PDA

View Full Version : Spore!!

deepdweller
2007-02-14, 08:29 PM
Has anyone else heard about this game?

if so what are your thoughts

I personaly think the game is going to be realy good itneedstocomeoutsooniwanttoplayitsobad

WampaX
2007-02-14, 08:39 PM
*Dig Dig Dig*

Here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17099&highlight=spore)

Gralamin
2007-02-15, 01:07 AM
According to the rules though Wampa, that threads dead.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-15, 01:13 AM
Spore looks awsome. Iwannitiwannitiwannitiwannit...

J_Muller
2007-02-15, 01:15 AM
Spore looks to be made of pure win and biscuits.

rabish12
2007-02-15, 01:27 AM
if so what are your thoughts
It looks awesome. Even if it's not, stuff like the procedural random generation and compression that is uses (which allows them to generate an entire universe for the game that's filled with different planets that have different climates and very different creatures without having to do absolutely all of it by hand, and then allows them to shrink that universe down with a 1000:1 compression rate and fit it on a single disc) are probably going to be a pretty big deal for the industry as a whole.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-15, 03:00 AM
VGCats on Spore: linka (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=199).

Tekar
2007-02-15, 06:17 AM
It reminds me of B&W, so I'm going to wait and see how it will actually turn out.

Arlanthe
2007-02-15, 10:35 AM
It's not like B&W. B&W had zero procedural generation. This is the first big test tube game for that kind of content, and I too am doing the pipi dance waiting for it. The concept of blending P and U content (procedurally generated; user generated) in addition to the normal D content (developer generated) in this ,anner is evry exciting.

I actually signed up for the mailing list, and it's all been crickets though. They havent update their web page in months. I wouldn't hold your bladder on this one, because it looks like it is going to be awhile.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-15, 12:38 PM
From what I've seen, it would be more accurate to consider it a cross between Creatures and Civilization, only moreso, and begining at the amoeba stage.

I actually signed up for the mailing list, and it's all been crickets though. They havent update their web page in months. I wouldn't hold your bladder on this one, because it looks like it is going to be awhile.

Yeah, it may be that they attempted something too ambitious. I hope the project won't pull a Daikatana.

Tekar
2007-02-15, 12:49 PM
I meant that it reminds me of B&W in the way that that game would too be groundbreaking with great new features and never seen before content and gameplay. In the end the game was just mostly boring and most of the features were frustrating. I think that spore has the risk of turning out the same way. I hope the developpers will manage to make this new kind of gameplay interesting.

Glaivemaster
2007-02-15, 02:21 PM
Spore looks awesome, but it's very unlikely I'll be able to get a computer that runs it in the foreseeable future, so I'll just have to rely on other people's opinions. Shame

madfool2
2007-02-15, 02:31 PM
I'd buy a new computer for spore, such a shame they now have vista.

InaVegt
2007-02-15, 03:08 PM
I've been waiting for this game since november '05, I can wait a little longer.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-15, 03:21 PM
I think I heard somewhere it's coming out in the second half of 07.

Khantalas
2007-02-15, 03:25 PM
"Oh mighty Spore, oh terrible Spore
We have been waiting since days of yore
You are in my dreams, you're great, you see
If you come out too great, I'll even buy a new PC

From tiny cells without a nucleus
To intergalactic civilizations with a tyrannosaurus
To evolve, to grow, to conquer all
I must heed your seductive call

Oh great Spore, oh divine Spore
Will Wright's working on you, but we can't wait more
To pay millions of bucks to see your sacred menu
I can't write poetry, but I tried for you"

Arlanthe
2007-02-16, 07:57 AM
"Oh mighty Spore, oh terrible Spore
We have been waiting since days of yore
You are in my dreams, you're great, you see
If you come out too great, I'll even buy a new PC

From tiny cells without a nucleus
To intergalactic civilizations with a tyrannosaurus
To evolve, to grow, to conquer all
I must heed your seductive call

Oh great Spore, oh divine Spore
Will Wright's working on you, but we can't wait more
To pay millions of bucks to see your sacred menu
I can't write poetry, but I tried for you"

*Applause* Yaay! That was awesome!! I feel the love!

