PDA

View Full Version : RPG Please

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-14, 03:43 PM
I'm needing to get a new PC RPG. I have played all of the Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, and I like those. I kinda need something new though. Any thoughts? I can't do mmorpgs yet due to lack of hi-speed internet.

EDITed to reflect actual intent.

Shikton
2007-02-14, 06:06 PM
Console RPG? Suikoden 5!!! That's my answer to anything from now on if people want a new game. And if you don't have a PS2 to play it on, then buy a PS2. It's worth it.

Elliot Kane
2007-02-14, 06:08 PM
Are you sure you don't mean PC? If you haven't played Planescape: Torment you should. It's easily the best CRPG I've ever seen.

In terms of console games, Final Fantasy X is pretty good.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-14, 06:08 PM
Actually I meant not console rpg. I need a new PC RPG, since I don't own a console (at least not yet). Sorry for the confusion. Editing original post.

Tengu
2007-02-14, 06:15 PM
If you haven't played Planescape: Torment you should. It's easily the best CRPG I've ever seen.

Seconded. Also, try Fallout I and II.

Shikton
2007-02-14, 06:21 PM
Alright, fine... PC RPG... Just gotta go with the flow and recommend Planescape: Torment and the first two Fallout games. PS:T is the better one of them though. EDITING in Arcanum as well here. Good game that.

.....and I still think you all should play Suikoden 5.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-14, 06:29 PM
Can I get these at Best Buy or the like? Or do I need to find a Game eXchange or something?

Shikton
2007-02-14, 06:34 PM
No idea about that, buddy. You might find a box set with both Fallouts in it at a lot of sites. Torment, however, is more difficult to find in my experience.

Timberwolf
2007-02-14, 07:52 PM
Lionheart was pretty reasonable as well.

LoopyZebra
2007-02-14, 08:02 PM
Personally, I'm a fan of the Diablo series, but they're more fantasy-themed action than an RPG... Have you tried KotOR? Not fantasy-themed (Star Wars, actually), but RPG.

melchizedek
2007-02-14, 08:45 PM
Morrowind and Oblivion, Diablo 2, Dungeon Siege or Dungeon Siege 2, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 or 2

Cybren
2007-02-14, 08:46 PM
If you have a weak moral compass there's always emulators for older console games. That wouldn't be right though.

LoopyZebra
2007-02-14, 09:26 PM
Morrowind and Oblivion, Diablo 2, Dungeon Siege or Dungeon Siege 2, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 or 2

Forgot Morrowind and Oblivion (not sure how), but they're a bit more action based (particularly Oblivion) than the OP's listed games. KotOR's the closest to the turn based action of NWN and BG.

DeathQuaker
2007-02-14, 09:31 PM
If you can find it, Torment is great, but it is hard to find sometimes. If you look through the Torment thread here I think there's a site listed where you can DL it for a reasonable fee.

Fallout I and II are supposed to be fantastic--but I don't think they're much easier to find.

Of slightly more commercially available ones, and especially if you like the works of Bioware and Oblivion, go for Knights of the Old Republic I and II. Now if you hate Star Wars, I wouldn't get them, but I'm not a huge Star Wars fan (I enjoy it, but I don't obsess) and I enjoyed KoToR.

I'd say "no" to Temple of Elemental Evil... and the only other PC RPG I've played that I can remember at the moment is Arcanum, which has some brilliant merits and lamentable flaws, and is also probably hard to find.

And if all else fails, since you have Neverwinter Nights, you can download modules to your heart's content until the end of time, pretty much.

Addendum: Oh yeah, and if a PS2 does fall into your lap, the Suikoden series is fantastic, as is Shadow Hearts.

neriana
2007-02-14, 10:13 PM
How good is your PC? Oblivion is good, if your computer can handle it. Kotor 1 and 2 are very good. I'm with DeathQuaker, "no" on Temple of Elemental Evil.

