PDA

View Full Version : Outright Ban on Full Casting

torrasque666
2014-05-19, 11:29 AM
Got the idea from the idea for reducing full spellcasters to bard progression, how would a game's balance be effected by banning full casters? Mostly because I have a deep-seated hatred for full casters due to being able to say "Oh, you invested time in your skills to accomplish this? Meh, (spell X) and I did it with no effort." Understanding that full casters make up for the games awfully skewed scaling system, similar restrictions would be applied to monsters as well. What sort of restrictions would need to be applied to them in order to not screw over everyone due to a lack of magic?

John Longarrow
2014-05-19, 12:16 PM
Cutting full casters will make dragons either much nastier or still just nasty, depending on how you deal with their casting.
Raksasha loose out.
Sylphs become pretty weak.
Dryads are even weaker.

Course a lot of the lower planar beings with high level spells become very deadly.

CyberThread
2014-05-19, 12:18 PM
If you ban full casting, make it an rp reason not a game balance one, you will seem less like an asshat for it.

Low magic world, is a good common reason for it. An if players have to live in this world then your monsters should also , if you as a DM think it is okay to have monsters running round casting blink at level 5 but the players have to wait until level 10 or so due to bard casting, then you have a problem.

So the basic is, you are taking away players tools on a situation , that WOTC designed certain monsters around, beware that you don't make your players feel sour because of it.

torrasque666
2014-05-19, 12:30 PM
Oh clearly. If I was going to make it a low magic world where nothing over 4th or 6th level was available, I'd repurpose monsters appropriately. SLAs would massively raise CR to accommodate.