I wouldn't worry about this "flopping" like B&W. And even B&W was cult successful in it's own way. This project is being mastermind by Will Wright, who is a genius and responsible for the greatest selling video game ever of all time. He creates complex worlds and tools, not scripts.

Jibar
2007-02-16, 07:58 AM
I meant that it reminds me of B&W in the way that that game would too be groundbreaking with great new features and never seen before content and gameplay. In the end the game was just mostly boring and most of the features were frustrating. I think that spore has the risk of turning out the same way. I hope the developpers will manage to make this new kind of gameplay interesting.

Obviously you were a good God.
*Has fond memories of making sister's pet evil whenever she wasn't around*
Hehehe...nothing quite like watching a giant Orang-utan flinging crap at villagers.

Dragor
2007-02-16, 08:03 AM
Obviously you were a good God.
*Has fond memories of making sister's pet evil whenever she wasn't around*
Hehehe...nothing quite like watching a giant Orang-utan flinging crap at villagers.

Good times. Good times.

Anyhow, Spore looks t3h aw3s0me!!!111!!! It simply looks groundbreaking on all levels. And am I right that Will Wright is retiring after this game? Here's hoping he goes out with a bang. Hopefully this game is the one we'll remember him for, and not The Sims.

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-02-16, 04:43 PM
The game brings a tear to my eye, That is awsome. . . It will be more than what we expect. . . Its going to be CRAZY GOOD! My mantle has clay figures made by mwah, of what i will make!

Desidus
2007-02-16, 05:39 PM
I still have every intention of making a penguin race... do beware, they will find all of your puny races when you dl them... and stare evily at them. you heard me right, stare

rabish12
2007-02-16, 05:54 PM
Good times. Good times.

Anyhow, Spore looks t3h aw3s0me!!!111!!! It simply looks groundbreaking on all levels. And am I right that Will Wright is retiring after this game? Here's hoping he goes out with a bang. Hopefully this game is the one we'll remember him for, and not The Sims.
Will Wright, retire? How could you say such horrible things?

*grabs for nearby teddy bear and squeezes tightly, weeping tears of utter and absolute terror*

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-02-16, 11:31 PM
Dude, the guys amazing, hes going to be pumping out monsters like this for years to come! Plus he is like, funny! You can make a freaking CAREBEAR!! I mean thats bad ass! Im going to probaly be one of the poeple who desgin more than they play.

Collin152
2007-02-17, 08:02 PM
Oh yeah, this game is going to be awesome. i intend to make a race of Gultenous blind monsters with three mouths and hands where eyes would be. And mouths where hands would be.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-17, 08:15 PM
I'm making a biped humanoid rabbit in homage to Sam & Max as my first critter.

Inyssius Tor
2007-02-17, 08:31 PM
I think these guys (http://www.davidszondy.com/future/otherworlds/othermoons/titan.htm) are high on the list for me. The one thing that worries me, though, is the ominous rumbling about water civilizations; Will Wright said that they're "on the cusp of deletion."

NEO|Phyte
2007-02-17, 08:33 PM
My first creation will be Illithids. Sure, they will lack the awesome mental abilities, but squidface!

rabish12
2007-02-17, 08:47 PM
My first creation will be Illithids. Sure, they will lack the awesome mental abilities, but squidface!
Lack the awesome mental abilities? Try telling them that when they build a weapon capable of destroying an entirely planet and unleash its unholy might upon the unsuspecting universe!

Rumda
2007-02-17, 09:13 PM
I wonder how beholder like you could make a creature in spore it would have to be aquatic to get the full effect though

Pagz
2007-02-18, 12:14 AM
^ or give him really really small legs :smallbiggrin:

Spore looks like its going to be one of the best games out this year (or for that matter, a lot of years)

I cannot possebly express my eagerness to acquire this game, although its not out until the third quarter... Oh well, no crazeh aliens for me until then.

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-02-18, 10:13 AM
It wont come out for about 3 1/2 months, problly longer.

Destro_Yersul
2007-02-18, 09:41 PM
I demand this game. I demand it quite thoroughly. Once it has been demanded by me far past the point at which demanding it gets ridiculous I shall demand it some more, just to get the point across.

