PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Mounted Flying U-Charge - How can it be done

A.A.King
2014-05-19, 04:17 PM
I'm not at all familiar with the flight rules and I would really like it if someone could explain to me what I need to make this possible (X = me, E = Enemey and It's a side view not a top view)

|
|X
|
|____E___

|
V

|
|
|
|___XE____

|
V

|
|.............X
|
|____E____

You fly high, then down to the Enemy then fly back up again. Looking at the rules for Charging and the Ride By Attack and they keep mentioning that it has to be a straight line. Does it have to be in a straight line when you're flying on a Hippogriff? If so, how come and if now, what do I need to make it possible?

Werephilosopher
2014-05-19, 04:22 PM
Why not fly in a straight line 10 feet above the ground? Then the enemy is always in reach and there's no need to zig zag.

A.A.King
2014-05-19, 04:31 PM
Why not fly in a straight line 10 feet above the ground? Then the enemy is always in reach and there's no need to zig zag.

...Because in my head atleast that doesn't put out of range for melee (which is probably wrong...) and because the U-Charge was just the way my head (stupid thing -.-) told me a flying mount should be used.

Kazudo
2014-05-19, 04:32 PM
Flyby Attack [General]
Prerequisite

Fly speed.
Benefit

When flying, the creature can take a move action (including a dive) and another standard action at any point during the move. The creature cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a flyby attack.
Normal

Without this feat, the creature takes a standard action either before or after its move.

That might be something akin to what you're looking for, although I don't know how it would work with a charge only to permit you, simply by nature of the wording, to make a full round move action with a standard attack in the midst of it (similar to a charge).

OldTrees1
2014-05-19, 04:55 PM
You cannot do a U turn Charge (a charge ends its movement before the attack). But you can do a U turn Flyby Attack.

First we need a mount that can exit a dive with a u turn and a climb.

If a mount has Average Manueverability then:
It needs to move horizontal for 5ft between diving and climbing.
It dives at 10ft of movement per 5ft of speed. (Any angle)
It climbs at 5ft of movement per 10ft of speed. (60 degree angle)

S/
|
|__/
E

Diving 10ft (costs 5 speed)
Horitzontal 5ft (cost 5 speed)
Climb 10ft with 5ft horitzontal movement (cost 20 speed + 5 speed)
Total cost: 35ft speed

If a mount has Good Manueverability then:
It needs to move horizontal for 0ft between diving and climbing.
It dives at 10ft of movement per 5ft of speed. (Any angle)
It climbs at 5ft of movement per 10ft of speed. (Any angle)

S
|
|
E

Diving 10ft (costs 5 speed)
Climb 10ft (cost 20 speed)
Total cost: 25ft speed