PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Stormthorn
2007-02-14, 07:27 PM
Oblivion, i just got it. I made a character who casts some spells and stabs stuff. I want to know:
A: What i should do in this great big game and where i should go and what i should see
B: Anything you want to tell me about how much you loves/hate this game.

toddex
2007-02-14, 07:59 PM
The answer, any damn thing you wanna do.

No one can tell you how to play this game man lol. Im surprised someone is asking for a path in such an open game.

Stormthorn
2007-02-14, 08:09 PM
Openess scares me. Some sort of direction would save me from a lot of getting killed later on when i try things to hard for me.

JellyPooga
2007-02-14, 08:14 PM
Yeah, do what you wanna do.

If you want some advice.

1)Poison. It's so incredibly good that you don't need to be good at combat if you use it. Even at level 25 you'll rarely have to hit something more than twice if you use poison. Oh, this is if you make your own (via Alchemy), not just buying it.

2)Guilds. The game is just about detailed enough that you can reasonably role-play in this game without feeling left out in the power department. Play a character, not a set of stats. If you're a sneaky assassin type, join the Brotherhood. If you're a clean-shaven fighter type, join the Fighters Guild. Obviously you can join all of them and just do the missions for the rewards, but I found the game so much more enjoyable for sticking to type (if you couldn't tell from my first bit of advice, I played an assassin type...heh heh heh)

3)Don't be scared to do what you want to do. The entire game is levelled. You will always find combat easy to challenging, but never impossible. Whether your opponents are more numerous, have better kit or are just harder to kill, as you go up in levels, your opponents do to.

Saurous
2007-02-14, 08:32 PM
Ah, Oblivion.

Anyway, I have basically the same advice. Join a guild as quickly as possible, it does help latter on. The Mages Guild is one of my favorite guilds, even though their quests are boring near the beginning. You can simply join the Guild by going to any of the main cities (Other than the Imperial City), and ask the guildhead there.

Also, I suggest when you get suited to everything, you should go out adventuring the countryside. There's never any telling what you may encounter. Goblin caves, wolves, dungeons, Daedra shines, everything!

Cybren
2007-02-14, 08:32 PM
Do you have it for 360 or PC? Because there's a lot of mods to make the game a lot better if you have it for PC

melchizedek
2007-02-14, 08:43 PM
I'd recommend joining the one or more of the three main guilds. Join the thieves guild, mages guild or fighters guild and do the quests for that guild. Another way to go is to pick a city and start exploring the area around it. Become good friends with the merchants in the area, and start clearing out all of the dungeons in the area. You'll make a lot of money and you'll find a lot of cool items. If you're doing this, I'd recommend LLeyawiin, Skingrad or Cheydinhal. They have the most places to explore. If you don't like those ideas, do something else. That's the glory of the game.

Archonic Energy
2007-02-15, 02:06 AM
join all the guilds...
sell al the guilds spare equipment.
enjoy.

Tekar
2007-02-15, 06:23 AM
Openess scares me. Some sort of direction would save me from a lot of getting killed later on when i try things to hard for me.
Don't be afraid, it really doesn't matter where you go because wherever you go the game will be the same. It is made so that you have a huge world filled with the same everywhere. Oh, just be carefull when you level up because leveling up is actually one of the only dangerous things in the game.

Stormthorn
2007-02-15, 08:00 PM
I just got pwnd by a bunch of little scamp dudes and i had four full blown guards backing me up! This is what happens when i get brave and explore a little. All my stuff ends up broken and, even though im the hero of Kvatch or whatever, people wont help me out by fixing it for free (which would be the smart thing to do since im the only one qualified to close down the Oblivion Gate outside their town) so im trying to fight of demons bare handed with busted armor.

Cybren
2007-02-15, 08:46 PM
Actually all they know is you're some bumbling halfwit who by some mircale walked into hell and got kicked out.
That IS of course if they recognize you. In which case htey know you need stuff so they'll be happy to give it to you. For a fee.

Actually, the better standing you have with merchants (That is how much they like you) they lower their prices and higher their offering price will be.

Darth Anthony
2007-02-15, 11:56 PM
I have played Oblivion all the way through the main quest, the mage guild, the fighters guild, and the arena champion. I took a break and came back to complete the assissin and thieves guild quests.

