PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Storytellers' Character Creation Competition Chat Thread

Jallorn
2014-05-18, 04:13 PM
This is the chat thread for the new competition. This is where we discuss ideas, whether for the current competition of for the themes for the next competition, entries, and general camaraderie. This is also where you can give me feedback on how I can improve the competition for later phases.

Current Competition: The Royal Court (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?349611-First-Ever-Storytellers-Character-Creation-Competition&p=17486154#post17486154)

ArendK
2014-05-19, 03:55 AM
Is this campaign setting specific and what are the stat generation methods?

Jallorn
2014-05-19, 12:39 PM
No, not setting specific, and I knew there was something I was missing. 28 Point Buy, updating the competition thread.

Huh... the competition thread has been deleted. Did I miss something? Also, why wasn't I informed?

ArendK
2014-05-19, 12:52 PM
No, not setting specific, and I knew there was something I was missing. 28 Point Buy, updating the competition thread.

Huh... the competition thread has been deleted. Did I miss something? Also, why wasn't I informed?

Not sure; Maybe because for it to a build-off (even if it is story support by crunchy bits builds), it has to be a system, and if we are using 3.5/PF, it should be in that sub-forum? That's the only thing I can come up with.

Also, are we talking 3.5 or PF 28 Point Buy?

Jallorn
2014-05-19, 12:54 PM
3.5 point buy. It wasn't moved though, it's just deleted. I checked my subscriptions, and it's gone.

ArendK
2014-05-19, 01:19 PM
I'd suggest PM'ing one of the mods to see if something went amiss then.

Jallorn
2014-05-19, 01:28 PM
I contacted Glyphstone already. Just waiting on a response.

Update: Glyph says it was probably a technological accident and is recovering the thread.

Jallorn
2014-05-19, 05:57 PM
Thread is back and updated.

ArendK
2014-05-20, 06:19 AM
If I submit a character with a 20 point buy from Pathfinder (since PF is allowed), will that be considered "wrong?"
They are roughly about the same power-level, and easier to do the math for me.

Jallorn
2014-05-20, 01:30 PM
Here, use this (http://1d8.blogspot.com/2011/02/d-35-point-buy-calculator.html) to calculate your point buy.

ArendK
2014-05-22, 01:15 AM
I'll be posting a character there soon; only hiccup is this thing called work, which makes getting to make characters difficult, and I probably won't be near my computer the next few days due to some other things up and running.

My catch is that balance between what will seem optimized for one is not what I see as optimized; so I'm working tweaking what I have until I'm satisfied with crunch supporting fluff and vis a versa.

My biggest issue is creating one entirely new; I keep wanting to take old builds or concepts and re-tweak them. I think I've got a good one that would be both fun to role-play and effective at his given role (that being damage in this case) for a normal party.

ArendK
2014-05-22, 01:29 PM
I'm interested in seeing what other creations people come up with, and what level of detail they choose to go into.

For my entry, Iravon Deskeiner, I thought I'd go back to Eberron, as it is my favorite of the 3.5 settings. Initially I was going to design something for Golarion, but I decided I'd keep in with the 3.5 theme and avoid Pathfinder since I really don't like mixing the systems unless I have to.

I started kicking around a few ideas for inspiration, and was initially going to do a Warforged, but decided against it (that and my Hero Lab isn't really rigged for that at the moment and I build entirely with my computer nowadays due to logistics). I've done Karrnathi wizards, Cyran fighter/rogues, Valenar warriors, and even a Thranish Paladin of the Flame (with a bow for kicks); and I wanted something I haven't done before.
Thinking about inspiration for the character during work hours today, I came up with several images/concepts/thoughts I wanted to incorporate into one character and still make him playable and not just a story piece; here's the thoughts I thought of;

-Lord of the Rings and Aragorns carrying of the Evenstar jewel.
-Metal Gear Solid and the discussion of "War being nothing but a sport" between Snake and Naomi; a kind of camaraderie even amongst enemies.
-Rurouni Kenshin and the title characters focus on a single blade; I was torn between a bastard sword and a greatsword, and even now I can't make up my mind.

