PDA

View Full Version : Monsters that look like... Things

Sliver
2014-05-19, 02:37 AM
Hello fellow playgrounders! We all know about the Mimic, but I recall reading about a monster that looks like a house, or deadly clothing...

Can anyone help me in my quest to find all the monsters that look like seemingly innocent scenery?

DragonSinged
2014-05-19, 02:42 AM
The Cloaker - MM1, p36 - is supposed to look like a long cloak hanging on the wall, until it attacks.

Edit: The Darkmantle, 2 pages later, looks like a stalactite.

HammeredWharf
2014-05-19, 02:47 AM
Raiment from Libris Mortis is the deadly clothing.

Inevitability
2014-05-19, 02:49 AM
Raggamofyn is also deadly clothing.

Yanisa
2014-05-19, 03:27 AM
This reminds me of the Stupid Monsters some was paid to make article (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm). After the mimic it lists a couple of other imitators, although most of them are from older editions.
Lurker Above - A creature that pretends to be a ceiling.
Trapper - A creature that pretends to be a floor.
Stunjelly - A ooze that pretends to be a wall.

There are lot more if you browse trough the page, but I suspect you are looking for stuff out the newer editions. I just like the idea of "the whole dungeon is made out monsters trying to eat me". :smalltongue:

JeminiZero
2014-05-19, 04:20 AM
And of course, you can always make Things into Monsters via Animated Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm) and maybe Awaken Construct (SpC) if you want sentient socks or something.

Inevitability
2014-05-19, 07:31 AM
I'm now picturing a sock that keeps shouting that it doesn't want to be put on some dwarf's stinking feet and it is GLORIOUS.

Thanks for making my day.

Necroticplague
2014-05-19, 08:18 AM
I forget what it's called, but there's also one that looks like a sword.

Sliver
2014-05-19, 08:19 AM
That would be the Xaver.

That article was top, thanks!

nedz
2014-05-19, 08:34 AM
Various living spells.

Also creatures which possess objects: Trap Haunt, FoP, ..., even incorporeal creatures which hide in the walls.

Did the Piercer make it into 3.5 ? This is basically a stalactite which drops on people.

John Longarrow
2014-05-19, 10:18 AM
AFB, but there is that column that turns into a golem with a bastard sword. Nasty because it also breaks your weapon..
Tropiary Guardian. Now just the dungeon, but now the LAWN is attacking you.
Stone Golem. If you have a good sculptor it looks just like a statue... until it beats you!

nedz
2014-05-19, 10:21 AM
AFB, but there is that column that turns into a golem with a bastard sword. Nasty because it also breaks your weapon..
Caryatid Column

Eldan
2014-05-19, 10:24 AM
And on the subject of statues, gargoyles, of course.

sakuuya
2014-05-19, 10:30 AM
That article also mentions the Wolf-in-sheeps-clothing, the monster that looks like a stump with a rabbit on it. And also has giant stalk eyes. Y'know, like a tree stump does. Or...like a wolf does?

John Longarrow
2014-05-19, 11:09 AM
<== is now picturing Sliver putting all of these together to make a dungeon. Party comes through a nice garden, enters dungeon, and gets into a big fight.
<== One the way OUT the walls, ceiling, and floor all start trying to eat the party. Once they get out, a stranger standing there starts to attack while his cloths fly off to attack, and his cloak takes up a circling patern going for the weak link.
<== After getting past him, the GARDEN starts eating the party.

Kazudo
2014-05-19, 11:15 AM
Figure out a way to make a small Warforged, and they can Alter Self into an Animated Object anywhere between Tiny and Medium for 10 minutes per level.

Darrin
2014-05-19, 11:15 AM
Animated Object: tables, chairs, candelabra, etc.
Roper: supposed to look like a log.
Treant: looks like a tree.
Stained Glass Golem (MM2): looks like a stained glass window.
Glasspane Horror (Dragon Compendium): looks like a non-stained glass window.
Hoard Scarab (Draconomicon): looks like loot.
Topiary Guardian (MM3): looks like a shrubbery.
Ruin Elemental (MM5): looks like ruins.
Tunnel Terror (Fiend Folio): looks like a tunnel.

sakuuya
2014-05-19, 11:21 AM
<== is now picturing Sliver putting all of these together to make a dungeon. Party comes through a nice garden, enters dungeon, and gets into a big fight.
<== One the way OUT the walls, ceiling, and floor all start trying to eat the party. Once they get out, a stranger standing there starts to attack while his cloths fly off to attack, and his cloak takes up a circling patern going for the weak link.
<== After getting past him, the GARDEN starts eating the party.

