PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Double Hackbut. Ways to get size increases?

Guard
2014-05-18, 01:49 PM
So I'm playing E6 in pathfinder. We're approaching level 4, and leveling is going forward at a good pace. So far, I'm the only player out of nine not to have kicked the bucket at least once, which probably means my luck will run out sometime soon. I got to trawling through the d20pfsrd for things that can make for an interesting character build.

I stumbled across the gunslinger, or, more specifically, the double hackbut. It's a two-handed firearm which comes with a rolling tripod which you have to set up before shooting. It deals 2d12 damage, can be fired twice before reloading, and has a range increment of 50ft.

It seems to me that this has potential. Suppose I went half-giant gunslinger 6, if I took Vital Strike and got one of the mages to cast enlarge person on me, I'd deal 16d6 damage per round, which I think is respectable. It comes out to an average of 56 damage.

Now, the prime way to increase this would be size increases. Are there any ways to increase size which stacks with the two above?

Axier
2014-05-18, 02:15 PM
So I'm playing E6 in pathfinder. We're approaching level 4, and leveling is going forward at a good pace. So far, I'm the only player out of nine not to have kicked the bucket at least once, which probably means my luck will run out sometime soon. I got to trawling through the d20pfsrd for things that can make for an interesting character build.

I stumbled across the gunslinger, or, more specifically, the double hackbut. It's a two-handed firearm which comes with a rolling tripod which you have to set up before shooting. It deals 2d12 damage, can be fired twice before reloading, and has a range increment of 50ft.

It seems to me that this has potential. Suppose I went half-giant gunslinger 6, if I took Vital Strike and got one of the mages to cast enlarge person on me, I'd deal 16d6 damage per round, which I think is respectable. It comes out to an average of 56 damage.

Now, the prime way to increase this would be size increases. Are there any ways to increase size which stacks with the two above?

IF you can get the enchantment Impact; it will deal damage one size above the weapon size. So that is a huge double hackbutt doing Gargantuan damage. Then vital strike it.

The Oni
2014-05-18, 02:51 PM
I believe that the Titan Mauler's ability to wield weapons a size category larger than himself was officially errata'd to melee only...but the DM doesn't have to know that, maybe? You could wield a Gargantuan hackbut for Colossal damage (and at that point, you really ought to just nickname your gun The Space Elevator.)

Guard
2014-05-18, 03:11 PM
Hmm. Is titan mauler's print different from what it says on the d20pfsrd? Because if that's not the case, they don't get to wield over-sized weapons at all, they just remove the penalty for doing so.

I might be able to get my DM to let me use Gravity Bow on guns. Then gunslinger 2/ranger 4 becomes an option.
Let's see, even with a musket, which is more reasonable to expect to get to deploy, I'd vital strike for

1d12->3d6->4d6->6d6

12d6, for an average damage of 42+dex, or the double hackbut version, for a truly silly average of 84+dex. What has that many hp in e6?

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-05-18, 03:20 PM
Enlarge Person doesn't work on ranged weapons, the projectiles shrink back to normal size.

Guard
2014-05-18, 03:24 PM
Is that so? I remember the 3.5e version then; weapon damage was based on the weapon that fired the projectile back then, while thrown weapons shrunk in damage.

Erik Vale
2014-05-18, 03:49 PM
You could buy a larger Hackbutt if you plan on only firing it while enlarged. Do note that you'r still going to have to set it up...

My personal preferance is a sized increased goblin with Goblin Gunner. Counts as a size larger for gun wielding where preferable to ignore set up, but not for the -4 to hit for wrong sized weapon, something to note incase Titan Mauler doesn't work [not that I know what that last one is, but I think it's what you're using to upsize]

You could make a large goblin in the race builder...

Edit: You could try finding a way to get Expansion manifested on you. Create a high enough CL [Not Wand] of it for UMD and make yourself larger than enlarge person could ever make you.