 PM
That would definately be among the benefits you'd gain.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-14, 04:44 PM
Yep. You'd be an animal one size category larger than what you Wild Shape into.

Everyman
2007-02-14, 04:48 PM
I like this concept for its pure humor value:

"Oh look. Tis a gnome."
"Oh crap! It's a dire bear!"
"By the gods, it's a BIG, BIG dire bear!"
*Cries*
"I think I just earned some roleplaying EXP."
(Thank you, Thunt)

dcviana
2007-02-14, 05:04 PM
...they never get extra hitpoints with wildshape anyway, so what does it matter?

If your type changed to animal when wildshaping and enlarge person worked on non-homanoids, you would gain extra HD for a larger animal. That would be a real killer combo, maybe that's why it doesn't work.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-14, 05:06 PM
If your type changed to animal when wildshaping and enlarge person worked on non-homanoids, you would gain extra HD for a larger animal. That would be a real killer combo, maybe that's why it doesn't work.

Um, no it wouldn't. Animals with more HD are larger; magically enlarged animals don't gain HD.

The reason why druids now keep their type (the result of errata) is because things would be much worse if they kept the animal type--for example, Wild Shape would let Animal Growth, or, oh, Awaken work on them.