PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Malware and Spyware Help

Callos_DeTerran
2014-05-20, 01:49 AM
Okay, I don't know quite what I did, but suddenly ads and double-underlined hyper-links are appearing all over Mozilla for me and I know this is a...very, very poor sign. Problem is, I'm broke and can't afford the good versions of anti-spyware/malware programs. The last time this happened I just ran a quadruple scan of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Hitman Pro., avast, and McAfee Security Scan Plus and it seemed to solve the problem...thing is, at least two of those want me to upgrade to the premium version to keep using them which is the big problem.

Is there any way to get around this or other good, reliable anti-malware/spyware (free) programs that I could run? Or do I need to squeeze money out of...somewhere to buy the upgraded versions of one of the above?

Douglas
2014-05-20, 02:40 AM
Check your browser addons and extensions. It's probably something that snuck in there.

Melayl
2014-05-20, 08:04 AM
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware should solve the problem by itsself, and shouldn't be one of the programs saying you need to upgrade to continue using it. Have you run it already?

erikun
2014-05-20, 08:28 AM
Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and Spybot - Search and Destroy are all good options from what I've experienced. Make sure they are up to date.

However,

Check your browser addons and extensions. It's probably something that snuck in there.
is most likely the cause if you've already ran some anti-malware scans. Even if you remove the malware, an add-on or change in browser settings will remain until you turn them off. It depends on which browser you are using, but you'll want to clear cache and disable all add-ons, plus restore defaults if possible. That should resolve the issue, then you can go about turning back on the add-ons and settings you want.

Also, scan your computer after you've fixed the issue with your browser - no telling what snuck in while it was still active. What you describe definitely sounds like an add-on.

Max™
2014-05-20, 02:58 PM
Open the browser in safe mode and see if the behavior is still the same, if not, go through and check the addons like other said.