PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Some Questions About Inflict Spells

Valtolimor
2014-05-19, 02:41 AM
So I'm thinking about creating a cleric for a friend's campaign, just because I've never played a cleric before. As I'm looking at the spell list I notice a few things about Inflict Light Wounds(and other Inflict spells). Unlike other touch spells I've seen, it makes no mention of an actual touch attack, and it allows a Will save for half damage. Being relatively inexperienced in d&d and unable to find definitive answers in my book-searching, I've decided to turn here for help.

Do you have to succeed on a melee touch attack roll to hit an unwilling target with this spell?
Can you add sneak attack damage to this damage? (provided the target is denied dex to ac)
If you can add sneak attack damage, is the sneak attack damage also halved by a successful Will save?

Techwarrior
2014-05-19, 02:55 AM
Yes, it requires a melee Touch attack versus an unwilling target.

Range: Touch

From Complete Arcane, we get the clarification that this also allows Sneak Attack to be dealt alongside it, paraphrased as 'the same energy type, or negative energy if the spell dealt ability damage or negative levels.'

On the subject of a Save halving Sneak Attack, Complete Arcane doesn't say anything, so it probably does get halved on a successful save. Ask your DM.

Valtolimor
2014-05-19, 03:02 AM
Thank you for the prompt reply. :)
I suppose that makes it a really weak spell... any suggestions on good touch attacks to combine with sneak attack? Divine or arcane, I'm intrigued by the concept of sneak attacking with spells.

TuggyNE
2014-05-19, 04:00 AM
I suppose that makes it a really weak spell...

It's basically just CLW for undead. Still lame, but that's its niche.

any suggestions on good touch attacks to combine with sneak attack? Divine or arcane, I'm intrigued by the concept of sneak attacking with spells.

Scorching ray, if you can make sure to fire it off as a full-round action through e.g. Sorcerer metamagic application, will give you up to triple sneak attack in fire damage.