PDA

View Full Version : Help with Druid [Only 3.5]

Garou666
2014-05-19, 07:09 AM
Hi friends :smallsmile:

i need a little help with my druid, he was 3rd lvl and i need help to get strong!

In general:

Feats..magics..And tactics.

I just can use 3.5 material.

shadowseve
2014-05-19, 07:21 AM
Hi friends :smallsmile:

i need a little help with my druid, he was 3rd lvl and i need help to get strong!

In general:

Feats..magics..And tactics.

I just can use 3.5 material.

Druids are really good at everything

They are excellent at battlefield control, great at being beat sticks, and great casting.

Some useful feats are

greenbound summoning. It's over powered at lower levels and great through out the game.

Natural bond is great

natural spell is a must. It lets you cast in wild shape.

dragon wild shape is great.

initiate of nature is worth taking a look at.

ashbound feat is a great summoning feat.

versatile spellcaster is another great feat.

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=940.0

this is a decent place to start.

I typically like to start a fight pre-buffed with the spells that last hours or min/level

I'll usually cast a summon natures ally who will then entangle and place walls of thorns around some enemies for crowd control.

Some great crowd control spells are blinding spittle and kelpstrand.

the bite spell line is good especially bite of the wererat when your in any flight form.

Edit:

Druid is such a versatile class that as long as you put a little research into it you'll do fine. Trust me there is a reason it's a tier 1 class. My party consists of a wizard, cleric, crusader, and myself. So far I outshine them all pretty well.

Though I've had a lot of help from eggynack and the forums.

nedz
2014-05-19, 07:22 AM
This Druid Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=940) should answer most of your needs, if not there's eggyneck.

Garou666
2014-05-19, 09:01 AM
Druids are really good at everything

They are excellent at battlefield control, great at being beat sticks, and great casting.

Some useful feats are

greenbound summoning. It's over powered at lower levels and great through out the game.

Natural bond is great

natural spell is a must. It lets you cast in wild shape.

dragon wild shape is great.

initiate of nature is worth taking a look at.

ashbound feat is a great summoning feat.

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=940.0

this is a decent place to start.

I typically like to start a fight pre-buffed with the spells that last hours or min/level

I'll usually cast a summon natures ally who will then entangle and place walls of thorns around some enemies for crowd control.

Some great crowd control spells are blinding spittle and kelpstrand.

the bite spell line is good especially bite of the wererat when your in any flight form.

Edit:

Druid is such a versatile class that as long as you put a little research into it you'll do fine. Trust me there is a reason it's a tier 1 class. My party consists of a wizard, cleric, crusader, and myself. So far I outshine them all pretty well.

Though I've had a lot of help from eggynack and the forums.

Ty dude, but we have problems.

First: i just can use 3.5 edition, and no scenary, Like eberron of forgotten, in base i can use draconomicon,Complete divine complete warrior, completer adventurer right? i can use some heroes to, like heroes of horror.

two: i need help with magics, i want to give damage and some ''curses'' like, Stun... i need a efficient tier 1 :v

three: many of talents are from forbidden books :( :smallconfused:

shadowseve
2014-05-19, 09:11 AM
Here are some spell that I've found very usefull.

LV 1

Produce Flame (Players Handbook 265, see also hold touch pg 141) – (No save Throw, Range touch 120ft, Spell Resistance: Yes) 1d6 damage +1/level (max 5), touch or thrown, loses one min duration on each successful attack.

Entangle (Players Handbook 227) - Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level, Area: 40-ft.-radius spread, Duration: 1 min./level, Saving Throw: Reflex partial,) - Plants entangle everyone in 40-ft.-radius circle The creature can break free and move half its normal speed by using a full-round action to make a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 20 Escape Artist check. A creature that succeeds on a Reflex save is not entangled but can still move at only half speed through the area.

Spider Hand (Book of Vile Darkness pg 104 (not an evil spell)) – (Duration: Concentration (up to 1
minute/level, ) - The caster detaches his hand, which transforms into a Small Monstrous Spider (see the Monster Manua 288) that he controls. The caster can see through its eyes, and it can travel up to 20 feet per level away from him. If the spider is killed or prevented from returning to the caster, his hand is restored when the spell ends, but he takes 1d6 points of damage. If the caster directs the spider to return to his arm (a move equivalent action), then lets the spell end, he takes no damage.