My first creature will be some sort of centaur, but with a scorpion body instead of a horse.

Rama_Lei
2007-02-18, 09:54 PM
I want Spore's babies. Seriously, most amazing game ever.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-02-18, 10:00 PM
It wont come out for about 3 1/2 months, problly longer.GameFAQs lists the release date as September 2007.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-19, 06:04 AM
GameFAQs lists the release date as September 2007.

Yeah... what's your point? It's not as if EA has released an official release date, so they're just lying through their teeth.

neriana
2007-02-19, 10:53 AM
EA has an official release date, and it's October. It might (probably will) change, of course, but that's what they've told game stores.

AmoDman
2007-02-19, 11:15 AM
I demand this game. I demand it quite thoroughly. Once it has been demanded by me far past the point at which demanding it gets ridiculous I shall demand it some more, just to get the point across.

My first creature will be some sort of centaur, but with a scorpion body instead of a horse.

Funny, I said long ago that I want to make an Andalite (http://tn1-2.deviantart.com/fs10/150/i/2006/080/7/b/Andalite_Anatomical_by_osandstorrm.jpg).

rabish12
2007-02-19, 03:01 PM
EA has an official release date, and it's October. It might (probably will) change, of course, but that's what they've told game stores.

Correction: that's the date game stores claim. That doesn't make it official by any means, especially since those stores have this rather nasty tendency of tossing out false dates to boost preorders.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-19, 05:35 PM
The official release date is: After Q1 2007.

That's it. Anything else is a bold-faced lie.

Lemur
2007-02-19, 08:15 PM
If Spore is everything that it looks like so far, it'll be quite the thing. I'm not sure if I should call even call it a game- it looks more like a work of art than a commercial computer game. As impressive as it looks, I'm somewhat worried that it will be too cerebral to be the kind of big seller that more impulse oriented games usually are.

Nevertheless, I look forwards to it, and expect it to be considered a new step for the medium.

rabish12
2007-02-19, 08:36 PM
If Spore is everything that it looks like so far, it'll be quite the thing. I'm not sure if I should call even call it a game- it looks more like a work of art than a commercial computer game. As impressive as it looks, I'm somewhat worried that it will be too cerebral to be the kind of big seller that more impulse oriented games usually are.
The game eases you into the sandbox so that you don't actually have to deal with anything particularly complex until you're ready for it. Everything scales up gradually - you go from playing something that's somewhat similar to Tetris to a sort of Pac-Man-style game, then it scales up to a Diablo-style game of sorts, and then onto something like Populous, and then things scale up to a sort of SimCity clone, then up again so that you're controlling an entire civilization, and then into the massive sandbox - so it shouldn't be too much of a shock for anyone playing it to start out.

theKOT
2007-02-20, 12:35 AM
The game eases you into the sandbox so that you don't actually have to deal with anything particularly complex until you're ready for it. Everything scales up gradually - you go from playing something that's somewhat similar to Tetris to a sort of Pac-Man-style game, then it scales up to a Diablo-style game of sorts, and then onto something like Populous, and then things scale up to a sort of SimCity clone, then up again so that you're controlling an entire civilization, and then into the massive sandbox - so it shouldn't be too much of a shock for anyone playing it to start out.
I would think Tetris would be after Pac-Man in a least-to-most complex game listing.

Spore is coming to DS. I might just wait for that version.

rabish12
2007-02-20, 02:24 AM
I would think Tetris would be after Pac-Man in a least-to-most complex game listing.
Yeah, I suppose. Pac-Man's harder though.

Spore is coming to DS. I might just wait for that version.
Judging by several of the Sims ports, you might not want to. Odds are that you won't be getting a game that's even remotely similar to the PC version.

Sophistemon
2007-02-24, 01:39 AM
I have been waiting for this game since before they started working on it. And in the year and a half I've known about it, every minute that I don't have it hurts.

Miklus
2007-02-24, 11:42 PM
It looks so cool! Me want!

Finally someone comes up with a new idea for at computer game. Let me list:

Civ IV
RCT 3
Medieval Total War (number four in the series)
Moo 3
HoMM 5
Railroads (building railroads has been done to death)

It's the same old games over and over and I'm BORED!