There are some outstanding older games that aren't on your list. Fallout 1 and 2, Wizardry 8, and Might and Magic 6 and 7 come to mind. Ooh, also Dark Sun for a really old but most excellent game that's an obvious precursor to the BG series. I think it's classified as abandonware now.

Dungeon Siege is pure hack n' slash and item collecting. I found it very dull.

My other recommendation, if you get through all those, would be to pick up a PS2, since they're cheap now, and get some of the many wonderful RPGs for it, which are also cheap now. I'm playing Grandia 3 atm, and it's very good. And of course there's the Final Fantasy series, the Suikoden series (avoid 4, it's horrid), and many more.

Tekar
2007-02-15, 06:27 AM
If you consider Ob, DS and Diablo RPGs that is.

Timberwolf
2007-02-15, 08:21 AM
I'm going to be controversial and speak out against Fallout. I'm playing it right now and I'm bored. KoTOE 1 and 2 are awesome though.

Tengu
2007-02-15, 08:54 AM
I'm going to be controversial and speak out against Fallout.

Umm, yeah. Disliking Fallout, but liking Lionheart, is a controversial opinion.

Elliot Kane
2007-02-15, 10:01 AM
Lionheart is a fantastic game for the first half. If you stop playing when you leave Barcelona, you'll only have good thoughts about it. The less said about the second half the better...

Premier
2007-02-15, 10:09 AM
You should also look into older games, for there are some gems back there. If you haven't played them already, definitely check out Betrayal at Krondor and Albion. And if you like "1st person crawls" in the style of Eye of the Beholder, then Lands of Lore and Anvil of Dawn might be right up your street.

Indon
2007-02-15, 11:17 AM
I'll chime in for Morrowind or Oblivion if you enjoy dungeon delving (you _can_ do other things, but you get much more gameplay out of exploration/quests than other aspects of the game), Diablo if you enjoy killing lots of things (you can't so much do other things).

You can get Oblivion at any store that sells new games, but you might need to search around a bit for Morrowind or any Diablo game.

Neo
2007-02-15, 11:32 AM
To the existing list i'll add Arx Fatalis, if you like dungeon delvers like the old Ultima Underworld series.

You can get the three Fallout games as a bungle budget pack these days, seen a few of them around UK Game stores.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-15, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys. My computer is fairly new (got it around Christmas) is reasonably well equiped, but is in no way top of the line. I have a hard time spending more than $1200 on a computer. I will definitely look into trying to find PS:T and the Fallout series. As to KotOR, I do like Star Wars (read every novel produced before 1998) but I have yet to find a decent SW game, but I haven't played KotOR yet. I'll see if I can get a copy and try it out. I have played Morrowind and Oblivion on console (friend's, not mine) and found them to be kinda........just not my taste. I don't know. Feel free to suggest more bc I'm always looking for good stuff.

Om
2007-02-15, 12:22 PM
Fallout I and II are supposed to be fantastic--but I don't think they're much easier to find.There's a pack currently available, at least it was last time I checked, containing Fallout I, II and Tactics. And yes they are brilliant. Different from later Bioware/Black Isle offerings but amazing all the same.

Apart from Torment I would recommend Arcanum and the KotOR series. To my mind these are the only great PC RPGs that have been released within the last few years.

FruitOfTheShroom
2007-02-15, 10:18 PM
I second Fallout 1 and 2. They are, by far, the best RPGs I've ever played.

Keep in mind, though, that they are humor based more than drama based. But they are real gems and are worth ordering off of eBay. I can still find them in Electronics Boutique here in the states.

Have you played Icewind Dale 2? Thats a good one.

edit: Fallout Tactics is pretty bad. Fair warning :P

Om
2007-02-16, 05:26 AM
edit: Fallout Tactics is pretty bad. Fair warning :PIts not that bad. Though it can hardly be considered an RPG. I just mentioned it because it comes with the triple pack.

Exachix
2007-02-16, 05:50 AM
Beyond Divinity is a strange RPG. Quite different to most I've played. Quite hard. I've never gotten very far on it.