Here are my suggestions: (1) Save the game... a lot. (2) Wander the Imperial City once over to get a feel for the place. Talk to everyone you can, and you will start to pick up side quests. (3) Buy a house as soon as possible so you have a place to dump the stuff you cannot carry as a lower level character. (4) Join the Fighters and Mage guilds first and do all the quests. The mage guild is the more important one becuase it gives you the ability to create magic items and spells. (5) When you get a little more powerful (i.e. more spells and decent arms and armor), go and do the Arena Champion fights. (6) Build your alchemy skill. It will give you a real edge. One of the best potions to make is a "paralyze" potion. All you have to do is coat your sword (axe, dagger, or whatever) with it and you will be able to strike an opponent a few extra times while they are paralyzed. Other good potions are "fortify strength" (extra damage), "shield" (magic protection), and "fortify health" (extra hit points). (7) When you can enchant items, I suggest enchanting your armor with "shield" spells. You will get the extra protection without the extra weight.

Lastly, I recommend saving the main quest for later. I think it is more fun with all the nice spells and toys at your disposal. :smallsmile:

Tekar
2007-02-16, 03:55 AM
Nono, you should do the main quest as quick as possible because if you wait the monsters will level with you but the guards will remain the wimps they are and become utterly useless when helping you.

Darth Anthony
2007-02-16, 05:01 AM
I found the guards to be useless anyways. I had to try to keep them out of my line of fire rather than rely on them for support...

Arang
2007-02-16, 04:13 PM
Two of the most important things I did in this game was to turn the gamma down and the music volume up. It makes for a much more atmospheric game.

Then you want to download mods (or at least I did). One of the best mods to get is BTMod, which makes the menus and maps actually readable by reducing the font size so you can see about 20 items instead of 6.

Other great mods to have are a keychain mod, maybe something to organize your spells in a better way, and from there it's all about taste. Personally, I preferred getting rid of the random Oblivion gates and random vampirism, then I spruced up sneaking and bows a little because I wasn't doing enough damage with my assassin. I also removed the limits on rings, amulets and potions and made enchantment a little more powerful. And last, but not least, I got something to fix the horrible, horrible LOD.

In short, look around, get what you like and go crazy! :smallsmile:

Zophiel
2007-02-16, 04:32 PM
I would recommend just enjoying the game. Don't worry about maximizing your stat boosts each level, and definitely try to avoid spoiler/faq sites. I did that with Morrowind, and I got so sick of trying to track my progress to make sure I got the best level increase boosts possible. When I played Oblivion, I just played the game to enjoy it, and it was so much more fun (to say nothing of being more immersive that way). If your character is stealthy and you don't mind playing a murderer, the Dark Brotherhood quest line was one of my favorites. I did all of the guilds (Thieves Guild, Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Arena, Dark Brotherhood... I feel like I'm forgetting some), and I think the Brotherhood offered the most intriguing storyline. Also, don't worry about the main quest. People say, "Do it early so it's easier." I saved it for absolute last and was barely challenged by it, and I was only playing an Assassin. In fact, I got so bored that I would just pour on speed enhancements and zip my way through the Daedric realms to shut the gates down and get on with it. The main storyline was actually less interesting to me than most of the guild quests were, so by all means make sure you take your time and really enjoy those! Unfortunately, I can't speak to any mods, since I didn't bother with them.

Stormthorn
2007-02-16, 08:37 PM
Well, i found that the arena was much easier than closing the Gates (although the Gates do drop those nice stones) so im going to get rich doing that (im a Hero in the arena right now) and then buy a horse for fast exploration.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-02-17, 01:39 AM
I just finished getting the last of the achievements for the game (I'm on a 360) today. I originally did the dark brotherhood, the arena, the thieves guild, and the mages guild quests on a mage and stealth type character; then I created a new warrior type character (that I called the Paladin) and did the main quest line, the fighters guild quest, and the new expansion pack (the Knights of the Nine). Doing all that on my paladin character without any side quests or anything brought him to level 22. I cant wait for the Shivering Isles expansion pack (its supposed to have about 30 hours of game play. Plus I like the idea of an oblivion realm where the sky and everything around it isn't constantly blood red.).

But in the mean time, anyone have any ideas on some quests, ect, that would just be fun and worthwhile to do?

Archonic Energy
2007-02-17, 02:48 AM
and then buy a horse for fast exploration.

do some of the plot... you get given a horse free.