If the party somehow forces the naked man back into his flying clothes, do they win that fight? Because now that I'm aware of the possibilities, a puzzle monster that can only be defeated by making it put on pants sounds like the best possible encounter design.

manyslayer
2014-05-19, 11:41 AM
Roper: supposed to look like a log.
I thought they were supposed to look like a stalagmite.

Did the Piercer make it into 3.5 ? This is basically a stalactite which drops on people.
It is in a third party source (Tome of Horrors, where most 1st and 2nd edition monsters WotC never updated can be found) but nothing by WotC that I know of. And nothing about horizontally jet propelled piercers, either.

The gas spore looks like a beholder (from Lords of Madness).

2nd edition had the lock lurker. A little scorpion like thing that looked like a coin.

The old (2nd edition) water weird looked like regular water until it rose up to strike.

The Viscount
2014-05-19, 11:45 AM
Raggamofyn is also deadly clothing.

Don't forget the guttersnipe and tatterdemalion tatterdemanimal (really?).

John Longarrow
2014-05-19, 12:14 PM
If the party somehow forces the naked man back into his flying clothes, do they win that fight? Because now that I'm aware of the possibilities, a puzzle monster that can only be defeated by making it put on pants sounds like the best possible encounter design.

Easy way to do it. Send it on a coyote date.
Goes to bed with a Fox.
Wakes up with a DOG.

Poor monster will get burns on its legs putting pants on that quick!

VariSami
2014-05-19, 01:19 PM
This thread has inspired me to at some point include a sentient garden in my game. Each tree within it is awakened. All the other elements might be awakened animated objects. And so on. Topiary Guardians might be too obvious but at least there are Caryatid Columns.

Kazudo
2014-05-19, 01:28 PM
I can see it now. A castle made entirely of various sized Warforged Mountebanks with Abjurant Jaunt. They turn into stone blocks and build a castle, then when the adventurers are safely inside beating the boss of the place, every item in the entire building suddenly moves in a randomly assigned direction ten feet.

Hilarity ensues.

Darrin
2014-05-19, 01:43 PM
Figure out a way to make a small Warforged, and they can Alter Self into an Animated Object anywhere between Tiny and Medium for 10 minutes per level.

Warforged Scout + Tattooed Monk + Chameleon Tattoo. Or use the Fleshshifter Armor (13160 GP, BoVD) for alter self at will.

Kazudo
2014-05-19, 02:16 PM
Well, that's it. You all have done it now. I'm now having to actually write a campaign that involves this concept now. I hadn't even asked for it.

Thanks, playground! (really.)

ShurikVch
2014-05-19, 02:49 PM
Living Wall (undead template, Dragon #343)

Feeder (Dragonlance)
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/outsider_fools_18.jpg

holywhippet
2014-05-19, 06:27 PM
Ah, D&D. One of the few products in the world that was clearly aided with copious amounts of lysergic acid diethylamide. It clearly reflects the attitude of many DMs that adventurers are meant to die often. It's a wonder more players don't have naked monks as characters to avoid wearing or using anything that might try to eat them.

The Viscount
2014-05-20, 10:48 AM
I can see it now. A castle made entirely of various sized Warforged Mountebanks with Abjurant Jaunt. They turn into stone blocks and build a castle, then when the adventurers are safely inside beating the boss of the place, every item in the entire building suddenly moves in a randomly assigned direction ten feet.

Hilarity ensues.

So Cube: the campaign? That sounds great, as long as you don't make it Cube 2: Hypercube.

Kazudo
2014-05-20, 10:50 AM
So Cube: the campaign? That sounds great, as long as you don't make it Cube 2: Hypercube.