Wall Of Smoke (Spell Compendium, 236)
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels) Effect: A straight wall whose area is up to one 10-ft. square/level (S)
Duration: 1 round/level (Saving Throw: Fortitude partial;see text)
This spell creates a thin wall of black smoke. The wall is stationary once created. The wall blocks sight to a limited degree. Creatures on opposite sides of the wall that cannot see over it gain concealment from each other. A creature can pass through a wall of smoke, but it must make a Fortitude save to avoid being nauseated for 1 round. A moderate wind (11+ mph), such as from a gust of wind spell, destroys the wall in 1 round.This spell does not function underwater

LV 2

Luminous Armor (Book of Exalted Deeds 102) (Duration: 1 hour/level)
This spell, favored among eladrins visiting the Material Plane, envelops the target in a protective, shimmering aura of light. The luminous armor resembles a suit of dazzling full plate, but it is weightless and does not restrict the target’s movement or mobility in any way. In addition to imparting the benefits of a breastplate (+5 armor bonus to AC), the luminous armor has no maximum Dexterity restriction, no armor check penalty, and no chance for arcane spell failure. Luminous armor sheds light equivalent to a daylight spell and counters darkness spells of 2nd level or lower with which it comes into contact. In addition, the armor’s brightness causes opponents to take a –4 to penalty on melee attacks made against the target. This penalty stacks with the attack penalty suffered by creatures sensitive to bright light (such as dark elves). (Sacrifice: 1d2 points of Strength damage.

Kelpstrand (Spell Compendium, 129)
Casting Time: (1 standard action) (Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One creature/3 levels, no two of which are more than 30 ft. apart (Duration: 1 round/level)
Make a ranged touch attack at each target. If you hit a creature, you immediately make an opposed grapple check against the creature as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity. You add your caster level and your Wisdom bonus to the result of your grapple check rather than your Strength bonus and size bonus. If you succeed, the target becomes entangled in the thick strands of kelp and is grappled. Each round, the target can attempt to escape the kelpstrand by making a successful grapple or Escape
Artist check against the kelpstrand’s grapple check. You are not considered grappling yourself while using this spell. Once you shoot your strands of kelp, you need not take any action to maintain the effect. A creature targeted with multiple kelpstrands has to make separate grapple or Escape Artist checks against each kelpstrand currently grappling it to escape. If you cast this spell while you are within 300 feet of the ocean shore, you gain a +4 bonus on any grapple checks made to determine the outcome of a kelpstrand grapple.

Snake’s Swiftness, Mass x1 (Spell Compendium, 194)
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level) (Targets: Allied creatures in a 20-ft.-radius burst)
The subject can immediately make one melee or ranged attack. Taking this action doesn’t affect the subject’s normal place in the initiative order. This is a single attack and follows the standard rules for attacking. This spell does not allow the subject to make more than one additional attack in a round. If the subject has already made an additional attack, due to a prior casting of this spell, from the haste spell, or from any other source, this spell fails.

Blinding spittle (Spell Compendium, p. 33)
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
You spit caustic saliva into your target's eyes with a successful ranged touch attack. A —4 penalty applies to the attack roll. The subject is blinded ( 50% change to miss all attacks) until it can wash its eyes with water or some other rinsing fluid, which requires a standard action. This spell has no effect on creatures without eyes or creatures that don't depend on eyes for vision.

Bite of the Wererat (Spell Compendium, p. 28)
Duration: 1 round/level
You gain a +6 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, a +2 enhancement bonus to Constitution, and a +3 enhancement bonus to natural armor. Your face lengthens into a ratlike snout, and you gain a bite attack that deals 1d4 points of damage (or 1d3 points if you are Small) + 1-1/2 times your Str modifier. You also gain the benefit of the Weapon Finesse feat. If your base attack bonus is +6 or higher, you do not gain any additional attacks.