AmoDman
2007-02-17, 03:03 AM
I can't stress this enough, ADVANCE THE DAMN MAIN PLOT TO AT LEAST KVATCH! And then mess around to your heart's content...why? Because Oblivion is setup in such a manner so that if you level to a certain point in the game, you will most likely need some of the Daedric armours, weapons, etc. being dropped in the Oblivion gates as well as Sigil stones to enchant your gear so you can meet the increasingly difficult challenges headon. If you go really far into the game w/o correspondingly enhancing your gear...you will begin to feel incredibly weak.

Dragor
2007-02-17, 05:24 AM
I agree with amodman (although with less stress!) and you should advance the plot to Kvatch. If you're a fighter type, go and seek out the Arena straight away. Not only can you pick up free weapons and armour there (arguably sub standard, but good nevertheless), but you can earn some quick gold.

Alternatively, you can go to Weynon Priory and collect some of the kit off them. (A free paint horse, some standard equipment and a book which enhances one of your skills.) These are essential if you want to stay alive.

Also, go for hunts and explore in the woods often. They're really fun.

Khantalas
2007-02-17, 06:06 AM
Actually, I found it best to do all the side-quests I could do before going to Kvatch. That way, I wasn't blocked by Oblivion gates at every turn.

Saurous
2007-02-17, 05:56 PM
Hmm... I just completed the Sheogorath Daedra quest, and Sheogorath frightens me. I mean, the quest involves...

...having you go to a nearby, highly-superstitious Khajiit encampment. You enter the village, speak with the elder there, who tells you about a prophecy. It occurs in three parts: The Plague of Vermin, the Plague of Famine, and the Plague of Fear. The first says that vermin will invade the town, which you accomplish by using a highly-odorous cheese that a nearby innkeeper has. The second says that the livestock will drop dead, which you accomplish by feeding the sheep rat poisoning that the elder owns. And the last, Sheograth accomplishes. I was wondering what was happening, because he told you to stand in the middle of town. I waited and waited, and then the sky turned red...and...and....

It rained wolf corpses. That were on fire. :smallconfused:

NEO|Phyte
2007-02-17, 06:33 PM
Hmm... I just completed the Sheogorath Daedra quest, and Sheogorath frightens me. I mean, the quest involves...

...having you go to a nearby, highly-superstitious Khajiit encampment. You enter the village, speak with the elder there, who tells you about a prophecy. It occurs in three parts: The Plague of Vermin, the Plague of Famine, and the Plague of Fear. The first says that vermin will invade the town, which you accomplish by using a highly-odorous cheese that a nearby innkeeper has. The second says that the livestock will drop dead, which you accomplish by feeding the sheep rat poisoning that the elder owns. And the last, Sheograth accomplishes. I was wondering what was happening, because he told you to stand in the middle of town. I waited and waited, and then the sky turned red...and...and....

It rained wolf corpses. That were on fire. :smallconfused:

Most bizarre quest ever, but loads of fun. Enjoy Wabbajack, just hope you get lucky with what you end up with when you zap something

Khantalas
2007-02-17, 07:38 PM
I gave Wabbajack away for opening the gate to Heaven.

Bah. Why should I give Azura's Star, anyway? I love my souls.

Saurous
2007-02-18, 09:41 AM
Most bizarre quest ever, but loads of fun. Enjoy Wabbajack, just hope you get lucky with what you end up with when you zap something

When I first experimented with it, I turned a Troll into a Troll. It worked better the second time, by turning the next Troll into a sheep. :smallbiggrin:

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-02-18, 09:30 PM
Anybody else ordered Shivering Isles yet? Iknow, I know, it's not coming out for a month but MAN! That game looks awesome!

Myatar_Panwar
2007-02-19, 01:42 PM
I'm just gonna purchase it on Xbox live when it comes out, so I don't really need to worry about that. But do you know the exact release date? All I heard was that it was coming out in spring.

Saurous
2007-02-19, 05:35 PM
I'm just gonna purchase it on Xbox live when it comes out, so I don't really need to worry about that. But do you know the exact release date? All I heard was that it was coming out in spring.

It comes out March something. I need to look it up again.

Ah ha! March 30, unless Wikipedia is lying to me.

