PDA

View Full Version : whats your favorite mount

zegma
2007-02-14, 03:47 PM
whats your favertie mount int dnd? mines the ash worm.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-14, 03:50 PM
*I will not make a sex joke*

Nothing beats a silver dragon for sheer awesomeness. Barring that, probably a powerful goddess.

DAMN IT!

JellyPooga
2007-02-14, 03:57 PM
Are we talking things that are normally considered to be mounts/can be mounts (horses, riding dogs, dragons, etc.) or are we talking what would just make a cool mount (i.e. anything that you could concievably straddle whilst it walks/flies/swims)?

In the 1st case: Brixashulty (from RotW). Weird Goat/Sheep/Cow thing bred by Halflings, with a badass headbutt attack. Either that or a Giant Spider (with a special saddle that holds you in when it starts climbing walls).

In the 2nd case: hmm, dunno really...possibly a Dire Hawk or somesuch.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-02-14, 03:59 PM
Without the overtly sexual comment; mine would have to be the Drakkensteed from (either) Races of the Dragon OR Dragon Magic (can't remember which).

Wippit Guud
2007-02-14, 04:05 PM
Zaratan!
Behold my mount that is my island!

Gamebird
2007-02-14, 04:30 PM
A druid.

Blah, blah, character minimum.

Quietus
2007-02-14, 04:34 PM
I usually am the mount, when it matters. Rojoro's back even comes with handy little places to hang on.

RoG623
2007-02-14, 04:35 PM
I have always been fond of the good old gelatinous cube.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-02-14, 04:36 PM
A gelatinous cube (Arms and Equipment Guide).

EDIT: Dammit! My reflexes are the lose!

Thiel
2007-02-14, 04:39 PM
Dire Bat or Medium Monstrous Spider if I'm small.
Large Monstrous Spider if I'm medium.

Ramza00
2007-02-14, 04:40 PM
An awakened pony who now due to his intelligence can be made into a cohort.

Who then takes Wildshape Ranger (or monk) and then goes into Master of Many Forms.

A mount that can be practically any mount you want :smallwink:

Seriously, phantom steed

clericwithnogod
2007-02-14, 04:42 PM
Worgs, hands down, but if I can't swing that, I can settle for a war dog.

jayphonic
2007-02-14, 04:44 PM
Phantom Steed! Lasts for hours. Can travel up to 240' a round as a move action, can even fly! All that for a 3rd level spell. Yes, please! :)

DaMullet
2007-02-14, 04:46 PM
If I'm a small character, then the party barbarian. I ride into combat on his shoulders, since I'm usually a caster of some sort, and start slinging spells that have no somatic components while making concentration checks to hold onto a raging meatshield.

But seriously, I like the warhorse. It's good, it's solid, it's traditional.

Stephen_E
2007-02-14, 04:47 PM
Small creature - Dire Bat
Medium - Dire Wolf or Winter Wolf.

I do like Gamebirds answer. :smallbiggrin:

Stephen

Colin Archibald
2007-02-14, 04:47 PM
Failling...will save....gah...

Yeah i'd mount a Nymph...

ok well seriously i'm always up for a Dragon but Large or Huge. Simply so he would have the same mentality as a young adult human. A good Dragon...perhaps take the Dragon familiar Feat or Dragon cohort feat.

clockwork warrior
2007-02-14, 04:51 PM
definitely the dire badger for a gnome with the special saddle from races of stone so you can go tunneling with it :smallbiggrin:

Meynolds
2007-02-14, 04:58 PM
Top 3 in order:

1: Ancient Wyrm Gold Dragon! Intimidation Factor!
2: Battletitan Dinosaur (MMIII) Sheer Awesomeness!
3: A heavy Warhorse. Necessary for any good fighter.

talsine
2007-02-14, 04:58 PM
Dire Goat. Its the only thing i'm jealous of as a Horde player in WoW. The Dwarven goats are the second best mounts in the game (after the Kodo, which i also don't have, cause i'm a troll /sigh)

ZekeArgo
2007-02-14, 07:27 PM
Dire Goat. Its the only thing i'm jealous of as a Horde player in WoW. The Dwarven goats are the second best mounts in the game (after the Kodo, which i also don't have, cause i'm a troll /sigh)

First of all how the heck can you like rams over the awesomeness that is riding a raptor? The only thing that exceeds *that* is the epic undead glowy-steed.

cupkeyk
2007-02-14, 07:29 PM
I particularly enamored by Rebecca Guay's interpretation of the merfolk.

Dire hawks are available to Druids levels 6 and higher. *droolssssh*

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-14, 07:32 PM
Either griffon or red dragon. Plus a few templates if I can afford them.:smallbiggrin:

Arbitrarity
2007-02-14, 09:58 PM
Elephant :).

I tried it once, didn't get past the DM.