Splinterbolt (Spell Compendium, p. 203)
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
You must make a ranged attack to hit the target. If you hit, the splinterbolt deals 4d6 points of piercing damage. A splinterbolt threatens a critical hit on a roll of 18-20. You can fire one additional splinterbolt for every four levels beyond 3rd (to a maximum of three at 11th level). You can fire these splinterbolts at the same or different targets, but all splinterbolts must be aimed at targets within 30 feet of each other and fired simultaneously. A creature's damage reduction, if any, applies to the damage from this spell. The damage from splinterbolt is treated as magic and piercing for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

LV 3

Girallon’s Blessing (Spell Compendium, p. 106) (Duration: 10 minute/level)
You give the subject an additional pair of arms. Each of its arms—new and old—ends in a clawed hand with fingers and an opposable thumb. The creature’s original arms (if any) are its primary arms, and new limbs are secondary limbs (if the subject had no arms, the arms created by the spell are its primary arms).
The creature gains four claw attacks, each using its base attack bonus +its Str modifier for attack rolls. Each claw deals 1d4 points of damage + the subject’s Str modifier, and if an opponent
is struck by two or more claws in 1 round, the subject can rend it for an additional 2d4 points of damage + 1-1/2 times its Str modifier.

Stone Shape (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 284)
Target: Stone or stone object touched, up to 10 cu. ft. + 1 cu. ft./level
You can form an existing piece of stone into any shape that suits your purpose. For example, you can make a stone weapon, a special trapdoor, or a crude idol. Stone shape also permits you to reshape a stone door to make an exit where one didn't exist or to seal a door shut. While it's possible to make crude coffers, doors, and so forth with stone shape, fine detail isn't possible. There is a 30% chance that any shape including moving parts simply doesn't work.

Wind Wall- (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 302)
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level) Effect: Wall up to 10 ft./level long and 5 ft./level high (S) Duration: 1 round/level
An invisible vertical curtain of wind appears. It is 2 feet thick and of considerable strength. It is a roaring blast sufficient to blow away any bird smaller than an eagle, or tear papers and similar materials from unsuspecting hands. (A Reflex save allows a creature to maintain its grasp on an object). Tiny and Small flying creatures cannot pass through the barrier. Loose materials and cloth garments fly upward when caught in a wind wall. Arrows and bolts are deflected upward and miss, while any other normal ranged weapon passing through the wall has a 30% miss chance. (A giant-thrown boulder, a siege engine projectile, and other massive ranged weapons are not affected). Gases, most gaseous breath weapons, and creatures in gaseous form cannot pass through the wall (although it is no barrier to incorporeal creatures). While the wall must be vertical, you can shape it in any continuous path along the ground that you like. It is possible to create cylindrical or square wind walls to enclose specific points. A 5th-level caster can create a wall up to 50 feet long and up to 25 feet high, sufficient to form a cylinder of wind 15 feet in diameter.

Call Lightning (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 207) Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level) Effect: One or more 30-ft.-long vertical lines of lightning Duration: 1 min./level Saving Throw: Reflex half Spell Resistance: Yes
Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may call down a 5-foot-wide, 30-foot-long, vertical bolt of lightning that deals 3d6 points of electricity damage. The bolt of lightning flashes down in a vertical stroke at whatever target point you choose within the spell's range (measured from your position at the time). Any creature in the target square or in the path of the bolt is affected. You need not call a bolt of lightning immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to call a bolt. You may call a total number of bolts equal to your caster level (maximum 10 bolts).If you are outdoors and in a stormy area—a rain shower, clouds and wind, hot and cloudy conditions, or even a tornado (including a whirlwind formed by a djinni or an air elemental of at least Large size; see the Monster Manual)—each bolt deals 3d10 points of electricity damage instead of 3d6.

Wind Wall- (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 302)
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level) Effect: Wall up to 10 ft./level long and 5 ft./level high (S) Duration: 1 round/level
An invisible vertical curtain of wind appears. It is 2 feet thick and of considerable strength. It is a roaring blast sufficient to blow away any bird smaller than an eagle, or tear papers and similar materials from unsuspecting hands. (A Reflex save allows a creature to maintain its grasp on an object). Tiny and Small flying creatures cannot pass through the barrier. Loose materials and cloth garments fly upward when caught in a wind wall. Arrows and bolts are deflected upward and miss, while any other normal ranged weapon passing through the wall has a 30% miss chance. (A giant-thrown boulder, a siege engine projectile, and other massive ranged weapons are not affected). Gases, most gaseous breath weapons, and creatures in gaseous form cannot pass through the wall (although it is no barrier to incorporeal creatures). While the wall must be vertical, you can shape it in any continuous path along the ground that you like. It is possible to create cylindrical or square wind walls to enclose specific points. A 5th-level caster can create a wall up to 50 feet long and up to 25 feet high, sufficient to form a cylinder of wind 15 feet in diameter.

