PDA

View Full Version : Please, we are desperate. Help find my friend.

TheCryingApple
2014-05-18, 09:25 PM
My friend, a frequent visitor of these forums has gone missing.
His family, his friends, everyone who knows him or has heard of him is mortified. thousands of people on facebook have joined in to find him. i went with a group of friends to hang up posters and look for him, and i know many more people will begin searching tomorrow.

the reason im posting here is because we are desperate. he brought his laptop with him, so i think he may be going on the internet. and if he is on the internet, i think its fairly reasonable that he has visited these forums. i haven't been on these forums frequently enough to tell you guys his username, or ask on any specific subforum. all i know is that his profile picture is a "poorly drawn triceratops jedi" (quoting my friend).

Honestly, i just want him to see this. to know that we care about him and that we want him home. hes gone through some tough s**t and that we can try to help him though it. his friends care about him dearly. his family is distraught. i spent the last two nights breaking down because he is one of my closest friends and the thought of not seeing him again or worse brings me to tears.

he is a type one insulin dependant diabetic. he has been missing since thursday.
he lives in new york city, but there have been reports that he was seen in philadelphia.
he is 130 pounds, almost 6 feet tall (5' 11' cause he is a bit of a sloucher)
he is wearing a black hoodie and a black shirt.

i wont give more information until ive gotten the go ahead from his parents to post names, numbers and pictures.

please come home man, we miss you so god damn much
-Jakub, Patryk, Danny, Sofiya, Alisha, Rachael, Jessica and many, many more.

TheCryingApple
2014-05-18, 09:32 PM
i just got the go ahead. here is the poster we have been putting everywhere. http://i.imgur.com/h7J6oqj.jpg

im sorry im posting on your forums about something you guys might not care about or not be able to help about.
but there arent many things we can do, and im trying everything.
i know any one of you guys would do this for your friends.

T-Mick
2014-05-18, 10:28 PM
Well, there are 1000 almost 2000 pages of members in the member list. If ten twenty people could check 100 pages each, which isn't THAT bad, in search of a "Triceratops Jedi", that'd be the best I could think of. Unless, of course, someone knows who he is already.

I'll take the first 100 pages.

Cloud Rat
2014-05-18, 10:33 PM
is this him?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?47564-LOTRfan

TheCryingApple
2014-05-18, 10:37 PM
Well, there are 1000 almost 2000 pages of members in the member list. If ten twenty people could check 100 pages each, which isn't THAT bad, in search of a "Triceratops Jedi", that'd be the best I could think of. Unless, of course, someone knows who he is already.

I'll take the first 100 pages.

where might i look through the members list?
it doesnt matter if it takes days, ill look through every member.

Rain Dragon
2014-05-18, 10:41 PM
where might i look through the members list?
it doesnt matter if it takes days, ill look through every member.

It is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/memberlist.php).

Good luck! I really hope you find him. I hope he's ok.

TheCryingApple
2014-05-18, 10:42 PM
is this him?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?47564-LOTRfan

YES
i confirmed it, he even posted pictures of himself.
by god, you found him. now we just need to stalk his profile.
has anyone talked to him recently? does anybody know anything?
please. we are begging.

Grinner
2014-05-18, 10:46 PM
YES
please. we are begging.

Judging from the profile, he hasn't logged in for about two weeks.

AtlanteanTroll
2014-05-18, 10:47 PM
Going to his profile page, it is pretty obvious he hasn't been on in about a week and a half.

Zevox
2014-05-18, 10:49 PM
YES
please. we are begging.
According to that profile, he was last logged on here on May 7th. Which is a week before you say he went missing. So it seems likely that this is a dead end for you, at least for now.

Best of luck, though. I don't think I've spoken with him much, but a situation like this is just awful to hear about, no matter who it is. :smallfrown:

Ravens_cry
2014-05-18, 10:56 PM
At least you can watch it for more recent activity. I offer you my best hopes in your search.

TheCryingApple
2014-05-18, 10:58 PM
he might be checking the forums without logging in.
also, is there any option to log in invisibly?
i mean, he might want to sever connection to things that would give him away, like logging into accounts.
i just hope he reads this thread and comes back to us.