I have actually begun writing it and plan to begin implementing it with my group.

Cube 2 would probably involve planar travel. A lot of it. By the stones.

John Longarrow
2014-05-20, 11:11 AM
Are you remembering to include Gelatnous Cubes for windows?

Kazudo
2014-05-20, 11:16 AM
I was actually going to have some of the warforged just alter self into, yaknow, a giant window. Though it'll probably give away the true nature of the thing if someone throws a rock at it and it yells "ow!" and bounces off due to the warforged's DR.

unseenmage
2014-05-20, 12:45 PM
The Gold Golem (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030901a)is always good for a laugh.

Beat the dragon, defeat it's traps and lo! The Hoard awaits! Except it's enchanted to also try and kill you.

nedz
2014-05-20, 02:40 PM
Are you remembering to include Gelatnous Cubes for windows?

Stained Glass Golems are more decorative.

John Longarrow
2014-05-20, 02:43 PM
Stained Glass Golems are more decorative.

True, but they lack the humor value of someone walking into the "Bay window" and getting digested.... :xykon:

The_Ditto
2014-05-20, 03:06 PM

I recall the old module "Castle Greyhawk", and 1 level had "Horizontally Jet-Propelled Piercers" :smalleek:

afroakuma
2014-05-20, 03:37 PM
Okay, here goes.

You enter a room. The door, made of wood, is a mimic. It tries to kill you.
The floor is a trapper. It tries to kill you.
The stalagmites above are piercers. They fall down and try to kill you.
Then the ceiling takes a shot at you, since it's a lurker above. It tries to kill you.
You put your back to the wall for support, but that's a stunjelly. It tries to kill you.
The treasure chest off to the side contains several objects, but it's a mimic as well. It tries to kill you.
Inside was a sword, which is a xaver. It tries to kill you.
A cloak, which is of course a cloaker, you moron. It tries to kill you.
A suspicious-looking hood, which is an executioner's hood. It tries to kill you.
A purse, which is actually a peltast. It tries to kill you.
In desperation you reach for a magical scroll, which is actually a palimpsest. It tries to kill you.
Exhausted, you sit on a chair at a table. I won't even need to tell you what those are. They try to kill you.
You change into a new set of clothes. They are actually a raiment. It tries to kill you.
That actually came as a relief; you expected a raggamoffyn, which would have tried to possess you.
Nude and disarmed and tired, you fall onto a bed. It is actually a killer pillow. It tries to kill you.
The cushion for your head is a cushion fungus. It tries to kill you.
The flannel bedding is a flannel beast. It tries to kill you.
The bedsheet is a sheet phantom. It tries to kill you.
Looking for any sort of emotional support, you find a small doll in the dust. The dust is actually a trosip. It tries to kill you.
The doll is of course a doll golem because why wouldn't it be? It tries to kill you.
Now thoroughly annoyed, you try the other door to leave the room. You have a key, you're invincible, only what's that? It's a lock. Which is a lock lurker. It tries to kill you.
Outside, you are in a cavern tunnel. The floor shifts, revealing itself as a denzelian. It tries to kill you.
You climp up on some rocks, which are actually galeb duhr. They try to kill you.
Maybe that boulder? Well no, that's a bowler. It tries to kill you.
At long last, some refreshing water. Or it would be, if it weren't an aballin. It tries to kill you.
Finally, you get outside. You're done with that place. You walk through the woods, and a tree takes a swing at you, since it's a treant and you're trespassing. It tries to kill you.
You see a bunny on a stump and decide to sit down, only to learn the hard way that it's actually a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing. It tries to kill you.
Finally, you make it to a village, admiring the topiary. Topiary guardians, surprise surprise. They try to kill you.
Frustrated, tired, world-weary, you see the tavern. You open the door to stumble in...
...and that's a house hunter mimic. The whole building is. It tries to kill you.

(I threw one golem in there to illustrate the concept; obviously I could have added a lot more.)

Kazudo
2014-05-20, 03:43 PM
I cried a little. Good on you, Afroakuma. Good on you.

Now if you don't mind, I'll be looking up every one of those monsters to do that exact thing as a roguelike.