Skyserpent
2007-02-14, 10:05 PM
Riding Dog. Awesomeness in a 5x5foot square. A Dungeon Crawling, fast moving bugger with a Lance and some paladin levels? Yes please!

jjpickar
2007-02-14, 10:10 PM
Skybleeder. Acid rain anyone? Heh. HEHE MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2007-02-14, 10:13 PM
Tyrannosaurus rex. I've been dreaming about that since I was 6.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-14, 10:25 PM
Triceratops. Mount a machine gun and quad-rocket launchers...(note to self: stop making Turok references in D&D). If I was a druid, Warbound Impaler (MMIII).

starwoof
2007-02-14, 10:28 PM
Triceratops. Mount a machine gun and quad-rocket launchers...
Ditto. I still play that game all the time. :smallbiggrin:

I have a 3rd party sourcebook with a quadrupedal template. The example they give is a quadrupedal succubus. Ick. :smalleek:

Rabiesbunny
2007-02-15, 02:07 AM
Hands down the Black Unicorn. Well, you can only ride it if you're an evil woman.

But for evil woman? They're AWESOME.

Scorpina
2007-02-15, 03:01 AM
Unicorns rock. Riding worgs is also cool.

I've never done it, but I'd like to have a character ride on a Large Monstorous Scorpion or Spider.

Melrob
2007-02-15, 03:46 AM
If you're evil: Nightmare, without a doubt. Cool as looking, great abilities: ethereal jaunt etc...I mean look at this baby here Oo -

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41384051/

Whereas my 21st level LG Fighter/DD/Pally rides a young Brass Dragon and she's a reet cutey :)

ZekeArgo
2007-02-15, 11:40 AM
If you're evil: Nightmare, without a doubt. Cool as looking, great abilities: ethereal jaunt etc...I mean look at this baby here Oo -

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41384051/

Whereas my 21st level LG Fighter/DD/Pally rides a young Brass Dragon and she's a reet cutey :)

Shame the thing has a tendency to drop you off in the lower planes...

Josh Inno
2007-02-15, 11:55 AM
whats your favertie mount int dnd? mines the ash worm.

In the RPGA: Silkie, my faithful Malmut riding dog, who doesn't actually have the full training of a normal riding dog, but rather is 'trained for war' and tends to chew through things better than most party fighters, both figuratively and literally.

In home games: My halfling druid's glidewing, yet to be named, as I'm still building the pint sized rider for a game that starts at 5th level.

In both cases, I'm playing halfling druid. Go fig.

Indon
2007-02-15, 12:14 PM
I have a 3rd party sourcebook with a quadrupedal template. The example they give is a quadrupedal succubus. Ick. :smalleek:

Now that is a succubus you can ride.

<rollwillsave>

Into battle, too.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-02-15, 12:22 PM
Half-pyroclastic dragon Bulette named Siege. The Claws of the Ripper and bladed mithral full plate barding are optional.

talsine
2007-02-15, 12:56 PM
First of all how the heck can you like rams over the awesomeness that is riding a raptor? The only thing that exceeds *that* is the epic undead glowy-steed.

The raptor models are all boring, except the ivory raptor, which you can't get anymore. And anyone can get a glowy undead warhorse, if your willing to kill the baron enough. But only the alliance can get goats, and that makes them special.

ZekeArgo
2007-02-15, 01:01 PM
The raptor models are all boring, except the ivory raptor, which you can't get anymore. And anyone can get a glowy undead warhorse, if your willing to kill the baron enough. But only the alliance can get goats, and that makes them special.

Raptors... boring? I see that individually the words work, but together the statement makes no sense.

That and if it comes from the alliance it is fit only for ridicule and/or death.

Gerrtt
2007-02-15, 01:06 PM
Anything that flies if your campaign isn't all walking through dark tunnels and such. In such cases, something that can walk on walls.

Melrob
2007-02-15, 05:05 PM
Shame the thing has a tendency to drop you off in the lower planes...

Methinks you're thinking of the Obsidian Steed 'Figurine of wondrous power'...which'll only do that if you're of good alignment ;)

Im sure a Nightmare would do the same, but I doubt many good characters get to sit on the back of a Nightmare in the first place.

ZekeArgo
2007-02-15, 05:44 PM
Methinks you're thinking of the Obsidian Steed 'Figurine of wondrous power'...which'll only do that if you're of good alignment ;)

Im sure a Nightmare would do the same, but I doubt many good characters get to sit on the back of a Nightmare in the first place.

Hmm, coulda sworn there was a problem with that with regular nightmares as well. Didn't they put out a "Lesser Nightmare" in the Planar Handbook or some such because of this?

mikeejimbo
2007-02-15, 05:57 PM
Dire Shark. 'cause you can.

Hzurr
2007-02-15, 07:01 PM
Tyrannosaurus rex. I've been dreaming about that since I was 6.