T-Mick
2014-05-18, 11:01 PM
Well, that's pretty much the best we can do for now. I'll keep an eye of his activity, but otherwise, best of luck to you and yours. I'll pray for a good outcome.

Max™
2014-05-18, 11:02 PM
i mean, he might want to sever connection to things that would give him away, like logging into accounts.

General Settings > Login and Privacy > Invisible Mode.

Zevox
2014-05-18, 11:04 PM
There is, but I don't know if it would prevent his profile from recording the log-in time. The option in the settings section just says it prevents you from appearing in the "currently active users" list.

He would also need to have set it up in advance, since you need to be logged on to change that setting.

Rain Dragon
2014-05-18, 11:54 PM

My profile is permenantly set to invisible if you want an example, but it still shows last activity, etc.
All the invisibility does is not place you on the active members list.

Grinner
2014-05-19, 12:09 AM
I can say with confidence that his account isn't set to Invisible mode.

If you look at Rain Dragon's profile, you'll note that his Last Activity information isn't shown. While a user is invisible, the forum gives only that user access to his Last Activity info. Everyone else, forum member or not, gets only the Join Date.

TheCryingApple
2014-05-19, 02:17 PM
i apologize if this forum doesnt allow bumping threads, but if he checks this thread, it could make a difference, so i will bump periodically. just for a little while longer.

Solse
2014-05-19, 02:59 PM
I hope that you find your friend, and that he is okay. I especially hope that he sees this thread and is aware of how many people care about him.

Now that we've identified his profile, and that he is not in invisible mode, what should we do next?

Melayl
2014-05-19, 06:25 PM
I'll keep him in my thoughts & prayers and hope he returns soon.

TheCryingApple
2014-05-19, 07:18 PM
Alright, so I have some good news, even though its not much.
He is confirmed to be in philadelphia. Train personnel have seen him, and police have stated that he has logged into his facebook account in philadelphia.

Hes not home yet, but we can take some solace knowing that he is alive.
Thank you all for the support.

SiuiS
2014-05-19, 07:20 PM
Rock on. Alive and well is sometimes all we can hope for. I hope they enjoy their travels and find their way safely home, wherever home may be.

Melayl
2014-05-19, 08:12 PM
Excellent news. I hope he contacts you and his loved ones soon.

T-Mick
2014-05-19, 10:15 PM
Wonderful! Glad to see some progress! I hope and pray for further success.

Bulldog Psion
2014-05-20, 12:01 AM
Glad to hear he's probably alive. His last posts on here look to be casual and mildly upbeat, so it doesn't appear that he was under any stress at the time.

Solse
2014-05-20, 02:43 PM
Awesome! Thank goodness he is alive! The next step would be for you to get in direct contact with him, I suppose.

Asta Kask
2014-05-20, 02:46 PM
i apologize if this forum doesnt allow bumping threads, but if he checks this thread, it could make a difference, so i will bump periodically. just for a little while longer.

Ask the mods to make it a sticky.

TheCryingApple
2014-05-20, 04:08 PM
As far as I know, he has returned home.
Very little information is known at the moment.
Thank you all for your support. This is a great community that truly cares for its members.

Karoht
2014-05-20, 04:27 PM
Thank you all for your support. This is a great community that truly cares for its members.I sent him a PM saying that there are people out there who care and want to help. I'm glad he made it home.

And the door is open if he wants to talk about anything.

ShadowFireLance
2014-05-20, 04:36 PM
Oh man, I hope he's okay. Didn't know him personally, but I loved his Dinosaur thread. :smallfrown: You guys are in my prayers.

T-Mick
2014-05-20, 04:39 PM
Very good to hear. I hope there are no further problems. Keeping y'all in my prayers. :smallsmile:

Mrc.
2014-05-20, 04:46 PM
This is one thing that never ceases to amaze me: we're a collective bunch of pedantic geeks and nerds who bicker about the smallest things in a game where imaginary people fight imaginary dragons and on occasion blow stuff up for fun. But we look out for each other. I won't name other forums but there are many similar places where nobody would have cared either way. The fact that you guys offered this support is a genuinely heart-warming thing to see. I hope the situation is resolved and it's nice to see a missing person actually turn up in one piece. Congratulations guys, you've done good. :smallsmile:

OP: Just to reiterate how nice it is to see this resolved with a positive outcome. LOTRfan is lucky to have someone as supportive as you. Plus, that guy's got a quality avatar, "poorly drawn triceratops jedi" does it a disservice!