LV 4

Boreal Wind (Frostburn 89)
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level) Duration: 1 round + 1 round/2 levels Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
You create a strong blast of arctic air that originates from your fingertips and moves in the direction you are facing. As a stronger form of gust of wind, this boreal wind automatically extinguishes candles, torches, and similar protected or unprotected flames, including lanterns. Large fires (such as bonfires, a blacksmith’s coals, or even a house fire) have a 50% chance to be extinguished by the boreal wind. Forest or grassland fires are too large to be extinguished by this spell. All creatures caught in the area take
1d4 points of cold damage per caster level (maximum 15d4). A successful Fortitude saving throw negates the gust’s effects. Those that fail the save are pushed away from the caster a distance of 3 feet per caster level. Creatures that remain in the area past the first round must make an additional saving throw each round. A boreal wind can do anything a sudden blast of wind would be expected to do. It can create a stinging spray of sand or dust, overturn tents and blow down small huts, scuttle a small boat, and blow gases or vapors to the edge of the range. The wind can change direction if you actively direct it (a move action for you); otherwise, it merely blows in the same direction.

Flame Strike (Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 231)
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level) Saving Throw: Reflex half
A flame strike produces a vertical column of divine fire roaring downward. The spell deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d6). Half the damage is fire damage, but the other half results directly from divine power and is therefore not subject to being reduced by resistance to fire-based attacks, such as that granted by protection from energy (fire), fire shield (chill shield), and similar magic.

These are just a few that might help you out. Of course you can't take all of these yet, but with me at level 7 these have really been a great help.

hope this helps.

shadowseve
2014-05-19, 09:14 AM

First: i just can use 3.5 edition, and no scenary, Like eberron of forgotten, in base i can use draconomicon,Complete divine complete warrior, completer adventurer right? i can use some heroes to, like heroes of horror.

two: i need help with magics, i want to give damage and some ''curses'' like, Stun... i need a efficient tier 1 :v

Most of the spells I've listed are from the spell compendium and various 3.5. Ignore spider hand then since I think it's 3.0 from Book of vile Darkness.

Eggyknack may be of better use with feats then. I'm sure he'll pop in at some point.

Are you allowed spell compendium?

ALso ignore the frostburn spell then.

You definitely want to take natural spell

( Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 98)

You can cast spells while in a wild shape.
Prerequisite

WIS 13, wild shape ability,
Benefit

You can complete the verbal and somatic components of spells while in a wild shape. For example, while in the form of a hawk, you could substitute screeches and gestures with your talons for the normal verbal and somatic components of a spell. You can also use any material components or focuses you possess, even if such items are melded within your current form. This feat does not permit the use of magic items while you are in a form that could not ordinarily use them, and you do not gain the ability to speak while in a wild shape.

Natural Bond
( Complete Adventurer, p. 111)
[General]
Your bond with your animal companion is exceptionally strong.
Prerequisite
Animal companion,
Benefit
Add three to your effective druid level for the purpose of determining the bonus Hit Dice, extra tricks, special abilities, and other bonuses that your animal companion receives (see page 36 of the Player's Handbook). This bonus can never make your effective druid level exceed your character level. If a character has multiple animal companions, the bonus granted by this feat applies to one of them.

dragon wild shape

Dragon Wild Shape
( Draconomicon, p. 105)

[General]

You can take the form of a dragon.
Prerequisite Knowledge (nature) 15 ranks, WIS 19, wild shape ability,
Benefit
You can use your wild shape ability to change into a Small or Medium dragon. You gain all the extraordinary and supernatural abilities of the dragon whose form you take, but not any spell-like abilities or spellcasting powers.

The shadow dragon is very nice.

Augment Summoning
( Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 89)

[General]
Your summoned creatures are more powerful than normal.
Prerequisite Spell Focus (PH) (conjuration) ,
Required for Beckon the Frozen (Fr) , Imbued Summoning (PH2) ,
Benefit Each creature you conjure with any summon spell gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Constitution for the duration of the spell that summoned it.

That is fantastic for summon builds.

I would present some of the feats that I've listed to the dm to see if he'll approve. They're fantastic.

I'm not sure if Draconomicon is core or not.