I made an NPC for a friend's game once, who was a halfling outrider that rode a T-Rex.

I think we named the halfling "Patsy Longbottoms," just because it was the only name that would suffice for a halfling who was a big enough pimp to ride a T-rex.

Dhavaer
2007-02-15, 07:06 PM
Proper: Griffin

Sex Joke: Doppleganger

Arceliar
2007-02-15, 07:22 PM
What mount is the most fun, hmmmm.......................

The terrasque? Well, if you're riding outside the stomach..

Rabiesbunny
2007-02-15, 07:25 PM
Dragonnes are pretty hawt.

Norsesmithy
2007-02-15, 08:28 PM
Asperi have always had a warm spot in my heart.

Perfect for Blue ice breast plate barding too.

Baring that, a Silver Dragon.

Tough_Tonka
2007-02-15, 10:04 PM
The pride and joy of my gnome beguilers is his adorable clawfoot (pigmy raptor). Just so fun :smallbiggrin:

But Me and a friend came up with an interesting idea about T-Rex mounts. I figure it must be cheaper (less training and upkeep) and more practical to use a T-Rex skeleton as a mount/house. My gnome could put a little nook in the chest cavity of the Skeleton. Megaraptor could work and its cheaper since it has less HD but its the principle of the matter.

Fhaolan
2007-02-16, 12:25 AM
My wife's high-level ranger (3.0) has a wartiger animal companion. (Advanced Tiger + Warbeast template).

Pretty much anything with the warbeast template. Rhino, Tiger, Bear, Dire Boar. It's all cool. :)

Tor the Fallen
2007-02-16, 02:49 AM
I've never done it, but I'd like to have a character ride on a Large Monstorous Scorpion or Spider.

In the 3.0 MM, monstorous scorpions are only a few inches off the ground. The saddle would be sort of weird.

Duskwither
2007-02-16, 03:00 AM
Natural Lycanthrope Wearbear Half-Gold Dragon Minotaur.

But seriously, sign me up for an Erinyes. You can actually feel slightly more accomplished for riding them around then those skanky Succubi.

Quietus
2007-02-16, 03:03 PM
Arachnotroll. One of my PC's is playing an awakened monstrous spider in one of my games, and rather than simply working his way up the size scale, we've decided that at level four, he'll hit Large size, then from there till level 10 he'll work on some racial hit dice and become a tauric spider/troll. Picture a Large monstrous spider, with the head gone, and a troll's torso growing out of the front of the body. And though he doesn't know it yet, one of our PC's is likely to end up riding him, one day.

Josh Inno
2007-02-16, 03:09 PM
I'd rather not picture any kind of spider, thank you. Driders are not hot. They are hella creepy.

Anyway, where is this warbeast template?

Gamebird
2007-02-16, 03:10 PM
Tome of Horrors, if memory serves. It boils down to +2HD, +2 STR and +2 CON. Sometimes there's a natural armor increase too, but I forget the value.

Oh, also the animal picks up the Combat Riding tricks and proficiency with Light, Medium and Heavy armor.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-16, 03:14 PM
Dire Wolf (Is a Tolsmir Wolfblood fanboy)

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-16, 03:18 PM
When Small: Displacer Beast (if Evil) or Blink Dog (if Good). That's always a lot of fun for a charger.

When Medium: Owlbear

Penguinizer
2007-02-16, 03:19 PM
I suppose a controlled Tarrasque isnt an option?

Fhaolan
2007-02-16, 03:28 PM
Anyway, where is this warbeast template?

Uhm.... where the heck was it, now? Monster Manual II? Yah, that's where I found it. It's 3.0 there, though. I don't know when or if it got updated to 3.5.

talsine
2007-02-16, 03:37 PM
Raptors... boring? I see that individually the words work, but together the statement makes no sense.

That and if it comes from the alliance it is fit only for ridicule and/or death.

Maybe its because i;m working on my fifth raptor, but they just don't do it for me. But the goats, oh man, they loot hawt.

The second line quoted for truth!

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-16, 03:47 PM
There's been alot of talk about T-rex mounts, but has anyone considered half-fiend rexes? I made one a while ago and it's pretty nasty.

Josh Inno
2007-02-16, 03:48 PM
Ah. Thank you muchly Fhaolan.

Solaris
2007-02-16, 06:38 PM
The Arms & Equipment Guide says that monstrous spiders and monstrous scorpions have to be two sizes larger than their rider, rather than just one. *Shrugs* Dunno if that's sticking around in 3.5 games or not, but I've kept it.
Not that I've ever had people riding around on spiders, what with me lacking drow and just about anything other than three subraces of elf, three subraces of human, and a single human subrace on my campaign world. Oh, and animals/animalistic monsters, constructs, and undead, but that's about it unless the players have done something wrong and are tangling with critters from the netherworld.
However, if I have the time . . . hydra. If I'm feeling evil, I'm adding templates. If not, I'm just going for sheer "Just because I can, ya pansy" factor here.