I wonder how "linear" the game is, though. Can you make a snake or a bird?
I want to make a trilobite!

blackout
2007-02-25, 08:59 AM
I'm totally making a bunch of TAU! And then getting them PULSE RIFLES! *twitchtwitch*I can recreate the Tau race, and fix all their problems...like the Greater Good crap. Or, maybe some Kroot! OR VESPID! OR KROOT/TAU/VESPID HYBRIDS! Or something else! PRETZEL MAN WANT SPORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-02-26, 06:32 PM
My race will be so great! Herbivores with many self defense weapons!

Krellen
2007-02-26, 06:42 PM
The official release date is: After Q1 2007.
Spore is a myth, like Fallout 3 or Ron Perlman.

More seriously: I'll believe it when I see it. There's been hype for this game for, what, three, four years now?

Sophistemon
2007-02-26, 09:21 PM
Kellen, do not plant doubt in my mind. I just... I just wouldn't be able to take it.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-26, 09:50 PM

More seriously: I'll believe it when I see it. There's been hype for this game for, what, three, four years now?

Dont jinx it man, dont jinx it!!

Toric
2007-02-26, 10:49 PM
While it probably won't be possible to make Beholders as a creature type, it might be possible to make flying machines based on them, with different guns mounted on stalks coming off the round main body.

Ever since I heard of this game I've wanted to make a race of enlightened orcs. I even made up a conversation between two such orcs sipping tea and commenting on the brutish cow-people in a lofty british accent.

NEO|Phyte
2007-02-26, 11:46 PM

Myth my ass, they sat Robin Williams in front of the thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5TXEUiR1Xk), it exists. Its just a matter of them deciding we are worthy of the awesome that is Spore.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-27, 03:53 AM

Except we've seen videos of Spore in action, which can't be said for Fallout 3?

Krellen
2007-02-27, 10:34 AM
Ah, grasping hopefully at third-hand evidence. How mythic. :smallbiggrin:

neriana
2007-02-27, 10:44 AM
Ah, grasping hopefully at third-hand evidence. How mythic. :smallbiggrin:

Fallout 3 was (is it still?) merely "in production". Spore has developer interviews, Will Wright demonstrating the game personally, massive amounts of hype, and they just signed Brian Eno to do the music. It's coming out.

Krellen
2007-02-27, 12:07 PM
Spore is as mythic as Ron Perlman is.

YPU
2007-02-27, 12:44 PM
Spore is real, or better be cause it is such a hype that there would be deaths if it is declared canceled.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-27, 12:54 PM
Spore is as mythic as Ron Perlman is.

In the same way that every single item in the world is a myth before it is released?

Tekar
2007-02-27, 02:01 PM
Fallout is dead. Any game that calls itself Fallout 3 is a fraud (especially if it's made by Bethesda, and if it's first person, and if it's real time, ...)

Sophistemon
2007-02-27, 03:18 PM
Hmm... who else like the idea of a race of bipedal, four-armed displacer beasts?

AmoDman
2007-02-27, 06:14 PM
Hmm... who else like the idea of a race of bipedal, four-armed displacer beasts?

THAT might be a little difficult to customize in the creature creation...unless a ways in you can start giving them super powers as weapons. Yay X-men! Or better yet, Kryptonians!

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-27, 06:18 PM
THAT might be a little difficult to customize in the creature creation...unless a ways in you can start giving them super powers as weapons. Yay X-men! Or better yet, Kryptonians!

I think he may just want four-armed panther anthros with tentacles.

Who wouldn't?

Sophistemon
2007-02-27, 06:28 PM
Or a Shokan. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mortal_Kombat_species#Shokan)

Aww, who'm I kidding? I'm gonna make one race and then bio-engineer a multitude of slave-races.

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-02-27, 06:32 PM
I liked the idead of a crab-like species with four extra limbs for arms. All spikes until tech, then they get hands.

