PDA

View Full Version : Feats of Courage

Fade
2007-02-14, 06:21 PM
I was thinking a little recently, and came up with a few feats. If anyone could give some feedback to help balance these, or maybe improve them, that would be great. One of the huge issues I see is balance, I haven't actually tried situations using any of these yet.

Beyond Determined [General]
Your endurance combined with your forceful will enable you to keep going when others would stop
Prerequisites: Endurance, Iron Will, base Will save bonus +2
Benefits: You gain a pool of 1 courage point, which allows you to push yourself to your limit. When you would normally become exhausted, you can spend a courage point to stave off the exhaustion for an extra round. After this round, the exhaustion affects you normally. Courage points regenerate at a rate of 1 per day, and only when you get a full rest.
Special: A fighter can select this as one of their bonus feats.

Never Give Up [General]
You have a problem with surrendering.
Prerequisites: Beyond Determined, Endurance, Iron Will, Base Will save bonus +2.
Benefits: You gain an extra courage point. Whenever you would normally be knocked unconcious, whether through subdual damage or by dropping into negative hitpoints, you can spend half of a courage point to stay conscious and act as disabled for 1 round. If you are reduced to -10 hit points or less, you can spend a full courage point to continue acting as disabled for one round. If you run out of courage points and have -10 hit points or less, you die. Otherwise, you fall unconscious until your hitpoints increase to 0 or for 1d10 minutes, whichever is longer. If you have the Diehard feat, you can act as normal. If you have any half courage points left at the end af the day, they are lost.
Normal: When you drop to less than -1 hit points, you become unconscious. When you drop to -10 hitpoints or less, you die. If you have the Diehard feat, you act as if disabled through -1 to -9 hitpoints, and die at -10 hit points or less.
Special: A fighter can select this feat as one of their bonus feats.

Burst of Defiance [General]
When things get too hard to handle, you step up to the challenge.
Prerequisites: Beyond Determined, Endurance, Iron Will, Base Will save bonus +3
Benefits: You gain an extra courage point. When you choose, you can spend a courage point to gain +2d4 to Strength or Constitution for 1 round. After you stop spending courage points to keep your higher bonus, you are exhausted for 1 hour afterwards. If you have no courage points when you choose to end this effect, you are fatigued instead.
Special: A fighter can choose this feat as one of their bonus feats

Forceful Courage [General]
Your extraordinary determination can make you tougher than usual.
Prerequisites: Beyond Determined, Endurance, Iron Will, Base Will save +3
Benefits: You gain an extra courage point. When you are forced to take a fortitude save, you can spend a courage point to add your base Will save bonus to your save.
Special: A fighter can select this as one of their bonus feats.

I was thinking that if this gets implemented in a campaign that uses action points, that the action points could be used instead of giving a new pool of points.

Triaxx
2007-02-14, 07:28 PM
I love Burst of Defiance, and Forceful Courage.

My question, is why would I take Beyond Determined, or Never Give Up, instead of Diehard.

That said, I love the reference. 'Never Give Up, Never Surrender.'

Fade
2007-02-15, 01:05 PM
Since it has a greater list of requirements, there would really be no reason to take the Never Give Up feat, except that it allows you to keep living beyond -10 hit points. The other advantage of Never Give Up is that it allows you to stay conscious a few rounds after you take enough subdual damage to go down, subdual being something that Diehard doesn't cover. Ultimately, though, you would be better off taking both Diehard and Never Give Up, since that allows you a few extra full round actions instead of just partials. Or, if you want to add an extra courage point to your pool...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-15, 01:10 PM
I don't understand why Never Give Up does the whole thing with half points.

Fade
2007-02-15, 01:21 PM
Mainly because I felt it was underpowered. It would probably be better to make it 2 rounds per point, but I wasn't thinking about it that way at the time.