PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Chain Attacks

gr8artist
2014-05-19, 03:33 PM
In a fight, sometimes you have only a narrow window in which to act: a moment when the opponent lets down his guard, or a brief reprieve after you've struck a nerve. A great deal of fighters learn to maximize the effectiveness of these windows, hitting the opponent with attacks designed to widen the opening, or make a new one entirely. As they hammer down their opponents defenses, these fighters find - or make - greater and greater openings in which to make stronger and stronger attacks.
Fighting in this was is called a "Chain" or "Combo," and the following feats and rules are designed to mimic this behavior in a a mechanical sense.

Each time a character selects a chain feat, he gains access to a small number of special attacks. These special attacks use the normal attack and damage rolls for their type (unarmed, weapon, etc.), but usually incur some penalty or downside. Each special attack gained by a chain feat has an "initiate" rating, an indicator of the window of opportunity in which it can be used. It also has an "opening" rating, which describes the window of opportunity created after its successful use. A special attack which fails to deal damage creates no opening for further attacks. Creating an opening does not grant you an additional or free attack unless otherwise specified; rather, it allows you to use a different special attack for your next attack in that action. An opening is never usable outside of the action which created it, or against any creature other than the one you attacked to create the opening. Spending a free, swift, or immediate action during a full-attack routine does not negate any openings you have created.
An attack with an initiate rating of "Any" can be used at any time you can make a normal attack, such as an attack of opportunity, or when no opening has yet been made.
An attack with an initiate rating of "Lesser" can be used only after a lesser or greater opening has been made.
An attack with an initiate rating of "Greater" can be used only after a greater opening has been made.
An attack with an opening rating of "None" creates no opening for a better attack to follow.
An attack with an opening rating of "Lesser" creates a lesser opening, in which a better attack might be used.
An attack with an opening rating of "Greater" creates a greater opening, allowing you to use nearly any chain attack afterward.
An attack with an opening rating of "Finisher" creates no opening, and also prevents you from making any more attacks in that action. Finishers often have powerful effects which can greatly debilitate your foes.

Hands of the Serpent (Combat, Chain)

Your empty hands strike the opponent's face and head at blinding speed.

Prerequisite: Improved Unarmed Strike.

Benefit: You gain the following chain attacks.

Palm Strike: This is an unarmed attack with a -1 penalty to the damage roll. If the attack deals damage, the defending creature is dazzled for 1 round.
Initiate: Any. Opening: Lesser.
Eye Gouge: This is an unarmed attack with a -2 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack deals damage, the opponent must make a fortitude save (DC equals the damage dealt) or be blinded for 1 round.
Initiate: Lesser. Opening: Greater
Ear Smash: This is an unarmed attack with a -2 penalty to the damage roll. If the attack deals damage, the opponent must make a fortitude save (DC equals 10 + the damage dealt) or be deafened for 2d4 rounds.
Initiate: Greater. Opening: Lesser.

Fist of the Nereid (Combat, Chain)

Your attacks strike not only at the body, but at its ability to breathe and focus.

Prerequisite: Improved Unarmed Strike

Chin Strike: This is an unarmed attack with a -1 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits a creature casting a spell with a verbal component, the concentration DC to continue casting is increased by +5. If the attack deals damage, the opponent must make a fortitude save (DC equals the damage dealt) or he takes a -1 penalty to AC until the end of this turn.
Abdominal Strike: This is an unarmed attack with a -1 penalty to the attack and damage rolls. If the attack deals damage, the opponent must make a fortitude save (DC equals the damage dealt) or the defender is unable to hold its breath for 1d4 rounds and is fatigued during this time.
Initiate: Lesser. Opening: Greater.
Throat Strike: This is an unarmed attack with a -2 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack deals damage, the opponent must make a fortitude save (DC equals the damage dealt) or the defender is unable to breath or speak for 2 rounds. If the defending creature cannot hold its breath at the time that you strike it, then it is also staggered for 2 rounds.
Initiate: Greater. Opening: Lesser.

Pain 'n Suffering (Combat, Chain)

Your strikes are always designed to bring the maximum amount of pain to a creauture, even if they do not wound.