And the last bit of inspiration I got spurned a few twists and turns after I named my character (usually the last thing I do for a build) and the similarity in name made me think of this;
-Final Fantasy series; Adelbert Steiner (FF9) and Seifer Almasy (FF8)- I personally loved the dynamic between Steiner and Beatrix how they love each other, despite their differing approaches and demeanors. Even when they are fighting on the opposite side of each other, the writing and concept is intriguing to me. And as for Seifer, the self-idealization and justification of "the Empress' Knight" as well as the fact no matter what, he always went after whatever he thought was right, consequences be damned. Those had a certain appeal to me that might be a fun challenge to role-play out (or not, if I play this character with a bunch of murder-hobos).

Gildedragon
2014-05-22, 02:39 PM
3.5? Shouldn't this go in the 3.5 subforum instead?

Think I got an idea.
Q regarding the necropolitan template: if I use it is the fella at lvl 4 or 5. Figure I'll post a note of what changes with the level change. Not much...

Jallorn
2014-05-22, 03:12 PM
3.5? Shouldn't this go in the 3.5 subforum instead?

Think I got an idea.
Q regarding the necropolitan template: if I use it is the fella at lvl 4 or 5. Figure I'll post a note of what changes with the level change. Not much...

Technically he's at level 5.

And no, because although this round of the competition is 3.5, I haven't ruled out doing other game systems at some point in the future.

Gildedragon
2014-05-30, 09:51 PM
So my illumian cleric is pretty much done.
Focusing on sort of scholarly / diplomatic tasks: so there's an emphasis on kn. skills and diplomacy
Heavy undeath/spiritism theme; he is a representative of death gods, so him being good at diplomacy is a big plus as it probably means people's stating attitude is unfriendly (if not downright hostile for the being undead thing)

Jallorn
2014-06-06, 03:01 AM
Going to make it official: since we've only got two submissions, and since we've attracted no chat presence, I'm going to call this competition a bust, especially since I've gotten caught up in RL stuff enough that I don't have the energy to advertise.

If the state of things changes, I'm still subscribed, so I'll resume moderating, and keep things going, but as they are this is probably dead.

SiuiS
2014-06-06, 03:09 AM

Yeah, see, this isn't generic RPG. I can't enter with anything but a D&D specific build, so it is D&D specific. You're not getting interest because you're advertising for it in the wrong spot; no one reading Men's Health is going to be interested in a midol ad, y'know?

As soon as you said 28 point buy, I shelved my WoD idea, my FATE idea and my apocalypse world idea. That's bad for business.

Jallorn
2014-06-06, 03:41 AM
Yeah, see, this isn't generic RPG. I can't enter with anything but a D&D specific build, so it is D&D specific. You're not getting interest because you're advertising for it in the wrong spot; no one reading Men's Health is going to be interested in a midol ad, y'know?

As soon as you said 28 point buy, I shelved my WoD idea, my FATE idea and my apocalypse world idea. That's bad for business.

I can't agree with you there. I've left the door open for other systems for later competitions, in fact I planned to do other systems in time, but started with the one that is by far the most popular on these boards. Could I allow multi-system entries? Yes, but it makes judging and voting that much harder, especially when there's so many games out there. I decided that it would be fairer and easier to stick to one system at a time, and I started with the one most statistically likely to draw people.

Did I lose you personally from this particular round? Apparently so, but that'll happen sometimes. There are plenty of other ways I contributed to the failure of this project so far, but picking DnD? I don't think that's one of them.

SiuiS
2014-06-07, 07:11 PM
I can't agree with you there. I've left the door open for other systems for later competitions, in fact I planned to do other systems in time,

Which would be other threads, really. But the big point is just what you said; you targeted this contest at 3e players... And then didn't advertise to them.

A bit of an oversight is all.