Cybren
2007-02-19, 08:10 PM
I can't stress this enough, ADVANCE THE DAMN MAIN PLOT TO AT LEAST KVATCH! And then mess around to your heart's content...why? Because Oblivion is setup in such a manner so that if you level to a certain point in the game, you will most likely need some of the Daedric armours, weapons, etc. being dropped in the Oblivion gates as well as Sigil stones to enchant your gear so you can meet the increasingly difficult challenges headon. If you go really far into the game w/o correspondingly enhancing your gear...you will begin to feel incredibly weak.
not technicly true. The enemies scale to your level. It's possible to build a character that is only level 1 the whole game, but while still advancing your skills. In which case hte game will be outsandingly easy.

Daracaex
2007-02-19, 09:17 PM
If you are up for a challenge, get Oscuro's Oblivion Overhall 1.3 and start a new game. It limits the level scaling so that you are likely to actually not be able to complete certain dungeons and such until you are higher level. And it's totally random too. I cleared out one cave with some difficulties, then went into the one down the road and got killed every time I tried to take on the bandits inside. Also, it adds a bunch of new stuff like lockbashing, hot-key-able torches, a better combat mechanic that makes someone get knocked out for a second when their fatigue goes down all the way, a quest that allows you to gain faction with animals, slavers to deal with, groups that raid each-others' strongholds, new monsters like Dryads, seducers, and new types of already established monster types, and a whole load of new armor and weapons. I'm running around with a halberd right now!

Teh_Jakester
2007-02-24, 03:42 PM
I can not stress this enough - Kill an Innocent bystander. You'll see why.
+ I beat it. All. On 360.

bingo_bob
2007-02-24, 04:08 PM
Shivering Isles?

*looks*

Crap. So much for thinking I'd escaped Oblivion's call... that looks awesome on so many levels... Hooray for mushroom trees being back!

As for Oblivion, if you're concerned about item power, wait a while to do some of the sidequests, you get better rewards.

And in my experience, it doesn't really matter when you do the main quest.

blackout
2007-02-25, 08:39 PM
Simply put? Find an ayleid statue. Sell to a guy named Umbacano. Money. $$$ :)

AmoDman
2007-02-27, 04:51 AM
And in my experience, it doesn't really matter when you do the main quest.

To an extent. You can be gimped quite a bit a ways into the game if you at least didn't progress the main storyline far enough to be getting loot from Oblivion Gates, and the longer you wait to finish the main quest the more pimped out your character will eventually have to be to hope to take down some of the baddies.

step07mar
2007-02-27, 03:06 PM
this game is excellent no matter what you do. i just got knights of the nine and it has been superb where i finally had a map for all wayshrines. i say it is more fun to just stick to one of the two simple sides in this game, good and evil. so if you are good most income will come from quests and the death of evil, and evil most of it is thieving (which im good at) it dosnt really matter where you do the main quest but dont leave it out.

laggerific
2007-03-07, 12:26 AM
Oblivion, i just got it. I made a character who casts some spells and stabs stuff. I want to know:
A: What i should do in this great big game and where i should go and what i should see
B: Anything you want to tell me about how much you loves/hate this game.

If you got it for the PC then download some mods that help to make the game fun.

Glad you asked for the love and hate...cause I couldn't stand this game...I had hope after hope that one day the Elder Scroll series would stumble into the genre of Computer RPG that I could enjoy, one where your stats truly affect how the story plays out, something like Planescape Torment, or Fallout 1&2...but what you get is a huge MMORPG without the multiplayer or online part. I really felt like I was in a grind house...the conversations with people felt wooden and the manipulation of conversations was awkward and unsatisfying at best. And, of course the worse part is knowing that Bethesda has the rights for the next Fallout game.

Bethesda's game crafting hasn't come close to the finely honed excellence that the Fallout series was (bugs and stability notwithstanding).

So, go get those critical mods that reduce the evenly leveling enemies and whatnot and you might be set...

One last thing...the combat rocked...I just wish the rest of it could have too. Of course, I was a huge fan of the Ultima Underworld series, so it's nice to see how far FP combat has come in RPGs. And as an Ultima gamer, I really really felt let down by dungeons beind so generic with the leveling of the enemies and the treasure you would find. Part of the wonder of the Ultima series was risking adventure into unknown territory and stumbling across some really cool stuff...or getting beat down and running away with your tail between your legs all the way back to Lord British.

Here's hoping Mass Effect manages to pull together a convincingly organic massive environment...