PDA

View Full Version : Questons about potions

Melcar
2014-05-18, 07:44 AM
Hey...

I was looking for information about potions. Specifically potions that prolong one's life/age. I remember something about there being potions of longevity and potions of youth in 2ed, but they were gone from the system in 3.0... So now the question is. In our game we have access to a high level Master Alchemist, who is quite capable and willing to help os.

So now to help our DM, I was looking for either recipe (ingame) and off game as well, prizing, level requirements and spells needed for potions of youth/longevity.

Seeing as this community is a cache of all knowledge of D&D 3.0/3.5 I found no better place to go.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks... Any comments will be helpful.

Segev
2014-05-18, 08:01 AM
The one big issue these can cause is that swallowing enough of them could, in 3e, justify +3 to all mental stats with no commensurate physical penalty. They either are pre-game mental stat boosters, or are likely not going to come up as relevant beyond flavor in actual game play.

Consider: How often does it matter that the elf and the dwarf in the party will outlive the human and the halfling by several centuries? It might be relevant, a little, that the elf has already seen more history than the human ever will, but it rarely actually impacts game-play. The fact that the elf has another 300 or more years of relative youth ahead of him is irrelevant outside of fluff, because the game isn't going to extend beyond the human's adventuring years (or even, likely, to the end of those).

So, I'd price it based on fluff and how hard and rare you want it to be, not on mechanics. Unless it's being used to "buy" +3 to all mental stats from old age while keeping the body of a younger man. In which case I'd compare it to the pricing on stat-up items, and divide the price amongst the number of potions needed to reduce the physical age to the point of non-penalty for the physical stats.

Urpriest
2014-05-18, 03:54 PM
There aren't a lot of ways to mess with longevity in 3.0/3.5. As mentioned, how would you balance it? That said, there are a few, and this guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996) should have them.

Melcar
2014-05-19, 01:53 PM
There aren't a lot of ways to mess with longevity in 3.0/3.5. As mentioned, how would you balance it? That said, there are a few, and this guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996) should have them.

Thanks for the answer. It did not talk about potion creation as such. Anyone know where I might find info on this. (I have never used brew potion

Thx

Urpriest
2014-05-19, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the answer. It did not talk about potion creation as such. Anyone know where I might find info on this. (I have never used brew potion

Thx

Potions and longevity have nothing to do with each other in 3.5. Potions contain spells of level 0-3. Anything that isn't a spell that used to be a Potion was changed to an Elixir, a type of Wondrous Item.

Edit: And no, I can't think of an Elixir of Longevity, and if there isn't one in that thread it probably doesn't exist.

John Longarrow
2014-05-19, 02:15 PM
Melcar,

The ulitmate potion of "Longevity" would be either a one shot Reincarnate or one shot true reincarnate.

NoACWarrior
2014-05-19, 06:58 PM
Isn't there a mid level spell or power that makes your body young again? Its not reincarnate, because it doesn't cause level loss...

Someone mentioned to put it on a contingent spell or something in another thread.

Segev
2014-05-20, 12:02 AM
True Mind Switch is not potion-able (it's 9th level), and costs 10,000 exp, and is undoubtedly evil if used with no regard for the rights of the person whose body you usurp, but it also definitely can be used for functional immortality.

Just keep swapping into younger bodies when your current one gets too old for your taste. Or too sick, or what-have-you.

Gildedragon
2014-05-20, 12:36 AM
There is one in PF, which might have been the one you heard of... not potionable either.

Regeneration (a mostly useless spell in 3.5) could extend lifespan. It repairs ruined organs for one, and I could see it being applied to repair cell damage.