AaronH
2007-02-27, 10:05 PM
I just want to create Cthulhu esque nightmare creatures

afternoon
2007-02-27, 10:07 PM
I'm glad I saw this topic- this game looks really interesting. We'll have to wait and see how some features play out...
I'm curious as to how customizable/easy the creation systems are. I could see it easily falling to far to either direction... they make it look so good on the website!
Also, I wonder how similar all the races are functionally once you hit the civilization/space eras...

heretic
2007-02-27, 10:33 PM
My crawling heads will eat you all. They have to! They're CR 20...okay, easy prey for the big boys. :smallfrown:

blackout
2007-02-27, 10:48 PM
Wait, I got it...Raptor-men with rifle-spears!

heretic
2007-02-27, 10:52 PM
Yes!

They could be a subserviant piece of a larger empire of different creatures, perhaps thin humanoids with blue skin and hooves...

J_Muller
2007-02-27, 11:04 PM
I just want to create Cthulhu esque nightmare creatures

Seconded. Once I get the hang of the creature editor, I'm cooking myself up some Lovecraftian horrors.

Toric
2007-02-27, 11:10 PM
And I'll be making creatures with as many legs as the game allows in as many different locations as possible just to see them walk.

RibbonViking
2007-02-28, 01:17 AM
I've been actively anticipating this game for well over a year now, and was severely pissed last fall when I found out that the release date had been pushed back an entire additional year.

I'm actually a grad student in paleontology, and I've done some biomechanics stuff too, so I'm more interested in the creature design than anything else, but I'm really skeptical about how flexible it's going to be. There was a post earlier in this thread saying that aquatic civilizations were borderline being taken out, which would be silly. If it's occurred to them, and they're putting so much effort into everything else, they should bloody well be able to make that work, rather than wimping out on it - especially since they keep pushing the release date back.

I also wonder about terrestrial critters being able to go back into the water (like whales, manatees, seals, plesiosaurs, turtles, etc.), and about anything flying. Even if not included in the initial release, those are definitely issues that should be remedied in an expansion. And of course I've got a long list of critters I intend to create when I finally get my grubby little mitts on a copy.

blackout
2007-02-28, 04:27 AM
Yes!

They could be a subserviant piece of a larger empire of different creatures, perhaps thin humanoids with blue skin and hooves...

Yeah, maybe with some bug-men thrown in for grins. Gotta have the bug-men. Wonder what I'm gonna call em...

(RIPOFF POWERS ACTIVATE!)

Destro_Yersul
2007-02-28, 04:57 AM
*waves hand* Call them Kroot! Call them Kroot! And give them a restaurant chain named Kroot Fried Material!

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-28, 05:01 AM
I wonder if I could populate a planet with nothing but Zerg units... flying creatures would be hard if not impossible, unfortunately. Buildings would be fun.

blackout
2007-02-28, 05:15 AM
Yeeeeeeah! Kroot! :)

*ripoffs rule*

And I like the idea of zerg. Maybe my alliance of sentient people will come to your planet and conquer you in the hopes of gathering up cheap slave-labor races?

Step 1: Progress society to the point of world domination(any number of ways)
Step 2: Build spacecraft. Try not to make it look like a disc, but more like a ship seen in Space Empires V or something.
Step 3: Train soldiers, and planetary militia. Begin populating other worlds in solar system, and in other star systems. Wait a few years, and conscript men and women from the colonized planets to go on 'scouting duty' on other planets.
Step 4: Find an intelligent, or semi-intelligent, race, and commence with 'accidental' hostile first contact.
Step 5: Conquer.
Step 6: ?

Destro_Yersul
2007-02-28, 05:19 AM
Step 6: Open a fast food chain (http://tsoalr.com/view.php?date=2004-07-05)

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-28, 05:23 AM
Step 7. ???
Step 8. Profit!

Yay SA memes.

blackout
2007-02-28, 06:38 AM
Hmm...Tyranid...

Penguinizer
2007-02-28, 07:58 AM
Hmm, I might make something. First, make an intimidating looking body. Maybe something resemblin nids. Then add in extra limbs with big claws, spikes here and there.

Too bad you cant give them cannon arms. Or make monstorous creatures instead of tanks.

Eldred
2007-02-28, 12:09 PM
I really really hope you can put wings on. That would be so good; you could make a race of angels. Nice...

