PDA

View Full Version : Anticipate Teleportation- How does work exactly?

Tryranus_Magus
2007-02-14, 06:44 PM
So when Anticipate Teleportation says it delays the arrical of the teleporting creature by 1 (3 in the case of Greater AT), but the teleporting creature does not perceive this delay... How exactly is that working?

So the monk uses DD to step into the mage from across the room. But the mage has Greater AT active. Where and when is the monk during these 3 rounds?

Additionally, a 15th level caster would have an warded area with a 75ft. radius. If the monk walks in the room and is less than 75 ft. away, when he DD's across the room to the mage, does this have any impact from the GAT spell?

NullAshton
2007-02-14, 06:47 PM
So when Anticipate Teleportation says it delays the arrical of the teleporting creature by 1 (3 in the case of Greater AT), but the teleporting creature does not perceive this delay... How exactly is that working?

So the monk uses DD to step into the mage from across the room. But the mage has Greater AT active. Where and when is the monk during these 3 rounds?

Additionally, a 15th level caster would have an warded area with a 75ft. radius. If the monk walks in the room and is less than 75 ft. away, when he DD's across the room to the mage, does this have any impact from the GAT spell?

For the first question... they just hang out in the astral plane, I believe.

Geeky metaphor time! It's like on star trek, when someones teleporting, but their pattern gets held in the pattern buffer for a while.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-14, 06:47 PM
The spell doesn't specify, so presumably the person teleporting in is frozen between the planes or something. How it works fluff-wise is mostly irrelevant.

The spell affects creatures teleporting into the area covered by the spell, not creatures teleporting out of it. What matters is where they arrive, which is 1 or 3 rounds after they should (although they won't realize extra time has passed, just see that stuff has moved).

Tryranus_Magus
2007-02-14, 07:00 PM
WOW!

So you're saying that the monk is not in the fight for 3 ROUNDS!?! That's HUGE!

Not that I'm questioning in disbelief, but I want to be totally sure this is true so when the player hits the roof I don't have egg on my face.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-14, 07:13 PM
Yeah, that's how it works. It's a spell that comes in handy only occasionally, but really handy when it does. It lasts all day, so that makes it definitely worth a daily spell slot, IMO.
Don't forget the 1000? 1500? gp focus required to cast it.

The best wizards take advantage of the spell by combining Baleful Transposition or Translocation Trick with this spell--instead of just making a party member (or) and an opponent, or two opponents, switch places, one can make an enemy or two go *poof* for three rounds.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-14, 07:15 PM
If you're really lucky, you've got one going, and your opponent casts regroup. Now everyone but the caster is deposed for three rounds. Woot.

ShadowYRM
2007-02-18, 11:22 PM
Lol.

I'm the player in question.

I didn't rest, so I couldn't D-Door in... I only get to use the ability once a day, and when I've used it, I've made it count, as it should be.

That was a tough session, as a finale should be. Probably the best session you've ever run.

I didn't care that my normally effective PC was less effective in the main fight, that rocked.

By the way, I wouldn't have hit-the-roof... I expected a CR 21 end-campaign boss who'd been scrying us and getting reports on us for levels to "metagame" with her knowledge and godly intellect.

Great work.

A lot of people would count themselves lucky to have a DM nearly as good.

I've never been part of such an epic session as a player, and I'm proud to have survived it and contributed.

Thanks for not cheating us as DM and for doing things by the book.

Ramza00
2007-02-19, 12:46 AM
The best wizards take advantage of the spell by combining Baleful Transposition or Translocation Trick with this spell--instead of just making a party member (or) and an opponent, or two opponents, switch places, one can make an enemy or two go *poof* for three rounds.

Damn I never thought of that

Rigeld2
2007-02-19, 07:07 AM
Thanks for not cheating us as DM and for doing things by the book.
So youre suggesting that some of the suggestions here "cheating"?

Mewtarthio
2007-02-19, 04:16 PM
So youre suggesting that some of the suggestions here "cheating"?

I believe he's referring to the fact that the enemy (presumably) wasted a spell slot on Anticipate Teleport, since he couldn't have possibly known that the monk in question had already expended his abundant step, rather than metagaming and preparing something more useful in that slot.

Rigeld2
2007-02-19, 07:05 PM
but if hes being scryed on repeadedly, wouldnt it be safe to assume that the Wizard could have seen him blow it that day? I would say so. Or at least give him a chance to have.

Dark
2007-02-19, 08:29 PM
but if hes being scryed on repeadedly, wouldnt it be safe to assume that the Wizard could have seen him blow it that day? I would say so. Or at least give him a chance to have.
And then what? He's already filled that spell slot :)

Thomas
2007-02-19, 09:06 PM

Only if the wizard is maintaining 24-hour scrying surveillance. The spell has a duration of 1 min/level... you do the math.

Collin152
2007-02-19, 09:33 PM
What about Greater Scrying?

Rigeld2
2007-02-19, 09:33 PM
Hence... chance. I didnt say it was guaranteed.

And Dark, it would be before he memmed spells, or before filling that last 6th level slot anyway.