PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] What happens to my Eidolon in an antimagic field?

Frosty
2014-05-18, 02:45 PM
A summoner's Eidolon can come to the material plane because of the strong connection it has with the summoner. It is still technically a summoned creature iirc, so does it just automatically wink out if it enters an AMF, and then wink back in once the AMF is removed? Or perhaps the bond strong enough for the eidolon to ignore the AMF?

Even if the Eidolon stays, does that mean Life Link (Su) no longer works? Life Link is technically an ability of the Summoner (who is in this case NOT in the AMF).

Now switch it around. If the Summoner is in the AMF, is the Eidolon affected in any way besides Life Link not working?

Yanisa
2014-05-18, 02:58 PM
Eidolons in an Anti-Magic field will wink out, and reappear when the anti magic field moves or ends, as per normal for summoned creatures in an anti-magic field. It has no defense against the effect of shield, non are listed in the class ability and it is treated as a summoned creature.

Also yes, supernatural abilities don't work in anti-magic field. So if either the Eidolon or the Summoner is in one, the entire ability fails to work.

And indeed, except the shared abilities, if the summoner is in an anti-magic field it won't impact the Eidolon.

Frosty
2014-05-18, 04:28 PM
If my Eidolon winks out, can I use my Summon Monster SLA since I am no longer using my Eidolon at that point? If so, which one should disappear when the AMF is removed?

If I can't use the SLA, am I at least allowed to unsummon my Eidolon and then summon it again next to me (either the 1 min ritual or the spell Summon Eidolon)?

Yanisa
2014-05-19, 01:44 AM
Hmmm, it is not really explained in the rules.

The Eidolon most likely still counts as summoned, because when the antimagic field moves, he is able to return to the same spot. It is not as if the Eidolon is back on the planes, but he is more in summon limbo. And because he can return at any moment I would say you cannot use the Summon Monster SLA, but you can dismiss him and resummon him to get him out of the limbo state. (However it isn't RAW, but it seems the most logical based the RAW we have.)

JeenLeen
2014-05-19, 08:38 AM
If my Eidolon winks out, can I use my Summon Monster SLA since I am no longer using my Eidolon at that point? If so, which one should disappear when the AMF is removed?

If I can't use the SLA, am I at least allowed to unsummon my Eidolon and then summon it again next to me (either the 1 min ritual or the spell Summon Eidolon)?

I would think you are still using your Eidolon, but that it is just suppressed by the anti-magic field. Thus, you could not use your Summon Monster SLA. However, I agree with Yanisa that you should be able to dismiss the eidolon and either re-summon it or use your SLAs.

It is cool that, when looking at the summoner class (http://paizo.com/prd/advanced/baseClasses/summoner.html), "Eidolon" is not listed as Ex, Su, or Sp, so it does look correct that the summoner being in the AMF would not dismiss the eidolon, as mentioned above.
On a related note, the rune that appears on your summoner when the eidolon is summoned... I think it should remain active whether you and/or your eidolon are in an AMF, since that is under the text of "Eidolon" (which is neither Su or Sp), at least by RAW.

Spore
2014-05-19, 09:54 AM
Eidolons are treated as summoned creatures, except that they are not sent back to their home plane until reduced to a number of negative hit points equal to or greater than their Constitution score. In addition, due to its tie to its summoner, an eidolon can touch and attack creatures warded by protection from evil and similar effects that prevent contact with summoned creatures.

Emphasis mine. EVERYTHING works as summoned monsters except things that are stated in the paragraph.

Frosty
2014-05-19, 12:59 PM
Okay thanks. Lastly, if I cast the Summon Eidolon spell to summon my Eidolon, can I also Dimensional Anchor my Eidolon to prevent Dispel Magic from sending it back to its home plane?

Yanisa
2014-05-19, 01:20 PM
Nope.

A green ray springs from your hand. You must make a ranged touch attack to hit the target. Any creature or object struck by the ray is covered with a shimmering emerald field that completely blocks extradimensional travel. Forms of movement barred by a dimensional anchor include astral projection, blink, dimension door, ethereal jaunt, etherealness, gate, maze, plane shift, shadow walk, teleport, and similar spell-like abilities. The spell also prevents the use of a gate or teleportation circle for the duration of the spell.

A dimensional anchor does not interfere with the movement of creatures already in ethereal or astral form when the spell is cast, nor does it block extradimensional perception or attack forms. Also, dimensional anchor does not prevent summoned creatures from disappearing at the end of a summoning spell.

First off there is a clear list of spells it prevents, and dispel is not one them. Secondly it has a clear statement for summoned creatures, and dispel is the same as ending the spell prematurely, so the same rule would apply.