Followed up by a race of demons... hehe.

YPU
2007-02-28, 12:21 PM
I wonder whether you have to make a creature symmetrical or if you can perhaps give a creature a huge claw and a dexterous hand. It has happened in nature so its not very far fetched.

Penguinizer
2007-02-28, 12:23 PM
It looked like they had to be symmetrical...

Still, Hyper intelligent tyranids :D

Maybe if you can make walker units then I can make a tank that resembles a Carnifex. Or maybe a Hierophant.

Sophistemon
2007-02-28, 04:26 PM
I found the inspiration for my Master Race (http://www.ravenmimura.com/images/full/Spellweaver.jpg).

Tormsskull
2007-02-28, 04:31 PM
I've never heard of this game until this thread. Having seen the responses I of course want to obtain and advanced copy so that I can ebay it to one of you at a very inflated price.

blackout
2007-02-28, 04:45 PM
I'm guessing your critters will be predatory?

The Orange Zergling
2007-03-01, 12:12 AM
I should block my computer against anything Spore related, watching videos and reading about it only make me want it more.

If anyone goes on a psychopathic impatience-driven rage somewhere in Minnesota, you'll know who it is.

blackout
2007-03-01, 05:47 PM
I just had an idea. Everyone knows Halo, right? Covenant, here I come! Or better yet, Elite/Prophet/Grunt/Hunter/Brute/Jackal/Tau/Kroot/Vespid slave races, all under the direct command of...STORMTROOPERS! :)

Katonta
2007-03-02, 12:43 AM
Your stormtroopers will fall to my MINI GIANT SPACE HAMSTARS!!! Led by a Giant Giant Space Hamstar!

InaVegt
2007-03-02, 05:27 PM
you will all fail against my ultimate Belkar/Rich burlew hybrid.

The Orange Zergling
2007-03-02, 09:28 PM
you will all fail against my ultimate Belkar/Rich burlew hybrid.

Pwnt.

So when does everyone think the official release will be? I think Amazon said December 12th, while two other gaming sites said October... According to Wikipedia, anyway.

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-03-08, 04:07 PM
It will be out in Early March. . .

blackout
2007-03-08, 04:14 PM
The Time Of Salvation Is Nigh! Make Your Sacrifices To The Gods Of Gaming! CAST DOWN ALL WHO OPPOSE RIGHTFUL GAMING!

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-03-08, 06:13 PM
for The Spore!

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-08, 06:17 PM
It will be out in Early March. . .

...Yeah, sure. Any source for that wild speculation?

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-03-08, 06:20 PM
Yes, he said so in a video. New video. . . of doom . . .

Rumda
2007-03-08, 06:34 PM
Where Where?!

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-03-08, 07:14 PM
Honestly, I have no idea. . . I found it on the Spore forum.

The Orange Zergling
2007-03-08, 07:32 PM
No offense, but I'm not believing that until I get proof...

DocZoid
2007-03-08, 10:02 PM
Are you sure that video was not from a year or so ago? Highly likely that the release has been changed since then. It seems the general idea is that it'll be out in the second half of this year.

Or is "early March" next year? :wink: It sure as hell isn't coming out this March..

blackout
2007-03-09, 08:38 PM
...the End Times Are Nigh! We Are Being Denied Spore! Repent! Repent For The Sins Of Working And Playing Sports! Repent For Watching Tv! Repent For Playing Board Games! The Gods Of Gaming Come For Your Souls!

Suraht
2007-03-09, 09:54 PM
As stated, this game looks like all kinds of awesome.

I just hope it doesn't fall into the Duke Nukem Forever curse.

Dragor
2007-03-10, 02:38 AM
As stated, this game looks like all kinds of awesome.

I just hope it doesn't fall into the Duke Nukem Forever curse.

I doubt that'll happen. Will Wright would almost certainly not let that happen. He'd develop it to the best of his capacity and release it. He wouldn't do the games graphics over to keep up with the rest of the universe.

blackout
2007-03-11, 04:34 PM
Yay! So...Spore's coming?