Like I said I'm sure Eggynack will pop in with more or better advice. He is kind of my mentor and could def help out. He usually pops in where ever there is a druid post.

caden_varn
2014-05-19, 09:23 AM
At third level you won't have wildshape, so your personal damage potential is a bit limited. Summons are a good way to go though - if you pick up the Augment Summoning feat they get a reasonable boost in power. Wolves for SNA1 get a free trip attack, at SNA2 black bears get decent combat, dire badgers can burrow, hippogriffs can fly etc. When you get up to SNA 3, dire wolves can be nasty. If you get out of Core you'll get some more options, don;t really know it meself though.

You aren't getting a whole lot of direct damage spells at your level in core. You can either burn spells for summons if you want to be dealing damage, buff (preferably before combat) - Bulls strength for example helps you hit and do damage. Remember you can share buffs with your AC so long as you stay together.
You also get a number of useful crowd-control, although mainly at higher levels in core - entangle, fog cloud etc. at your level.

Once you get wildshape you will have a whole lot more potential for damage if you can get a few decent forms (crocodile and leopard work well enough from core, but you get a lot more power from some non-core options.

shadowseve
2014-05-19, 09:28 AM
At third level you won't have wildshape, so your personal damage potential is a bit limited. Summons are a good way to go though - if you pick up the Augment Summoning feat they get a reasonable boost in power. Wolves for SNA1 get a free trip attack, at SNA2 black bears get decent combat, dire badgers can burrow, hippogriffs can fly etc. When you get up to SNA 3, dire wolves can be nasty. If you get out of Core you'll get some more options, don;t really know it meself though.

You aren't getting a whole lot of direct damage spells at your level in core. You can either burn spells for summons if you want to be dealing damage, buff (preferably before combat) - Bulls strength for example helps you hit and do damage. Remember you can share buffs with your AC so long as you stay together.
You also get a number of useful crowd-control, although mainly at higher levels in core - entangle, fog cloud etc. at your level.

Once you get wildshape you will have a whole lot more potential for damage if you can get a few decent forms (crocodile and leopard work well enough from core, but you get a lot more power from some non-core options.

I love my giant croc from SNA. Dire wolves are nasty too. BUt I'll second buffing before combat. You don't want to burn 4 rounds buffing. Bull strength is a decent spell from core.

eggynack
2014-05-19, 02:22 PM

I can't really tell what your book list is here. Is it just no setting specific stuff, or is it all of the completes, the draconomicon, and both heroes of horror and heroes of battle, or is it just literally the set of books you have there, or what? I mean, with your book list/level, you can at least pick up natural bond at third in preparation for fourth. It's a pretty standard maneuver, even if it doesn't do anything until you actually do hit fourth. As is, I can't even tell if you have the spell compendium. If you do, then perhaps you should consider frost breath (SpC, 100). It makes for a pretty good compromise between stunning someone and dealing damage to them, though it's not the best at either. If you don't have the spell compendium, then I think we return to the original point, where you need a more explicit book list.

Edit: Also, the general indication of your post is that you want damage and debuffs. The latter has a pretty stable definition, but for the former, are you seeking direct blasting damage, or buff based face punching damage?

Garou666
2014-05-20, 12:47 PM
I can't really tell what your book list is here. Is it just no setting specific stuff, or is it all of the completes, the draconomicon, and both heroes of horror and heroes of battle, or is it just literally the set of books you have there, or what? I mean, with your book list/level, you can at least pick up natural bond at third in preparation for fourth. It's a pretty standard maneuver, even if it doesn't do anything until you actually do hit fourth. As is, I can't even tell if you have the spell compendium. If you do, then perhaps you should consider frost breath (SpC, 100). It makes for a pretty good compromise between stunning someone and dealing damage to them, though it's not the best at either. If you don't have the spell compendium, then I think we return to the original point, where you need a more explicit book list.

Edit: Also, the general indication of your post is that you want damage and debuffs. The latter has a pretty stable definition, but for the former, are you seeking direct blasting damage, or buff based face punching damage?

Hi sir, i wanting the two options, because i want to choose the best to the campaign. if u please =p

eggynack
2014-05-20, 03:16 PM
Hi sir, i wanting the two options, because i want to choose the best to the campaign. if u please =p
The direct damage versus buffing options? The former would mostly be about summoning high powered creatures, sending out your beefy animal companion, maybe occasionally running in wild shape'd, and topping it off with buffs ranging from mass snake's swiftness (SpC, 193) to animal growth. For direct damage, you'd mostly just be casting direct damage spells. At your level range, that's mostly stuff like the already mentioned splinterbolt and produce flame, though if you're a follower of lurue, you could always toss in an alicorn lance from hereabouts (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020719a). Later on, you'd presumably advance towards stuff like call lightning or boreal wind (Frost, 89).

Really, direct spell damage is more of a secondary plan, meant to back up whatever else you're doing. However, as above, if you want the best list of options for anything, you're going to need a more explicit book list. I don't even know if you have the spell compendium, and that's a massive determinant of list. I could also always send you the handbook I've been working on, if you'd like, which would allow you to check all of the spells on the massive spell list against your book list personally, though that could prove somewhat onerous.

Garou666
2014-05-25, 04:37 PM
Ty for the help, here the books i can use

Complete mage
Complete warrior
Complete arcane
Complete aventurer

player book
master book
Monster manual
Player book 2

i can't use spell compendium...

I had a question, my animal companion, how i pick another? is the alternative list of player book ( p.36) is the only animals i can have? o.O

Gavinfoxx
2014-05-25, 05:25 PM
which monster manuals are in the game?

Please itemize exactly which.

And you can just release your animal companion, do a 24 hour ritual, and you have a new one -- just like it says in the player's handbook.

The strongest animal companion at level 3 is a riding dog trained for war, which you then put in barding.

cosmonuts
2014-05-25, 05:43 PM
How does all sourcebooks druid 20 do against wizard 20? The wizard should win handily, yes? Much better spell list.

shadowseve
2014-05-25, 06:03 PM

Complete mage
Complete warrior
Complete arcane
Complete aventurer

player book
master book
Monster manual
Player book 2

I had a question, my animal companion, how i pick another? is the alternative list of player book ( p.36) is the only animals i can have? o.O

The books that you have will really limit you one the spells you can take as a druid.

the creatures listed in the players handbook are not the only creatures you can have as an animal companion. It's simply a general listing of common animals that you can take.

I would strongly suggest looking here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1087841), and Here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0)

Also take Eggynack up on his offer for his handbook. All three sources have been invaluable for me in learning to play this awesome class. It will also give you a more comprehensive list of animals you can take.

Edit: since you can use complete adventure one feat you'll def want is natural bond. (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/natural-bond--2030/)

shadowseve
2014-05-25, 06:05 PM
How does all sourcebooks druid 20 do against wizard 20? The wizard should win handily, yes? Much better spell list.

I would disagree with this. Druids have some very nice spells but that's not the only thing in their arsenal. You've got to factor in SNA plus their wild shape forms. Druids can get some crazy crap that makes them borderline broke by themselves.

eggynack
2014-05-25, 06:26 PM

Complete mage
Complete warrior
Complete arcane
Complete aventurer

player book
master book
Monster manual
Player book 2

To start with, for the animal companions, you can find a list of just about every animal companion in the game on page 41 of the PHB II. At any point, you can release your animal companion, and perform a 24 hour ritual to acquire another, based on your druid level.

For feats, you can actually put together a reasonably good animal companion focused build with what you have. Complete adventurer has natural bond on page 111, which will really come into its own at level 4, and the PHB II has companion spellbond on page 77, which is just universally excellent. The pickings for the actual companion might be a bit slim, based on monster book access, but it could work out alright. You could also toss on augment summoning at some point, if you'd like, and complete mage has some reasonable reserve feats. They're not usually all that great, but they're likely better than what you're doing otherwise.

For spells, you're going to mostly want to stick to the PHB for firsts. Entangle is always fantastic, especially if you can attach some plants to your animal companion such that you can always cast the spell (disregard this if you're allowed to just toss the spell anywhere), and obscuring mist and produce flame are decent, if not great. For second level spells, your book access doesn't offer all that much. PHB options include soften earth and stone, and maybe summon swarm and gust of wind, and not-PHB options include heart of air (CM, 106) and linked perception (PHB II, 117). Things fortunately pick up again when you hit thirds though, because you get stuff like sleet storm and stone shape. Seconds just aren't all that great in mostly core.

As for the odd druid versus wizard at level 20 with all source books question, it's a tie. Huzzah for all. Shapechange triggers the singularity, granting everyone access to free, infinite, everything. Wizards have an edge, because druids get terrible 9th's (apart from shapechange), and the distance grows some when the book list, and with it, the monster list, shrinks. I like to think that everyone wins though. Just a happier overall outcome.