PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Animal Companions suited for underground?

RedMage125
2014-05-20, 03:00 AM
I may be joining a campaign soon, and I'm thinking of playing a druid (or Arcane Heirophant), and I seem to remember a book where it listed alternate animal companions for druids more suited towards underground environments. That, or something that allowed a druid to have an elemental, I thought I remembered that...

Anyone know what book(s) those other animal companions may be in?

D&D 3.5 books allowed, set in Forgotten Realms, so all FR and non-setting-specific 3.5e books allowed.

And I am going to push for Theurgic Bond from Dragon #325

eggynack
2014-05-20, 03:08 AM
I don't know where the underground companions are, but elemental companion can be found on page 33 of complete mage. Also, if it helps, you can find one of the more complete animal companion lists on page 41 of the PHB II. It might be totally complete, at least where non-alternate companions are concerned, but I've yet to check.

Diovid
2014-05-20, 04:14 AM
The elemental companion alternative class feature can be found here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a

In addition the 6th Goliath Druid substitution level (Races of Stone) allows you to apply earth elemental-ish template to your Animal Companion.

Other than that Badgers, Dire Badgers and Wolverines have a burrow speed (Gnomes can speak with them, if you're into that). There might be other animals with a burrow speed outside of core though.

Baroknik
2014-05-20, 04:50 AM
I would suggest the earth elemental class feature from complete mage (available online on wizards website as well). If your DM will let you wing it, maybe consider seeing if you can upgrade it to a Thoqqua at either Druid Level -3 or Druid Level -6 (as it is on the SNA III list and those are the levels that other SNA III creatures are available as animal companions). Thoqqua are pretty cool in that they are one of the few creatures that LEAVE a tunnel behind when they burrow. You no longer are forced to follow the path of caves and tunnels -- forge your own way!

Darrin
2014-05-20, 11:05 AM
Oops. Wrong thread.