Might and Magic (any of them) are all very good (NOTE; Not Heroes of Might and Magic, they are Strategy)

That's all I can think of.

Tekar
2007-02-16, 05:51 AM
I found F:T to be an enjoyable game in fact. Up untill you meet the last kind of enemy at least. It definatly isn't an RPG but the squad management and turn based combat managed to keep me amused fore quite a while.

Timberwolf
2007-02-16, 07:30 AM
Umm, yeah. Disliking Fallout, but liking Lionheart, is a controversial opinion.

The game I played was ok :) It was ok but yeah, I stopped playing halfway through (owing to computer failure and just never got round to reinstalling) so it sounds like I missed a some opinion changing bits. It's ok but nothing special. Fallout is ok, I like the humour, I like the setting, I like the sheer amount of weapons available. I'm just about 1/3rd of the way through and I'm bored.

Castaras
2007-02-16, 10:01 AM
Spellforce order of dawn.

A brilliant RPG in my opinion. It's pretty and its combat systems are flexible. The game is easy to learn. Overall, a good buy. I still haven't finished, must get off the net to play it...:smalltongue:

Timberwolf
2007-02-16, 10:36 AM
I really ought to reinstall that and play it. I got it when it was new and my puter back then wouldn't quite handle it. It's got RPGing with a bit of RTSing in it. I really liked it.

Airk
2007-02-16, 11:29 AM
Dungeon Siege is pure hack n' slash and item collecting. I found it very dull.

Yes, but if you happen to HAVE Dungeon Siege, you can run Ultima V: Lazarus (http://www.u5lazarus.com/) - a splendid DS Mod remake of nigh-legendary Ultima V. Do not miss it. It's -free- if you have a copy of Dungeon Siege to run it on. (Well, free except for the 80 hours of your life you'll spend in Brittania.)

neriana
2007-02-17, 02:02 PM
Yes, but if you happen to HAVE Dungeon Siege, you can run Ultima V: Lazarus (http://www.u5lazarus.com/) - a splendid DS Mod remake of nigh-legendary Ultima V. Do not miss it. It's -free- if you have a copy of Dungeon Siege to run it on. (Well, free except for the 80 hours of your life you'll spend in Brittania.)

Cool, I'll have to try that out if I can find the time.

Elliot Kane
2007-02-17, 03:20 PM
SpellForce and its sequels are all fantastic games, BUT they are RPG/RTS hybrids, be warned.

I love them as I play both genres. Others may not.

Aidan305
2007-02-18, 10:07 AM
I'm another voice for Torment. It's easily the best CRPG I've ever played, far outsripping any other.

I'd also reccommend the Exile series by Spiderweb Software (Less so the avernum series by same) as being some pretty incredible RPG's.

Shikton
2007-02-18, 01:44 PM
I'll also vouch for the Exile games. Good stuff, even though the graphics are really basic. You'll have some fun with good character generation and quite tactical battles. Think I need to get those games again...and actually try to play through them this time.

Caelestion
2007-02-20, 06:12 AM
Morrowind and Oblivion are SO much better on the PC. The less said about OB's original HUD, the better!

Shikton
2007-02-21, 07:58 AM
Ho-hum, guess I could mention Divine Divinity too. Hasn't been mentioned, has it? No, think not. Sorta Diablo-ish, only a hell of a lot more fun.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-02-22, 02:03 AM
SW:KotOR is a great game. I'd go with that.

neriana
2007-02-22, 06:37 PM
Ho-hum, guess I could mention Divine Divinity too. Hasn't been mentioned, has it? No, think not. Sorta Diablo-ish, only a hell of a lot more fun.

I'll second that. There's an actual story n'stuff.

Miklus
2007-02-26, 03:14 PM
Another vote for Planescape: Torment! It was the first RPG I played. At first I thought it was really bizzare, (and it is) but the main story kept me interrested. If you liked BG 1+2, you will like this.

Varen_Tai
2007-02-26, 03:25 PM
And yet ANOTHER P:T vote. Plus, it is EASILY located on eBay for very cheap. :)