PDA

View Full Version : Speed and Heavy Armor?

Bloodgruve
2014-05-19, 02:46 PM
Hey Playgrounders,

What allows you to increase your speed in heavy armor?

If I get Expeditious Retreat for +30 enhancement bonus to base land speed what will my speed be in full plate as a human?

Thanks,

Blood~

Gabrosin
2014-05-19, 02:50 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Diarmuid
2014-05-19, 02:57 PM
Hey Playgrounders,

What allows you to increase your speed in heavy armor?

If I get Expeditious Retreat for +30 enhancement bonus to base land speed what will my speed be in full plate as a human?

Thanks,

Blood~

Normal movement for a human is 30. In Full Plate you're down to 20 for a 1/3 reduction. Using your 60' base speed, you would be down by 1/3 so you would move at 40'.

Darrin
2014-05-19, 02:59 PM

Crystal of Alacrity (3500 GP, MIC). +5' morale bonus to speed.

Special Materials: Mithral, Darkleaf, Firebrass, Sentira, Glassteel, and Dragoncraft items can drop the armor into a lower weight category.

Half-Weight property (+3 enhancement, FR Underdark) lets you treat any heavy armor as if it were light armor.

In Dragon Magazine #355, there's a Fighter 1 ACF, "Armored Savant", that lets you treat armor as being one weight category lighter.

Bloodgruve
2014-05-19, 03:33 PM
Thanks all for the replies. This will be helpful.

Normal movement for a human is 30. In Full Plate you're down to 20 for a 1/3 reduction. Using your 60' base speed, you would be down by 1/3 so you would move at 40'.

Is this formula spelled out anywhere?

I've been calculating Base Land Speed -10 in med and heavy armor. So Human in Heavy Armor and Expeditious Retreat would have movement of 50'

Thanks,

Blood~

Diarmuid
2014-05-19, 03:42 PM
Not sure is this counts as "official" but: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040608a

Kuulvheysoon
2014-05-19, 03:46 PM
The Teeth of Dahlver-Nah: specifically, Savnok's tooth. 2000gp (slotless) and lets you ignore all movement related penalties due to medium/heavy armor. Of course, it's got it's own drawbacks, but it's pretty damned cheap for what it does.

hewhosaysfish
2014-05-19, 03:49 PM
Is this formula spelled out anywhere?

I would use the table for "Barding" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#bardingMediumCreatureandLarge Creature) as a precedent.

EDIT: Or, even better, there's a longer table for Encumbrance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm)

holywhippet
2014-05-19, 03:52 PM
Boots of striding and springing with give you +10: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofStridingandSpringing

That won't stack with expeditious retreat, but the effect is constant while worn and doesn't need to be cast.

There are also boots of speed which can be used to apply a haste spell for up to 10 rounds per day. I'm not sure if that stacks with expeditious retreat or not. Both are enhancement bonuses, but the latter is a flat addition bonus while the former is a multiplier so I'm not sure if they count as being the same.

Curmudgeon
2014-05-19, 04:19 PM
The table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#tableCarryingLoads) specifies the reduction for Medium/Heavy armor up to 100' base land speed. If you don't have the table handy, you can use the empirical formula of .69 x base speed, round to the nearest 5'.

holywhippet
2014-05-19, 06:01 PM
The table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#tableCarryingLoads) specifies the reduction for Medium/Heavy armor up to 100' base land speed. If you don't have the table handy, you can use the empirical formula of .69 x base speed, round to the nearest 5'.

That isn't for armor technically, it's for load. I'd have thought you would add bonuses after applying the penalty for medium/heavy armor.

One Step Two
2014-05-19, 08:01 PM
The best trick to increase speed in heavy armour? Simple. Be a Dwarf.

My favourite especially, is using the Quick trait. Though you might lose the benefit of the +1 Hp per level that their racial con bonus gives, you can now move 30ft wearing anything short of Mountain Plate. Heck, you can even tumble in full plate as a Dwarf, though the ACP is usually pretty high.

Cloud
2014-05-19, 09:21 PM
I personally just use mithril breastplate, that's almost sort of like heavy armour. =P More seriously, lots of suggestions here already, I was going to say Savnok's tooth actually myself too.

Holywhippet, armour reduction to speed and the one from encumbrance are basically the same, or more accurately, if you're using heavy armour, you're sort of under a heavy load (in that at least if you go into a heavy load while wearing heavy armour, you only take the worse of the penalties). Similarly being under say a medium load counts as being in medium armour for turning abilities off. So yeah, that table applies when using armour too.

Without the table, using medium or heavy armour basically reduces your final speed (after all boosts and whatever else) to 2/3, rounded UP to the nearest 5 ft.

Curmudgeon
2014-05-19, 11:05 PM
That isn't for armor technically, it's for load. I'd have thought you would add bonuses after applying the penalty for medium/heavy armor.
It doesn't matter whether it's for armor or load, and the rules don't allow you to stack any additional bonuses or penalties.
Like armor, a character’s load affects his or her maximum Dexterity bonus to AC, carries a check penalty (which works like an armor check penalty), reduces the character’s speed, and affects how fast the character can run, as shown on Table: Carrying Loads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#tableCarryingLoads). A medium or heavy load counts as medium or heavy armor for the purpose of abilities or skills that are restricted by armor. Carrying a light load does not encumber a character.

If your character is wearing armor, use the worse figure (from armor or from load) for each category. Do not stack the penalties.
The speed reduction for either armor or load is the same, after you determine the worse figure of the two.

Bloodgruve
2014-05-20, 08:57 AM
So, .69 x Speed rounded to nearest 5'. You learn something new every day.

I'm starting to see the value of the dwarf. Get a couple boosts going and you're full plate dwarf may be winning races.

Full Plate Dwarf with Expeditious Retreat 50'
Full Plate Human with Expeditious Retreat 40'

My next character will be a Full Plate sprinting Dwarf.

TY for the replies.

Blood~

Cog
2014-05-20, 10:03 AM
Keep in mind that the dwarf in question can tumble as well. Not many full-armor classes grant Tumble but they usually have Ride, and Cityscape's web enhancement lets you swap the latter for the former.

Seerow
2014-05-20, 10:25 AM
So, .69 x Speed rounded to nearest 5'. You learn something new every day.

I'm starting to see the value of the dwarf. Get a couple boosts going and you're full plate dwarf may be winning races.

Full Plate Dwarf with Expeditious Retreat 50'
Full Plate Human with Expeditious Retreat 40'

My next character will be a Full Plate sprinting Dwarf.

Full Plate Dwarf with Expeditious Retreat and the run feat running: 250'
Full Plate Human with Expeditious Retreat and the run feat running: 160'

Bloodgruve
2014-05-20, 12:17 PM
Full Plate Dwarf with Expeditious Retreat and the run feat running: 250'
Full Plate Human with Expeditious Retreat and the run feat running: 160'

I love this mental picture...

Blood~

Arc_knight25
2014-05-20, 01:00 PM
As Gimli stated, "I'm wasted on cross-country! We Dwarves are natural sprinters, very dangerous over short distances"

But this just goes to show that he was lying.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-05-20, 01:03 PM
Dwarves are natural sprinters, don't you forget. Very dangerous over short distances.