PDA

View Full Version : Racial levels

TheElfLord
2007-02-15, 12:41 AM
I like what the Warcraft RPG does with racial levels instead of LA. I'm about to start a low level game and I don't want to limit my PC's too much in their racial selection. I know Libres Mortis has racial level progression for many undead. Is there a book out there that does the same for non undead races with a LA?

oriong
2007-02-15, 12:45 AM
There is Savage Species which was intended for just that purpose, however it is 3.0 and often considered 'shaky' when it comes to balance.

starwoof
2007-02-15, 12:45 AM
Savage Species. Its a 3.0 book, and some parts are unblanced, but otherwise its pretty fun. Watch out for some of the feats.

The_Snark
2007-02-15, 12:51 AM
Watch out for the feats, and keep an eye on the progressions themselves- some of them are... unbalanced, especially at low levels. The ghaele, for example, which casts as a level 3 cleric at level one. Most of it should be pretty easily fixable, though.

That said, it's a nice way to use level adjustment, and it helps you see what you're getting for that level adjustment. It often makes a lot more sense for level adjustments to be that high when you look at the progression. Not always, but sometimes.

Aximili
2007-02-15, 12:52 AM
Savage species splits the creatures abilities/HD/Stats bonus in a reasonable way. Once you update the abilities/stats bonus of the intended creature (according to the new MM), the racial class can be considered 3.5 material.

Zincorium
2007-02-15, 04:37 AM
Stick with the racial level portion, don't even bother checking the templates or anthropomorphic animals if you care about a balanced game.

Since the entire point of the racial level system is to equal at it's final level a character who'd just taken the HD and LA as is, you can switch things between levels to even out the progression without worrying too much about upsetting the end balance.