Prerequisites: Improved Grapple

Rib Strike: This is an unarmed or weapon attack with a -2 penalty to attack and damage. If the attack deals damage, the defending creature must make a fortitude save (DC equals the damage dealt) or it takes 1 point of damage each round for 10 rounds. This damage is nonlethal if the attack dealt bludgeoning damage, and lethal if the attack dealt piercing or slashing damage. This counts as bleed damage, and stacks with itself after multiple uses.
Groin Kick: This is an unarmed attack with a -2 penalty to attack and damage. If the attack deals damage, the defending creature must make a fortitude save (DC equals the damage dealt) or be sickened for 1d4 rounds.
Initiate: Lesser. Opening: Greater.
Neck Twist: This is a melee touch attack that deals no damage and takes a -4 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, the defending creature takes 1d4 damage and must make a fortitude save (DC equals the total damage dealt to them in this turn) or become paralyzed for 1 minute. This paralysis is instead permanent if the defending creature fails its save by 10 or more.
Initiate: Greater. Opening: Finisher

Gildedragon
2014-05-19, 03:59 PM
the strikes are interesting, but the opening and initate system is a bit overcomplicated
Opening: finisher has the same effect as Opening: none
Unless finisher means you can't use any more attacks (but in that case, why not?)

The numbering by how many prior attacks were needed (0-4) is tidier and conveys a similar sense. Essentially a particular Chain feat would establish a line of attacks that build off one another. (say for something that culminates in an unconciousness attack (which would be a good -sixth- attack) you have increasing conditions: stunned, staggered, dazed, disabled, KO)

also the move from Greater -> lesser feels underwhelming. You were piling on heavier and heavier effects (with lower and lower attack bonuses) and then you have to go back down...

gr8artist
2014-05-20, 04:57 AM
Well, the initial examples are all straightforward in their rating improvements.
Any > lesser, lesser > greater, and greater > something else.
In the future, I might add attacks that go straight from any > greater, but have much worse effects to compensate.
There will also be some attacks with better effects that go from lesser > lesser or something similar.
Finishers make you lose all further attacks in that action. So, if you're a 20th level fighter, and you rush a combo that goes any > lesser > greater > finisher over three attacks, you won't get your last attack (the one at -15). Finishers will have powerful effects with difficult DC's, and are meant to finish off a strong combo. This one is based more on fighting games than on real life, obviously, though there is some comparison in an all-out attack making you pause to catch your breath.
And I didn't want characters to be able to chain the best attacks together, which is why greater initiates have lesser or no openings. Such a thing could get really messy really fast.
I am aware that the other system is simpler, but I like this concept a lot and wanted to get it put out somewhere to see what others thought of it. Your opinion is appreciated; any ideas how I could keep a similar mechanic (regulating which attacks can follow after others) in a less complicated manner?
Perhaps I could make the initiate and opening values a default...
Normal attacks can be used at any time.
Lesser attacks can be used only after a successful normal, lesser, or greater attack.
Greater attacks can be used only after a successful lesser or greater attack.
Finisher attacks can be used at any time, but have DC's and effects dependent on the number of successful attacks you've made prior to their use.

I want to make Zell (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Zell_Dincht), dammit.

Gildedragon
2014-05-20, 01:50 PM
Well, the initial examples are all straightforward in their rating improvements.
Any > lesser, lesser > greater, and greater > something else.
In the future, I might add attacks that go straight from any > greater, but have much worse effects to compensate.
There will also be some attacks with better effects that go from lesser > lesser or something similar.
Finishers make you lose all further attacks in that action. So, if you're a 20th level fighter, and you rush a combo that goes any > lesser > greater > finisher over three attacks, you won't get your last attack (the one at -15). Finishers will have powerful effects with difficult DC's, and are meant to finish off a strong combo. This one is based more on fighting games than on real life, obviously, though there is some comparison in an all-out attack making you pause to catch your breath.
And I didn't want characters to be able to chain the best attacks together, which is why greater initiates have lesser or no openings. Such a thing could get really messy really fast.
I am aware that the other system is simpler, but I like this concept a lot and wanted to get it put out somewhere to see what others thought of it. Your opinion is appreciated; any ideas how I could keep a similar mechanic (regulating which attacks can follow after others) in a less complicated manner?
Perhaps I could make the initiate and opening values a default...
Normal attacks can be used at any time.
Lesser attacks can be used only after a successful normal, lesser, or greater attack.
Greater attacks can be used only after a successful lesser or greater attack.
Finisher attacks can be used at any time, but have DC's and effects dependent on the number of successful attacks you've made prior to their use.

I want to make Zell (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Zell_Dincht), dammit.

A few things:
Don't worry about OPing mundanes. The whole maneuver values thing is maybe cool (not to me but I can see the appeal) but needlessly restrictive. Let mundanes/melee have nice things
If you are really worried about Finishers have this category within each feat
finisher which ends the attack but gets a bonus per unused attack. As is finishers screw monks up the most cause they have the most attacks lost.

Having chain attacks add to the chain value would be a way to soft regulate. A chain attack can be used in place of any regular attack, provided that the attacker's chain value is high enough. Each chain attack increases the chain value by 1.

So you have
Something something style [chain, combat, fighter]
1.-
3.- something something increase your chain value by 4 instead of 1...
7.-