Destro_Yersul
2007-03-13, 02:54 AM
Patience, my young apprentice. For the great Spore will arrive when the time is right, as prophesied by Will the Maker. It will come in a rectangular ship, the heart of which is an ever-turning wheel. Legend has it that the great Spore itself is contained within this wheel, and we can but wait and see...

bluish_wolf
2007-03-13, 02:57 AM
Yay! So...Spore's coming?

Last I heard, late 2007/early 2008.

Arlanthe
2007-03-13, 03:49 AM
I think we're looking at 2008 folks. I haven't heard a peep from the Spore dev team in, seriously, six months? Ok, not quite true, they gave a few interviews and hyped up the vehicles in PC Gamer a few months ago, but the site is quiet. Quiet is bad.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-13, 03:54 AM
Uh. It's still only the third month of 2007, guys. Nine months is quite a while.

AmoDman
2007-03-13, 04:16 AM
Uh. It's still only the third month of 2007, guys. Nine months is quite a while.

And it's not like the game needs a lot of preliminary publicity. It's already gotten tons.

Inyssius Tor
2007-03-13, 04:18 AM
"Septemberish" is the vague word on the street now; it's from the mouth of the Maker himself... somewhere...

theKOT
2007-03-14, 12:00 PM
I loved the most recent demo, but I'd still like to see more of the underwater stage. I wonder if you can go through the game building your cities and civilizations underwater or if they force you out before you can form into intelligent groups.

Peter Harris
2007-03-14, 12:58 PM
I wonder if you can go through the game building your cities and civilizations underwater

That's a damn good question. Though I bet if you can't, there'll be enough demand for it that it'll be included in the inevitable expansion.

The new SXSW videos look incredible. I haven't been this excited for a game to come out since AT LEAST World of Warcraft, and I can't even remember the last time I was ancticipating a non-Blizzard game this much. Maybe Sim City 2000 or Civ III.

I want this and I want it NOW!

Erloas
2007-03-14, 02:00 PM
I loved the most recent demo, but I'd still like to see more of the underwater stage. I wonder if you can go through the game building your cities and civilizations underwater or if they force you out before you can form into intelligent groups.

I haven't really been following the game that close, but from what I've heard the original plan was to allow underwater civilizations if the player wanted to. But due to the fact that the game is taking forever some things are likely to be cut (they were too ambitious with the project in some cases) to get the game actually released and that underwater civilizations were one of the most likely things to be cut. It would be the sort of thing they would try to add back in later in an expansion if the game actually goes over well. They game has a lot of hype, the question is just how well it actually delievers on the promisses.

Sophistemon
2007-03-14, 03:42 PM
I want this and I want it NOW!
You and I are going to get along.

(Cue babyish tantrum in 3... 2... 1...)

I want it! I want it now! I want it I want it I want it!

InaVegt
2007-03-14, 03:44 PM
The I want it now philosophy is so CE, why have one thing now if you can have it all in a couple of years?

Sophistemon
2007-03-14, 03:46 PM
The I want it now philosophy is so CE, why have one thing now if you can have it all in a couple of years?
Because if I find out that I have to wait a couple years, I will die. My heart will literally explode due to disappointment.

NecroPaladin
2007-03-14, 08:56 PM
You'll all be sorry when I make my flying lobster people.

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-03-14, 09:00 PM
MY BAD IT WAS MAY! I always get them mixed up . .. . MY BAD!

turtleant120
2007-03-15, 08:01 PM
For all that is good in this world i hope your rite.
Im gonna make me some dragon people!

Arlanthe
2007-03-16, 12:39 AM
No zay it's May. Maybe late this year, at soonest.

J_Muller
2007-03-16, 01:07 AM
All the current estimates I've read place it at 3Q 2007...

Inyssius Tor
2007-03-16, 01:13 AM
In a recent (very short) article involving Will Wright and a Spore demo, it said he dropped an "uplift" monolith down on some planet, then said "no, wait, these guys are aquatic, I gotta drop it in the water..."

J_Muller
2007-03-16, 01:31 AM
In a recent (very short) article involving Will Wright and a Spore demo, it said he dropped an "uplift" monolith down on some planet, then said "no, wait, these guys are aquatic, I gotta drop it in the water..."