Kevlimin_Soulaxe
2007-02-16, 07:01 PM
I always like riding thing that were "too big".

...Not a sex joke...

Goblin fighter on a heavy warhorse, elven scout/ranger type thing on an elephant (probably walking around on it), or, in the ultimate sense, a permanently Reduce Person'd pixie on a Mastodon.

Mr Pants
2007-02-16, 07:23 PM
my gnome prefers riding on a dire fiendish weasel
and my awakened golem was a mount for another of our players

Ninja Chocobo
2007-02-16, 07:42 PM
Plague Brush from MMIII.
Laaa lalalalalaa la la la Katamari Damashii..

Chavik
2007-02-16, 09:00 PM
Huge sized Giant Dragonfly: exotic military saddle with the "pilot", sidecar saddles with gnome casters wielding wands of fireball, and towing an air-worthy chariot with an Enchanted repeating heavy crossbow and a staff wielder

AKA the medieval Apache Longbow helicopter

iceman
2007-02-17, 12:00 PM
Dwarf character riding a cantancorous, spitefully mean Donkey. Nothing like having to "find your ass after a battle". Not to mention the bigger and badder the mount/animal companion/cohort the bigger the target on the forehead of said friend. Its the simple mounts and animal companions that are more likely to survive than the ones that are better than the pc's
Who wants a mount that is quite literally better than them in every single way, anyway?

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-17, 12:17 PM
Hmmm. Is it possible to get a huge sized wolf as an animal companion, as a ranger?

Rabiesbunny
2007-02-17, 12:31 PM
I think a Dire Wolf should be big enough, Dire Bears certainly are,

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-17, 12:33 PM
You could always take a cue from the Olympian gods and tie yourself to the back of a titan...

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-17, 12:35 PM
But I want to stand on the back of my mobile lupine archery platform, like a one-man furry mumak.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-17, 01:00 PM
Well why not a half-dragon troll weredirebear? Maybe it's not a wolf, but this is an incredible epic mount

The only problem is that this is a level 34 character after LA and HD (to get it huge). But for it, you get this-

+40 strength
+6 dexterity
+22 constitution
-2 intelligence
+2 wisdom
-2 charisma
+5 extra attribute points due to HD

HD= 23d10+256 (383)
Make it's dragon type either of the fire or acid variety (probably fire since it's far more common). There, now it can only be killed by one energy type, has regeneration, is huge sized when in hybrid mode, can rend for a terrifying amount of damage, tons of skills, a breath weapon, can fly, has +5 natural armor, has damage reduction (incredibly cruel for the few guys actually contesting it with an acid spell), gets Alertness, Endurance, Toughness, Run, Weapon Focus (Claw), three other feats, and is just about the scariest perfectly legal use of templates ever created.

Basically, I just made an intelligent and mountable mini-Tarrasque.

Neon Knight
2007-02-17, 01:03 PM
Giant Dire Badger.

Teloric
2007-02-17, 11:22 PM
Well, here it is at page 3. My response? A horse. Yup, that's it. I happen to like horses. They have good utility, strength, are readily available, easy to maintain, train, and keep. They are readily accepted pretty much anywhere you go, and there are a whole variety of them to suit particular needs such as riding, war, pack, or even draught.

Call me a traditionalist, but you can't go wrong with a good horse...

HeinleinFan
2007-02-18, 01:31 AM
Proud owner and operator of a Paladin of Freedom, 3rd level, riding a Dire Boar. (Not her special mount; the barbarian riding it became so many little chopped up cubes of Orc.)

Great low-level mount. Highly recommended, if you can get it without it killing you.

Lehteb
2007-02-18, 02:48 AM
I like my dire bear just fine..... as much fun as something majestic like a dragon would be, a mid to low level campain makes my dire bear something of a combat god

Weiser_Cain
2007-02-18, 03:29 AM
In dnd a black dragon in my setting a riding scorpion of the appropriate size.

Callista
2007-02-18, 03:39 AM
Blink Dog. Especially if a halfling Paladin/rogue calls one as a mount. Because that's just cool!

You can't actually Dimension Door with the blink dog, but you can take advantage of extra cover when you're riding it. And, when you're not riding it, it can blink over to your enemy's flank, so you can sneak attack!

Don't think a Paladin/Rogue is a good RP combination? Just think "honorable swashbuckler" and you'll be right on the money!

Kalessin
2007-02-18, 11:03 AM
Definetely....

A half-fiend unicorn. Or female elves seem always cool.

LoopyZebra
2007-02-19, 12:08 AM
Fiendish Dire Duck. Because there is nothing more humilating than being bitten by something without teeth.