PDA

View Full Version : Toothed Tentacle in different schools?

Corwin_of_Amber
2014-05-19, 09:24 PM
I kind of want to make a Dread Witch that uses a spell like Toothed Tentacle (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050202a&page=3) (bottom) to dish out Fell Frighten, but I'd rather ban Evocation. Is there a spell with similar mechanics in Necromancy/Transmutation/Conjuration?

Basically something that allow multiple rounds of attacking and possibly multiple attacks. Does such a thing exist?

A_S
2014-05-19, 10:46 PM
Cloud of Knives is ace for this.

Chronos
2014-05-20, 07:55 AM
Chill Touch, maybe?

Darrin
2014-05-20, 10:01 AM
Hmm. Whip of thorns (Champions of Ruin) comes kinda close, and is transmutation.

In Unearthed Arcana, a 5th level Transmuter can use Spell Versatility (Ex) to learn a spell from another school and treat it as a transmutation spell.

Corwin_of_Amber
2014-05-21, 11:20 AM
Cloud of Knives is ace for this.

Is there a way to get multiple attacks with it? Would Twin Spell work or would that fall under the redundant effects rule?

A_S
2014-05-21, 03:02 PM
Is there a way to get multiple attacks with it? Would Twin Spell work or would that fall under the redundant effects rule?
I don't believe that Twin Spell would get you two knives per round, since it's essentially a buff that gives you the ability to chuck one knife per round, and casting the same buff on yourself twice doesn't double its effect.

However, there are a couple things that might help with this:
The attack given by Cloud of Knives is a free action, so you're free to have both it and, say, Whip of Thorns up at the same time, which adds up to multiple attacks per round. Since you're talking about a wizard build, it's also nice to have the option to make a fear-delivering attack AND cast a spell in the same round.
Cloud of Knives is a valid target for Share Spells, if you haven't ACF'd away your familiar. That would get you a second knife attack per round.