PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Master Thrower Sneaky Shot and Sleight of Hand as free action

Jowgen
2014-05-18, 11:28 PM
Master Throwers get a choice of several Weapon Throw Tricks, including the following:

Sneaky Shot: Just before making a ranged attack, a master thrower with this ability can use a move action to make a Sleight of Hand check opposed by her target's Spot check. If she wins the opposed check, her opponent is denied his Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against the attack.

(emphasis mine)

In the description of Sleight of Hand it states:

Any Sleight of Hand check normally is a standard action. However, you may perform a Sleight of Hand check as a free action by taking a –20 penalty on the check.

(I'm aware there is a discrepancy with the Rules Compendium on this, but City of Stormreach -a more recent book than the Rules Compendium- makes a specific reference to using Sleight of Hand as a free action)

The question: would it be possible to use the Sneaky Shot class feature while doing the required Sleight of Hand check as a free action, incurring a -20 penalty?

Darrin
2014-05-19, 06:19 AM
I would allow it, but only one check per attack. Otherwise you could keep rolling until you beat the Spot check.

Togo
2014-05-19, 07:34 AM
I don't see why not.

Diarmuid
2014-05-19, 10:55 AM
I probably would not allow it. The Sneaky Shot class ability is usable as a Move Action. The Sleight of Hand writeup talks about what it can do and its uses mentioning they are normally a standard action that can be made faster with a -20.

While a Standard Action generally encompasses more than a Move does (or at least the same amount), reducing the normal Standard to a Free is different than reducing a different Move to a Free.

It probably wouldnt break a game, but at higher levels where skill optimization is nothing this is a means to treat every attack as a sneak attack.

Togo
2014-05-19, 11:20 AM
Well... yes. Optimisation leads to optimised characters. If that's not where you want to end up, don't go there. :smallconfused: