PDA

View Full Version : You can cast defensively so why can't you shoot defensively?

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-05-19, 07:28 AM
So in 3.P you can cast defensively so that you don't provoke an AoO when you cast a spell.

Is there any reason why this shouldn't apply to ranged attacks with a bow, crossbow, or throwing weapons?

How would one go about making a DC for this?

Kamin_Majere
2014-05-19, 07:35 AM
I usually just house rule that away (and give a bonus feat in its place with prestige classes that give it) because if you are willing to play an archer you deserve to actually be effective

But if you wanted to make it a check pick a decent skill like Spot (to see the incoming attack) or Tumble (to avoid the incoming attack) and match it up with the same rolls as concentration.
Like Spot/Tumble Check = 10 + 2x number of attacks attempted

Metahuman1
2014-05-19, 07:43 AM
Well, it would involve doing something nice for martial characters that arn't magic users, can't have that.

But yeah, in all seriousness, just designate something that they already have as a class skill and use that for the purpose along the same lines as casters have to follow for there concentration checks.

Cloud
2014-05-19, 08:05 AM
What Metahuman1 said seems about right. XD

Personally I make the point blank shot feat make shooting ranged attacks no longer provoke to make it somewhat less terrible. Otherwise yeah you could go with a skill check, or given that pathfinder uses CL for concentration checks, use BAB for this one?

Sception
2014-05-19, 08:22 AM
I'd use basically the same mechanics. Maybe scale the DC based on the hit dice of the threatening enemy, since there's no spell level?

Leave it based on concentration, and add concentration as a class skill to any likely archer classes that don't have it already, and add additional skill points / level to likely archer classes that are currently working with only two.

While you're at it, up the min skill points per level of, well, any class other than wizard maybe, to 4 + int, and maybe up a couple of the current 4+ classes to 6+, along with adding basic utility skills fitting various archetypes of the class.

Spot, Listen, and sense motive to guardian types, diplomacy and know: history and nobility to those who might conceivably be generals or tacticians, etc. The core rules, and class design in general through most of 3e's life, were way too stingy with class skills and skill points.

DigoDragon
2014-05-19, 08:35 AM
Personally I make the point blank shot feat make shooting ranged attacks no longer provoke to make it somewhat less terrible.

Oh, I like that idea. I'm gonna steal that. :smallsmile:

Andion Isurand
2014-05-19, 08:54 PM
What about also amending the text for some of the feats that deal with making ranged attacks, so that for each one, you gain a dodge bonus to AC to avoid attacks of opportunity provoked by attacking with (or loading) a ranged weapon while threatened?