No brains
2014-05-20, 05:02 PM
Damn, things just don't work out for LOTRfan. Private problems derail his MM2 thread, he goes missing, and then people mock his avatar. I'd like to hear he is well after all this. I only just found this thread, but I sure was worried for a minute.

Solse
2014-05-20, 08:05 PM
Thank you all for your support. This is a great community that truly cares for its members.

Thank you for informing us that there was a problem in the first place! We're all happy to hear that your friend is back home, and we all hope that he feels better.

LOTRfan
2014-05-20, 11:29 PM
Ah, hello. I... I really don't know what to say about this. I'm glad you all cared enough about me to post. I really appreciate all the kind words. And yeah, personal problems do seem a bit rampant lately. I want you all to know that I am fine, and in fact came home a little while ago. I'm now in the process of taking down some of the posters that have been placed up in the neighborhood now, actually (neither of those pictures are very flattering in my opinion, anyway).

TheCryingApple, if you are who I think you are, we've already spoken and I hope you know that everything is okay. I'm really sorry I can't put a post explaining why I left, because I am almost definitely sure it would violate a forum rule (i.e. no discussion of religion). I want to thank the rest of you again, because this was definitely a reminder of the wonderful community that exists in this forum. I'm sorry to have caused such concern.

PallElendro
2014-05-20, 11:51 PM
I've seen and tracked this thread, but I didn't know what to say. At least, not until I saw LOTRfan's post.

Here, come in. Group e-hug.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-21, 12:00 AM
Well, we are nerds. And nerds care.:smallsmile:
Glad you are safe, and I hope dearly the situation that precipitated this crises is resolved very, very soon.

Bonecrusher Doc
2014-05-21, 12:48 AM
Glad you are OK, LOTRfan! I don't know anything about your situation, and I want to respect your privacy, but I just want to say that, as a fellow human being, I care about you, and I'm glad you are alive and well! Good luck with all the stuff you are dealing with. As Sam Gamgee says, "Where there's life there's hope," right?

Killer Angel
2014-05-26, 12:52 PM
I've seen and tracked this thread, but I didn't know what to say. At least, not until I saw LOTRfan's post.

Here, come in. Group e-hug.

Basically, it was the same for me. That post was really a relief. (hugs again) :smallsmile:

Cloud Rat
2014-05-26, 12:56 PM
*group hug*
I helped! :elan:

Kalmageddon
2014-05-26, 01:12 PM
Glad to hear you are ok! :smallsmile:

SiuiS
2014-05-26, 01:57 PM
Ah, hello. I... I really don't know what to say about this. I'm glad you all cared enough about me to post. I really appreciate all the kind words. And yeah, personal problems do seem a bit rampant lately. I want you all to know that I am fine, and in fact came home a little while ago. I'm now in the process of taking down some of the posters that have been placed up in the neighborhood now, actually (neither of those pictures are very flattering in my opinion, anyway).

TheCryingApple, if you are who I think you are, we've already spoken and I hope you know that everything is okay. I'm really sorry I can't put a post explaining why I left, because I am almost definitely sure it would violate a forum rule (i.e. no discussion of religion). I want to thank the rest of you again, because this was definitely a reminder of the wonderful community that exists in this forum. I'm sorry to have caused such concern.

Life can get overwhelming, aye. Try cultivating some online Friends to be your armchair therapy? It's helpful sometimes. Worked for me and I am an utter wreck of a human being!

Anyway... Glad you're doing well, and I'm glad you are in good enough health and spirits to have gone off in the first place. Hope you found what you were looking for. :smallsmile:

Solse
2014-05-26, 06:35 PM

Good to know that you're well! :smallsmile: We're all glad that everything's okay.