What? Some sort of fusion of Arthur C. Clarke and David Brin?

...that is made of solid, 24-carat win.

theKOT
2007-03-16, 01:44 AM
I saw the video, those were amphibious and not tribalized yet.

kuja.girl
2007-03-16, 11:11 AM
On my flight back from E3 last year I ended up seated next to someone on Spore's Dev team. We chatted a little... pretty niffty. He was playing a Zelda game on his NDS at the time. I was a tester for EA at the time and it was kind of a weird coincidence.

That almost a year ago and still no Spore. He dropped a hint that it was taking a while but wow, I mean EA was releasing videos of the features back then, and it was still going to take another year or more?

I'm just glad that I'm not testing the Sims 2 anymore. Pets was fun, especially with all the cheats we had :smallbiggrin: but I am glad that that chapter of my life is closed.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-11, 12:07 PM
I don't want to make a new thread about this, but: look, new video! (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/735/735340/vid_2047251.html)

EDIT: er, and an interview (http://pc.ign.com/articles/802/802448p1.html) and some new screenshots. (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/735/735340/imgs_1.html)

Mr Wizard
2007-07-20, 03:36 AM
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/146

Will Wright talk at TED.

The Orange Zergling
2007-07-21, 12:33 AM
In the video posted two posts above, I could have sworn that there was an underwater civilization in there...

Maybe they haven't been cut yet. =O

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-21, 12:57 AM
Those are some orfully bloomy bloom effects, but I don't see it...

SolkaTruesilver
2007-07-23, 02:29 PM
(for anyone who played GalCiv2)

I create the Snathi, a space-faring killer Squirrel specie.

Squirrels will dominate the world. MWAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Katonta
2007-07-23, 03:23 PM
I create the Snathi, a space-faring killer Squirrel specie.

Squirrels will dominate the world. MWAHAHAHAHAH!!!Hah! Well than, I will create giant Oak Trees! You will be forced to pick our poisonous nuts and store them somewhere for winter, where you must EAT THEM! Mwahahahahahahahaha! What, don't look at me like that. You know what I meant, sicko. :smallamused:

Exachix
2007-07-24, 02:00 AM
SPORE!

*grins*

I'm make something weird. I don't know what yet. :smallcool: I'll just play about and cope with what I get.

The Orange Zergling
2007-07-24, 02:46 AM
I'm still gonna make a planet full of Zerg.

Or Scrin, they would probably be easier. But Zerg are cooler. By a long-shot. Plus with the absence of Tiberium the Scrin are kind of worthless.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-07-24, 07:53 AM
I wonder the level of gameplay involved in the stellar scale. Will there be rival civilization that will ally themselves with minor species? Can we encounter a uber-ennemy, that we will have to use guile and brains to beat?

Can we trade? Can we land on a primitive planet, and enslave those supid Bajorans?

Eldred
2007-07-24, 10:15 AM
Well, seeing as you receive monsters from other people over the internet, the level of gameplay probably depends on how well the monster is designed. While you might not get a uber-powerful enemy, there's still a chance you could end up with an enemy civilisation which a player has designed so well that they could pose quite a challenge.

Enslaving creatures would be class :smallbiggrin:

Does anyone know the average amount of time it takes to go from the microscopic stage to the space stage?

SolkaTruesilver
2007-07-24, 12:41 PM
Is it only you who have the initiative? Meaning.. is it possible that YOU get visited by aliens while you are an animal, or a pre-warp civilization?

(arg.. too much Star Trek..)

Eldred
2007-07-24, 03:04 PM
Ohhhhh...

I dunno, I think it'd be cool if it was done, but it's likely that YOU will be the one visiting other planets. Otherwise you could end up being lasered to death before you can even get your own UFO.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-07-24, 04:11 PM
Perhaps. Since the uber-civ would have a total advantage, and could totally wipe us, maybe there could simply be a restriction on "enslavement"

(off course, it would be an option feature. You can turn the possibility on/off)

In short, the uber-specie lands, and tries to enslave your planet. You eventually have to throw them out, capturing their technologies, and returning it against them.

Ah... the classic Bajoran/Narn tactic..